PDA

View Full Version : Review: Chicago Chop House *Updated*

BebeAphrodite
11-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Hmm.. had a horrible experience the first two times I went there but ended up there a little while ago again.

I got there at around 9:10 pm and left at around 12:30 am --> mind you this lengthy stay time was not by choice.

We sat in the Lounge and had about 10 people.
It took over 45 minutes for my drink to come (and I had to go to the bartender to get another drink because the waitress never came to our table). Apparently others at the table had been waiting for us to arrive because the waitress wouldn't take their order until everyone arrived (they got there at around 8:00 pm).

I ordered mussels and shrimp for appetizer, chicken breast for dinner, and a cheesecake for dessert. The dinner took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to come. My dinner came before my appetizer. Someone else didn't even get their appetizer (which was a soup).

I was handed a plate of calamari and the waitress said "here's your calamari because we ran out of mussels". (WTF? Shouldn't they tell you this a little after you order it... and what if I hated calamari?)

Keep in mind that the calamari/shrimp came another 10 minutes after the chicken breast came. My chicken breast was burned at the tips and dried. The scalloped potatoes on the steak dishes were baked potatoes cut in half with some sauce drizzled on it (obviously a last minute put together).

My dessert came minus the caramel ... and it's a CARAMEL cheesecake.

The person who decided to get everyone to go to the chophouse complained to the manager. She was told that it was her fault that this had all happened because she hadn't made reservations in the dining side of the restaurant and had overwhelmed the waitress who had all of 6 tables (max) to look after (ours being the largest).

Very very disappointing -- comes very close to my opinion of La Caille (which is still my most hated restaurant).

My 'calamari/mussels', chicken breast, and dessert were taken off of the bill. There were about 6 of us eating and the bill still came to several hundred (don't remember).

I saw the waitress 4 times in 3 hours.. gotta love that service :D and watching her sit on a guy's lap while my food sucks and I'm hungry but she never came to check how my food was.
:thumbsup:

Food: 0.2/5
Service: 0.1/5
Ambiance: 4.5/5
Price: 0.3/5

GTS Jeff
11-09-2004, 12:46 AM
yup been there and it was ass. its what happens when u eat at pretentious places for pretentious people.

Weapon_R
11-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
I ordered mussels and shrimp for appetizer, chicken breast for dinner, and a cheesecake for dessert.

:eek:

I feel sorry for your boyfriend! What ever happened to the days when a girl would order a salad as an appetizer, meal, and desert...

7thgenvic
11-09-2004, 01:00 AM
i know exactly what your talking about went once and it was PAR, second time with my family it was brutal! for the money and prices you would expect alot better ! big boo to that joint!

badseed
11-09-2004, 01:07 AM
I would suggest Hy's steak house. Best steak I've ever had, the sides were'nt anything special but the steak made it worth while. The service was perfect and our meals were brought in a timely manner. Overall my experience was DOPE!!!!:thumbsup:

t-im
11-09-2004, 01:32 AM
Hy's has gone downhill in recent years!!!...I wasn't too impressed when I went a few weeks ago

Smugglers Inn is downright nasty now...8+ years ago it was good and it was downhill from there

Impreza
11-09-2004, 01:35 AM
Carver's is still number one in terms of steakhouses imo

badseed
11-09-2004, 01:35 AM
Smugglers is hurtin. I had the prime rib last time and I'd rather eat garbage.

Didn't know Hy's is slippin, sad to hear but I'll have to see for myself.

Ajay
11-09-2004, 02:20 AM
I still like Ceasars Steakhouse. The Chophouse is a terrible restaurant.....I'de rather go to the Keg or Outback than to the Chophouse.

I used to do valet parking there about four and half years ago ane when I worked there all the waiters and waitresses I ever talked to were all snotty bastards. Guess nothing's changed.

00redLUDE
11-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by t-im
Hy's has gone downhill in recent years!!!...I wasn't too impressed when I went a few weeks ago

Agree with you there. Went there a few weeks ago, steak was very good but the service was not that great. Ordered our deserts and the waiter took 15mins to tell us that the desert was not available that night. :thumbsdow

2002civic
11-09-2004, 12:21 PM
ceasars is my fav, youd think vickers would have some better service at such a high priced establishment

2002civic
11-09-2004, 01:39 PM
well of course the owner would haha but youd think hed take a lil more pride in hs restaurant, but i guess when he owns everything that he does he could care less

max_boost
11-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

:eek:

I feel sorry for your boyfriend! What ever happened to the days when a girl would order a salad as an appetizer, meal, and desert...

