PDA

View Full Version : BPTurbo swap

Ghettobaby
11-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure that there arent many ppl on this forum that have done the BPT swap into there mx-3s, but still i'm gonna ask for help. My car is a 5 speed 94 mx-3 with that originally had a dohc engine. We put in a BPT engine and initially made a homemade wiring harness from the 94 harness and the car started for a second, backfired and stalled. So now we had to rewire the car with a 92 automatic harness and now nothing works, all we get is a loud ass clicking sound coming from the starter. Does anybody know what some of the problems might be? we changed the starter allready and still all we get is the clicking sound.

vegas2005baby
11-10-2004, 10:35 PM
not enough voltage to the starter foo. go listen to adam, he knows his shit. ;)

Ghettobaby
11-10-2004, 10:39 PM
my battery is reading 11.64 on the voltmeter. so where am i losing my power?

Ghettobaby
11-10-2004, 10:47 PM
my bad I had the voltmeter on the wrong setting my battery actually only has 4.36 volts left in it.

AllGoNoShow
11-11-2004, 12:12 AM
lol Tibi :P

vegas2005baby
11-11-2004, 12:49 AM
charge that battery

kevie88
11-11-2004, 12:51 AM
With 4.threesomething volts no amount of charging is going to help you, as the battery has dead cells. You need a new battery.

doublepostwhore
11-11-2004, 01:00 AM
lol vegas, im right sometimes, especially when it comes to his MX-3 now shut it :P

Ghettobaby
11-11-2004, 10:00 AM
ok, i got a new battery in the car now. and this morning after a good nights rest we double cheked the wirinig and then attempted to fire it up only to find that we get no spark in any of the wires. And now im really confused cuz we are using the distributer from our friends car (which was running till we pulled it) and we wired our car identically to is (except for the fact that we kept about 6 more ground locations instead of creating common grounds)

Ghettobaby
11-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Anybody no where i can buy nology ignition parts

Ghettobaby
11-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Ok i have now re-wired my car for the 5th time a this time i am sure i have everything hooked up. I also put in a new ignition system but still I am not getting a spark. Can anybody tell me y?

Ghettobaby
11-19-2004, 10:14 PM
can anybody help me ? I'm almost sure someones gonna point out something obvious, that my friends and i rn't seein.

vegas2005baby
11-20-2004, 04:20 AM
blown fuse maybe?

whatthe
11-20-2004, 08:46 AM
A) hows the motor? Timing belt? Done a leak-down or compression test? If you've been trying forever, fuel may have washed cylinder walls and now it will be that much harder to start.

B) If your friends ran a certain way... hook it up like that.

C) You may still be doing something wrong. :) Are you using the BP ecu or trying to hook up the BPT ecu? search through old posts at mx-3.com there should be a ton of info on there.

I've never really looked into details on the BPT swap, other than the one guy I know wasn't running the BPT ECU on his. I'm putting a BP into my SOHC, but it's hard to mess up there.

Did you use the larger flywheel and clutch from the BPT?

doublepostwhore
11-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Whatthe, its a custom ECU the problem was that they recieved a dfferent harness then the ECU connected to the engine... IE it had 2 prongs instead of 3 and instead of taking my advice, and finding the fucker who sold it to them and getting the proper harness, they tryed to mod the harness... BAD NEWS.

The motor runs, and is working, and is NOW timed probably... Richard NEVER ADVANCE UNDER BOOST RETARD. anyways, the compression is good, its pretty much a new engine, it had like 21K on it, and less then 2K on the new turbo...

The problem is just the harness... its the wrong one, instead of waiting for another one, being impatient they tryed doing more work then was really nessacary.

BTW is the kid with the MK4 supra on teh forum T-bor?

Ghettobaby
11-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Yo adam we got the proper harness now (ie a 2 plug) we took it from our buddy chris. Now the engine sounds stronger when it turns over but still we aint getting a spark. We added a new battery, cheked our wirring over and over again, and we've changed the ignition system 3 times. The only problem that were noticing is that the clutch isn't fully disengaging because we have a leak in the brake line so were losing some pressuer, however we should still be able to get a spark.

Yo man just give richard or me a call sometime today or try an come over maybe you can figure it out.

Ghettobaby
11-23-2004, 11:29 AM
can anybody help me?? I'm so disperate now, i had all my friends come take a look, i've even got my uncle to take a look cuz he rebuilds engines fora living and as far as he could tell we had hooked everything up correctly and he was puzzled as to why it would not spark. We have 12 volts goin into the coil pack but we can't figure out why we have no current going to it. all of the resistance numbers are within the stock parameters. PLEASE somebody tell me that you've had this problem before and so knowhow to fix it.

AllGoNoShow
11-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Tibi if you want to bring it down to my schools shop my teacher most likely can get it working for you, just gimmie a shout on my cell if you want to bring it down sometime, I have to talk to him first, I gotta goto school but if you call in the next 30 mins and tell em yes or no I can ask him right when I get there.

James

93SuperScort
11-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Did u put the distributor in 180 off? If it back fired, it could be ur timing. Check to see if u put the timing marks right?

vegas2005baby
11-24-2004, 01:42 PM
also, your 'custom' ecu maybe garbage, i have seen alot of these ebay type dealies fail before even being used

Ghettobaby
11-28-2004, 01:25 PM
dude the "custom" ecu works, we pulled it out of a running car. All we need to do is figure out why we keep blowing the engine fuse and we'll be ready to fire the car up

marq-jt
11-28-2004, 01:31 PM
wow just reading this made my head hurt...ouch...
anyways good luck with the car...

Ghettobaby
11-28-2004, 02:48 PM
yeah its been givin us alot of problems lately but were finally down to what will hopefully b the last problem.

Ghettobaby
11-29-2004, 07:53 PM
By now it think its has become fairly apparent that im not a pro at this, and so i need to ask yet another question.

Can anybody tell me how to reduce the amount of power coming into my car. My engine fuse is supposed to be a 10A but my bro and i kept blowing it so we checked and amazingly we have 35.5 amps comming through where that fuse was. Does anybodny know how to correct this problem?

Ghettobaby
11-29-2004, 10:55 PM
:dunno: can anybody help me? :( Many ppl are lookin but noone is helping me :confused:

funkytuqe
12-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Dude, if you have 35 amps going through that fuse location, you have a short somewhere in the circuit after the fuse. Try tracing the wires going out from that fuse and nail it down. 35A is a fuck load of current, you have a dead short somewhere for sure. You are gonna have to use a ohm meter and do point to ground resistance checks while going along the wire's path, disconecting things along the way. Pain in the ass, but it the only way to do it. Is it your ignition fuse that is blowing?? Is it possible that your mocked up harness is screwed or may have blown your distributer ignitor resulting in a short?? Try to swap ignition parts (one by one) into a working car and see if they fail there too.
Good luck man, sounds like quite the headache:dunno: