PDA

View Full Version : redline waterwetter in winter?

GTS Jeff
11-08-2004, 05:01 PM
i recently did a coolant flush and i got the coolant to water ratio to be just under 70-30. i did this cuz this provides the lowest freezing point and the best protection against cavitation. i also mainly wanted to use up the whole jug of the stupidly expensive toyota red coolant.

the only problem with a 70-30 mix is that it slows heat transfer from the block, so im thinking about putting in some redline water wetter to counter that. is using water wetter alright in the winter? will it raise the freezing point of my 70-30 mix?

who is using redline waterwetter thru the winter with no problems?

redline
11-08-2004, 05:04 PM
I have used waterwetter in the winter with no ill affects but i dont think that it will help the freezing point issue.

GTS Jeff
11-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by redline
I have used waterwetter in the winter with no ill affects but i dont think that it will help the freezing point issue. basically, i just dont want to find out after pouring in some WW that my freezing point has jumped way up.

FiveFreshFish
11-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Is heat transfer going to be much of an issue in the winter months? You'll rarely see ambient temps above 10C for the next few months, so I don't see it being a problem unless your block had heat transfer problems in the summer with the proper coolant mix.

dieselpower91
11-08-2004, 05:14 PM
I've used it in my truck through winter. Don't think it will effect your coolant freezing point.
Maybe ask your local performance parts store to double check.

GTS Jeff
11-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Is heat transfer going to be much of an issue in the winter months? You'll rarely see ambient temps above 10C for the next few months, so I don't see it being a problem unless your block had heat transfer problems in the summer with the proper coolant mix. the issue is that a high coolant to water ratio slows heat transfer even tho it has a higher bp. (thats why ppl in lower latitudes run with only 20% coolant) im not worried about the car overheating, rather im worried about the cylinder wall temps rising because the coolant isnt efficiently transferring heat away. the engine is already on the edge of pinging, so i want to do everything i can to keep the temperatures stable and down.

anyhoo i just went and bought a bottle of the stuff.

Inthered
11-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Jeff, read on the back of the bottle of wetter and you'll know. It says in plain engrish that it doesn't affect your freezing point.

GTS Jeff
11-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Inthered
Jeff, read on the back of the bottle of wetter and you'll know. It says in plain engrish that it doesn't affect your freezing point. ok man...but if ure wong...

Dirty_SOHC
11-09-2004, 01:28 PM
I've been told that it freezes, but I no comfirmation on that rumor

GTS Jeff
11-14-2004, 09:47 PM
alright wtf, i sprung a leak from my upper rad hose as soon as i put in this stuff. i guess it made the water a bit too wet?

i tightened the clamp a bit more, but im not really sure if it fixed the problem since i wont see the car for another 6 months...

Horatio
11-15-2004, 04:12 PM
I've been using WW in our Civic since I got it in '98 with no issues. I think that it really only affects the water in your your cooling system though, so it's not going to have much effect on the heat transfer in the mix you're talking about.

Also, you'll probably be shocked to find a sludge that looks like you've got an oil leak somewhere when you've been running the stuff for awhile

Greg

Inthered
11-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
ok man...but if ure wong...

hahahahaha, wtf! wong=hahahaha

As long as you use like 50% coolant/50% water/and a bit of WW for winter, you should be fine.

GTS Jeff
11-16-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Inthered

hahahahaha, wtf! wong=hahahaha

As long as you use like 50% coolant/50% water/and a bit of WW for winter, you should be fine. 65/55/half a bottle of WW

bmeier
11-16-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
65/55/half a bottle of WW

you mean 65 / 35 ??

GTS Jeff
11-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by bmeier

you mean 65 / 35 ?? haha yes i do.