Her bill alone probably comes close to $100........:rofl:

Anyhow, what a shitty experience. :thumbsdow Not cool.......I would have just got up and left

t-im
11-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Vintage Chophouse is good :)

BebeAphrodite
11-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Vintage Chophouse is good :)

hmm.. I've tried Vintage three times now and each time it was disappointing.
The steaks were bland each time but the mussel appetizer was good. :dunno:

7thgenvic
11-09-2004, 07:58 PM
i had the best steak at denny's wooozers!!! hahahah
JKKKK

but on a side note i just noticed what you drove: hahahahahahah

-jonny

sputnik
11-10-2004, 08:03 AM

hmm.. I've tried Vintage three times now and each time it was disappointing.
The steaks were bland each time but the mussel appetizer was good. :dunno:

Are there any restaurants that you actually like?

00redLUDE
11-10-2004, 03:40 PM
With the food and service being that bad did you even give a tip? Just wondering because when I go out and the service or food is bad I still give about 10% tip instead of $0.01 tip which is bad because they probably end up thinking I'm a cheap fu*k instead of the food or service being the problem. :thumbsdow

BebeAphrodite
11-10-2004, 04:08 PM
ya.... i think our table left like 20% tip on the total tab

max_boost
11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
ya.... i think our table left like 20% tip on the total tab For that type of service?!?!:eek: :eek:

I would have just settled for Calgary Court :thumbsup: :rofl:

abyss
11-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Chophouse is Overpriced and Underportioned, I think we paid like 45.00 for a 4 ounce really gross, burnt steak. We never went back.:eek:

BebeAphrodite
11-10-2004, 07:49 PM
^^-- ha ha ha, sounds like my first two experiences. I've only been there three times but something was burned everytime.

abyss
11-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Oh, that same time, I think we paid 7.00 for 3 peices of broccoli with cheez whiz on it. :thumbsdow

GucciBoy
11-13-2004, 10:51 AM
This doesnt surprise me from yet another Tom Vickers chain - biggest racist bastard in this town.

I had a buddy who used to work there, and when he was first hired he told me that "the mgr" told him to keep it an all white party and offer extra attention to them.

eb0i
02-15-2005, 12:50 AM
I actually like Chicago Chop House a lot. I have taken past dates/gf there many a time and everytime I have went I have had top notch service and great food. I don't find them racist towards me (I'm asian) and leave every time feeling very satisfied.

69cougar
02-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
This doesnt surprise me from yet another Tom Vickers chain - biggest racist bastard in this town.

I had a buddy who used to work there, and when he was first hired he told me that "the mgr" told him to keep it an all white party and offer extra attention to them.

I think you mean Paul Vickers

BebeAphrodite
04-28-2005, 06:37 PM
So I went back yesterday for dinner because they've redone the place.

Started w/ a lobster bisque, mussels, and shrimp cocktail. All were great.
For a main course I had Filet Mignon with crab and potatoes.
And for the dessert I had the chocolate cheesecake that tastes just like the caramel cheesecake.
Food was fantastic this time!

Food: 5/5
Ambience: 5/5

dragonone
04-29-2005, 09:33 AM
calgary's such a redneck town
i can never get gd service unless i'm waving the bills, it's so sick (i mean at a above average restaurant like hy's or river cafe)

A790
05-04-2005, 02:37 AM

Smugglers Inn is downright nasty now...8+ years ago it was good and it was downhill from there

I couldn't disagree more.

I was at Hys two months ago and I had an amazing evening. Terrific Ceaser Salad, Fantastic Steak and Amazing Service. A+ in my books (I'm very discriminating).

Smugglers as well. I was there about three weeks ago and enjoyed a soup, salad and "owner and friends" cut Prime rib and was absolutely satisfied with my dinner. Again, A+.

Godfuader
05-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Bumping this old thread. Any newer comments on the place cuz I have reservations there next thursday? For a group of 6, where should I ask to be seated?

vadeit
05-22-2007, 10:42 PM
This isn't from personal experience, but my boss took some guys from one of our other offices there 2-3 weeks ago. He told me that it was shitty, made all the more terrible by the prices.

spyce
05-22-2007, 10:50 PM
I went there for my first time last summer and thought it was overrated. I personally didnt think it was worth the price there.

Give me the cajun creole steak at cactus club :drool:

phreezee
05-22-2007, 11:02 PM
I wholeheartedly agree... sucks ass.

How can you even call yourself a chophouse if your best cut is a New York Strip?!?!?

I'll never go back.

Godfuader
05-23-2007, 03:29 AM
Alright, so far The Tower is shit, Chicago Chop House is shit...any upscale restaurants ($50/person) that dont suck?

Super_Geo
05-23-2007, 09:36 AM
^ Casesar's, Murietta's (the lamb is killer), Buchannan's

I've only been to Buchannan's once... but it's less than a block from my place so I thought fuck it, give 'er a whirl. Holy shit they have some niiiice scotch there :eek:

R-Audi
05-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Vintage Chophouse is one of my favorites.....

(Not the same as Chicago fyi)

De Dutch
05-23-2007, 02:11 PM
The one and only time Ive been to the Chicago Chophouse we had a very similar situation except we were in the dining room for a small Birthday Reservation (Maybe 8 people). Service was slow, and meals and drinks took forever to complain. I never complain at restaurants, and will never send food back, but the fucking service was so bad we had to complain. They were very apologetic and gave us over $100 in gift certificates.

Ice712
05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
The Chicago Chop House was is like all of Vickers joints...it's over priced for the sake of being over priced.

I think he thought that people would overlook the bad food and service for the hype of a place to be seen.

The only problem is that people are a little smarter than that (I hope) and they figured out that hey this food is over priced, the quality it not there, and there service is horrible.

It's the TRIFECTA!

max_boost
05-23-2007, 09:31 PM
CAesars has been good everytime. I always go to the lounge and get the same lady, apparently she has been working there for over 20 years. Very efficient at what she does. :thumbsup:

phreezee
05-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

x2 The Filet Mignon is great!

LaDeeDaDeeDa
05-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Caesers>Chophouse.

Any rest. chain owned by that redneck Vickers is a sh!thole.

LaDeeDaDeeDa
05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

(Not the same as Chicago fyi)

I would avoid that place too, (unless its changed ownership in the past 2yrs) but I doubt that. Ive lost all respect for the owner and management ever since my gf's sister worked there for 2 monhts when they first opened and they tried to get away without paying her a cent after she quit. So she went through absolute hell to get her money and she eventually did after going through the labour board and threatened to shut down the place - her aunt is a lawyer who works with this kind of stuff and got involved. Paid visits and sent letters to the owner, eventually he sh!t his diapers and coughed up the money plus whatever fees for the labour board and lawyer fees. He ended up having to pay out of his rear end for something he could have easily avoided it. WHAT A F'KIN PRICK!

Godfuader
05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
aite, then Vintage and Caesars seem like the choice places. Would we look out of place if we showed up dressed up to either of these places?

ZorroAMG
05-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by LaDeeDaDeeDa
Caesers>Chophouse.

Any rest. chain owned by that redneck Vickers is a sh!thole.

Carvers>Ceasers>Hy's>Chophouse

me&you
05-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
aite, then Vintage and Caesars seem like the choice places. Would we look out of place if we showed up dressed up to either of these places?

You'll be "aite" dressed up (I hope that doesn't mean your nicest t-shirt).

Zorro... Carver's over Caesars! Hmmm, can't agree.

Caesars>Hys>Carvers... the rest

sputnik
05-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Carvers>Ceasers>Hy's>Chophouse

Hy's is gone. It is currently a hole that is 4 stories deep.

Never been a huge fan of Carvers myself. Maybe its just the "old people decor" that bothers me the most.

ZorroAMG
05-25-2007, 02:36 PM
A whale's vagina.....

Agree to disagree.

:D

Godfuader
05-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by me&you

You'll be "aite" dressed up (I hope that doesn't mean your nicest t-shirt).

Thinking along the lines of a dinner jacket sans tie.

smurfette
06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
My company booked the Chicago Chophouse for our Stampede party....and is the service ridicules so far. The marketing coordinator said max capacity is 150 yet we confirmed 200 pple. Then they limit us to just a band playing for entertainment, no karaoke...ridiculous considering we're paying $1500 for JUST the room for 2 hours.

Isaiah
06-27-2007, 12:53 PM
The Chicago Chophouse is probably the worst dining out experience I've had in my entire life.

The food was terrible, overcooked, and ridiculously overpriced.

The service was even worse than the food and I found the staff (not just our server but all 4 people we spoke to while we were there) to be extremely pretentious and rude.

There was nothing even above average about that dump and suffice it to say, I have never been nor will ever be back. That goes for all of Vickers' establishments based on the service and treatment that I've received there.

copynpaste
04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah
The Chicago Chophouse is probably the worst dining out experience I've had in my entire life.

The food was terrible, overcooked, and ridiculously overpriced.

The service was even worse than the food and I found the staff (not just our server but all 4 people we spoke to while we were there) to be extremely pretentious and rude.

There was nothing even above average about that dump and suffice it to say, I have never been nor will ever be back. That goes for all of Vickers' establishments based on the service and treatment that I've received there.

+1 was there last week and felt the same way.

Dont mean to bump an old thread OP, just didnt want to start up a new one since I see theres one going.