PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so passionate about they're cell phone provider?

Talies R
11-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Why are people so passionate about they're cell phone provider?

There's always heated discussions, I don't understand why? what's the big deal?

roopi
11-09-2004, 02:25 PM
We're all :nut:

We just want to feel as though we have and use the best. It's not just cell phone providers its the same with cars.

Ford vs Chevrolet?

Mercedes vs BMW

Talies R
11-09-2004, 02:27 PM
But every company now days offers the same packages and phones can be unlocked to use with any provider, is there a company out there that is really superior to the others?

and vehicles are one thing, but phones?

roopi
11-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Well phones can be unlocked (only GSM) but only for Rogers and Fido which are now one company but will remain 2 brands. They will share networks offering the same coverage at different rates.

I don't feel as though the packages are the same. For one thing compare long distance rates between providers. Fido is $0.10/minute and the rest are $0.25/minute. Quite the difference.

lint
11-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Talies R
But every company now days offers the same packages and phones can be unlocked to use with any provider, is there a company out there that is really superior to the others?

and vehicles are one thing, but phones?

Well, rogers and fido have GSM phones that can be unlocked and used on other GSM networks. But you can't say the same for Bell or Telus. The plans are quite even for the most part, so the other piece of the equation is service (whether it's cellular service or customer service). Some people like the latest and greatest, others like reliability and the comfort knowing that they'll be able to make/take a call when they need to. Alot just boils down to personal experience. Once you've had a bad experience, people tend to shy away from that provider, unless there is something (service, phone numer, plans) that tie them there.

blinkme_210
11-09-2004, 03:00 PM
I myself HATE TELUS and their phones, but they provide the best coverage by far. So I would rather have near landline reception than flashier phones.

Khyron
11-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Yah same - I'm on Telus but I'm certainly not passionate about them. Rogers has neater phones but blah reception. Shrug.

Khyron

BigShow
11-09-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm with Fido, and I can't complain about the rates and I find the reception to be above average, but the customer service is horrible so I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend them.

Shaolin
11-09-2004, 03:27 PM
I can't afford to change cars every year :D

I'm not passionate about my cell phone provider.. I'm not going to get into an argument on whether which is better.. I've used Fido, Rogers and Telus.. I'll give my feedback, but not going to waste my time arguing over opinions :D

I have to say that so far Rogers is the best out of the 3 in my experience, but only because my phone is Quadband. With just the 1900 band to play with, I'd say Telus is better.

It depends on what you want.

Don't know about you guys, but I remember back in Elementary we'd have heated debates over whether Nintendo or Sega was better
:rofl:

Akagi Redsuns
11-09-2004, 03:33 PM
People are passionate because people tend to take feedback for thier cars,cell providers,homes, brandname equipment....etc .....personally. For some people insulting thier posessions is almost like insulting the person themselves. They made a choice in buying thier products and services and insulting them is insulting thier choice and ultimately them kinda.

I don't mind hearing different opinons on my cars, cell providers, ....etc. I don't think things like personally as people have different opinons and can't all be the same.

t-im
11-09-2004, 03:37 PM
I have to say

Telus = best reception
but
Telus phones = yuck..

I'm with rogers, reception sucks and the phones are pretty crappy too (their "newest" phone -t637 is pretty expensive considering it's old..ya i know canada is slow)

but..

I'm on a corporate plan so it's dirt cheap each month! $20.00 + tax's and caller id etc etc..and apprently that same plan on non corporate is ~40..so no complaints here!

1badPT
11-09-2004, 03:38 PM
There are definite differences between the companies whether its pricing, phones, reception, coverage and so on.

Me I prefer CDMA reception, its the best IMO and I'll take an inferior phone to get that reception. I find that Bell Mobility uses decent phones however so its not that bad of a tradeoff and I still get CDMA :)

I had Telus before and even their phone selection is getting better.

Ven
11-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
I myself HATE TELUS and their phones, but they provide the best coverage by far. So I would rather have near landline reception than flashier phones.

