PDA

View Full Version : who can paint on this site!????

7thgenvic
11-08-2004, 06:58 PM
howdy ya'll i have my winter beater, which has a little rust on it and needs to be respraid. i have all the paint a booth, i just don't know how to spray, so give me a PM!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks, jonny

ZorroAMG
11-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Dude, auto paint is quite easy to spray, and if it's a beater, what a better way to learn?? Just do smooth even strokes, 10-15" away from the car, starting and stopping your spray OFF the car......I've toyed with it and it worked fine!

TRY IT :)

kanjus_paki
11-08-2004, 08:19 PM
spraying is easy, prep work and masking is where youll be kicking yourself in the ass

7thgenvic
11-08-2004, 08:43 PM
hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, well looks like im going to have to learn! whats something good to cover the rust and stop it, well not stOP it but cover it up and prevent it from comming back fast????????????????/

jonny

Skylinelover
11-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Well sand it down and cut it out and put in a new peice of metal.

shadow
11-08-2004, 10:00 PM
yep sand it down and either put in a new peice of metal or coat it with a couple layers of acid wash.

Cause if you paint over the rust without doing anything it will bubble under the paint and in no time... it will be a wasted effort.

7thgenvic
11-08-2004, 10:47 PM
im afraid to cut and weld a new piece just because of the angle of the original piece, so whats the best to cover the rust, its not all the way through at all, so i can just sand, acid, and bondo????

GoChris
11-09-2004, 12:02 AM
bondo!

shadow
11-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
im afraid to cut and weld a new piece just because of the angle of the original piece, so whats the best to cover the rust, its not all the way through at all, so i can just sand, acid, and bondo????

Yep sand it down.... make sure you get all the rust or it will come back and haunt you later. Then put a couple layers of acid wash this should protect you against what you cannot see. Then bondo it in and sand it down make sure it is smooth... run your hand over it.. if you feel anything weird keep on working at it... Because anything you can feel with your hand you are gonna be able to see once the paint is on. After it feels smooth you may have little pinholes in the bondo... you just need to grab some finishing compound.. I forget the exact name and do not feel like going out to the garage and searching for it. =) Basically it comes in a tube and is a looot easier to sand it is for filling very minor imperfections.... sand it down... now at this point it should be realllly smooth and ready to paint. =)