PDA

View Full Version : mono amps

deadsilent2
11-10-2004, 06:13 PM
this may be a dumb question, but im new to car audio. why do they call them mono amps if they have 2 channels? click on the link and then the pic of the amp and scroll down a bit http://www.cardomain.com/item/SONXMDS1600P5

Phat_Tercel_YO!
11-10-2004, 11:05 PM
It looks like two channels, but both sides are exactly the same, they are just paralleled internally. This allows it easier to hook up two subs to one amp or any other wiring options you may desire.

But in addition to your first question, I'll also note differences between mono amps. Mono means a single output, like the amp above, there is no difference between the left and right channel, same thing. It is not a true mono though, it is essentially a 2 channel amp in one case with the outputs parralleled and bridged so you can only hook it up as a mono. A true mono is an amp that is not bridged in anyways whatsoever, although it may also have 4 output terminals. The benefit of a true mono is that you can link 2 amplifiers together and bridge one amp to the other in much the same way you would bridge a two channel amp. Bot hamps then act as one, and you can stick 2 amps onto one sub, or coil.

I know , I know... :whocares: But now ya know for next time!