Same here, I needed coverage for work. Terrible sounding network on my LG4600, but they do have good customer support.

My cheap Vtech A700 Fido phone sounded like a land line and was absolutely fantastic anywhere in the city. Too bad the coverage was balls.

rage2
11-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm only passionate about hating on Rogers reception :D. I hate calling up people and need to call them 3x to get through because Rogers decided not to ring their phones and throw me straight to voicemail.

soupey
11-09-2004, 04:15 PM
i can't complain about rogers coverage...i guess it might depend on what phone your using tho, edgemont is the only shady area with rogers that i kno of...always get cut off there when i drive up n down shaganappi...

FiveFreshFish
11-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by t-im
Telus = best reception
but
Telus phones = yuck..

I'm with Telus but still on an old ClearNET phone and plan. Great reception and I still have billing by the second. :thumbsup:

blinkme_210
11-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

I'm with Telus but still on an old ClearNET phone and plan. Great reception and I still have billing by the second. :thumbsup:

There are people out there that are willing to pay money to get the old billing by the second plans.

Ed the SOHC
11-09-2004, 06:00 PM
When you deal w/ Telus' Customer Service you'll understand why ppl are passionate.

91_Integz
11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
fido has the best plans but their phones suck......i'm with telus though

craigcd
11-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

There are people out there that are willing to pay money to get the old billing by the second plans.

Bell still offers by the second on many of there corporate rate plans:poosie:

d-UNiT
11-10-2004, 01:46 AM
cellphones cause cancer

Ajay
11-10-2004, 02:13 AM
People are passionate about their cell phone provider because their provider is providing them with something none of the others can.

If you're with Rogers you might enjoy the fact that you can replace your phone with the newest and greatest every couple of months if you're willing to spend the money for a new phone. Ditto with Fido.

Might be happy with Telus because they provide absolutely the best coverage in western Canada and have fairly good reception in eastern Canada due to their partnership agreement with Bell. Ditto with Bell but reversed for areas of the country.

Just boils down to what you want and what you need.

Ajay
11-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by craigcd

Bell still offers by the second on many of there corporate rate plans:poosie:

So does Telus but corporate plans aren't what the majority of people are eligible for.

FiveFreshFish
11-10-2004, 04:02 AM
Some people I know put up with their shitty carrier just because they have a good phone number.

DJ Lazy
11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
WTF... so much hate to Rogers reception... :rofl: I am with Rogers, and I have never had a problem with reception... EVER.. never any dropped calls, or cutting in and out... :dunno:

I ain't passionate at all about Rogers.. i just got a good deal on my phone, I like it, coverage works for me... I'm good. :)

Mckenzie
11-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I'm only passionate about hating on Rogers reception :D. I hate calling up people and need to call them 3x to get through because Rogers decided not to ring their phones and throw me straight to voicemail.

:werd:

And they told me I was the crazy one or "it must be your hardware.." :rolleyes:

A big fuck you to Rogers after 5 years of the worst coverage, customer service and reception. I would have stuck with them if they would have compensated me a measly 50 minutes/month to make up for the 5-15 dropped calls per day I would get with them. But they are too smart to figure that out....so now they lost an almost $100 a month account because of their ignorance.

So far with Telus, I am very happy with the coverage area.

However I cant stand my phone (LG 6070) and the in-call sound quality is not the greatest. But so far, they have been great....service is good, pricing is fair and I have yet to hit 10 dropped calls in 5 months, where usually with Rogers I would hit that in a day no problem and sometimes even more.

Weapon_R
11-11-2004, 02:12 PM
You guys need to all try rogers again with ANY 850mhz phone. It will rock Telus almost anywhere.

saiyajin
11-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You guys need to all try rogers again with ANY 850mhz phone. It will rock Telus almost anywhere.

:werd: if you keep buying phones overseas and all that that have only the 1900mhz band ...its not that great