PDA

View Full Version : Same book: multiple covers!

BebeAphrodite
11-10-2004, 04:13 PM
WHY?? ?
Why do the publishers release the same book with completely different covers?
The call numbers were different and also the covers were completely different.
To get ahead on my papers coming up this month I embarked on a mission to collect all the books I could find. I grabbed all the books with different covers/sizes/call numbers which amount to 6.
I brought them home only to find out that I have duplicates of every one!
WHY???

shakalaka
11-10-2004, 04:17 PM
I dont know, Maybe to sell more? Confuses people, like you were.

Zero102
11-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Sounds like they're different editions. A lot of textbooks have different cover art when they are revised.

Seanith
11-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Yeah I would think they are different editions too.. as far as i know, textbooks aren't really collectibles :tongue:

kaput
11-10-2004, 07:36 PM

BebeAphrodite
11-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Well I returned two of the books earlier today and I have one left over. (I didn't know it was a duplicate too)
The book looks different, different call number, but no difference in text or publish date.

One of the versions even had a different publisher name and I had thought that it was v1 and v2 when I got them even though it had the same author name and title but when I opened it and randomly opened to the same page for about 20 pages it was identical and so were the pictures.

The last one was the most different and one cover was yellow and the other had a picture.
ha ha ha

Stupid!

BebeAphrodite
11-10-2004, 10:27 PM
OMG!

This is unbelieveable. I didn't really open any of the books except one. So I just started reading the others when I noticed that the contents are similar. Two of the books are identical as well!!!

So outta 6 books I really in reality only have 2 books.

4 of them are the same book compeletely repacked. They're not even the same call numbers! And the freaking book was published in 1954 on all four copies. WHY? How many changes can there be to republish events that happened centuries ago and have the books COMPLETELY redone in size, shape, and even call numbers!

Weapon_R
11-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Just check the title of what you are buying.

BebeAphrodite
11-10-2004, 11:05 PM
ha ha ha, I didn't buy them. I got them out of the library. The titles were the same but that happens often when you're getting a biography. blah.. ya it's laziness on my part for bringing them home without checking but I'm just amazing that the same author who published the book in 1954 with no revisions apparent on the inside covers would release a book with 4 covers and sizes about Madame de Pompadour!

2002civic
11-12-2004, 01:43 PM
they do this to sell them, they rearrange a cpl chapters and make new students buy new books instead of used books, blame the publishers but youd do the same if you were in that industry