PDA

View Full Version : Weird Noise In Door

hockeybronx
11-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey Playa...

Okay I drive a 99.5 Jetta.

About a month ago a weird noise started to come from what seams to be the rear hinge (where the door opens and closes to the side) of the drivers door.

The noise only occurs when the car moves or shifts in motion. It sounds like a metal on metal cracking. It's very hard to explain.

The front hinge (the moving hinge) was also making a similar noise for a while, but I went in there with a cloth and cleaned the moving parts and the noise stopped. However there are no moving parts on this rear hinge.

Does anybody know what this could be or what I could look for to fix it.

The thing that sucks is that the only time I hear it is when the door is closed and I am driving, so I can't figure out what it is while it is parked.

Thanks in advance.

Def_3
11-10-2004, 11:25 PM
hey playa

juice the suka with some dub 40

(wd40) for the white folk

otherwise dunno and good luck:dunno: :thumbsup:

hockeybronx
11-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Hey Playa...

Yeah I don't really think that would work in my case. WD 40 is mainly for moving parts, and this mechanism shouldn't really be a moving part.

Then again I have no idea because I can't figure this out on my own.

Thanks anyways dogg.

h22aseller
11-23-2004, 01:15 AM
yo playa, isn't the purpose of a hinge to be a moving part?

you are probably talking about the latching mechanism (which, still has moving parts, but anyways) as to diagnosing your problem, have you removed the door panel recently or screwed with your door in any way. if so, you probably have screwed something up and need to take it apart again to fix it. or the latch could be loose, in which case, break out your odd sized tools ( VWs have screwed up bolt sizing i've come to learn like 9mm 11mm and 13mm, who the hell uses odd sized bolts?) and fix the thing.

peace out dogg

hockeybronx
11-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Hey Playa...

Okay guys thanks for your help, I think I've found the route of the whole problem, might just take some high quality lube in the hinge that closes over the bolt on the door when the door closes.

hockeybronx
02-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Just an update for anybody who cares...:confused:

I took my car into the dealership for some service, and asked them if they could lube up the front hinge of the drivers door. It was starting to squeak a little.

As it turns out the cracking coming from the latching area (on the rear of the door) is gone! I don't know how but something they did in lubing the front hinge stopped this stupid noise!

It's finally gone:D

Kirbs17
02-26-2005, 11:42 AM
I was getting a similar sound from my car. super annoying! When I took it in to get fixed (Insurance claim from stolen stereo) they did something that stopped the noise. Thank god, that was getting annoying

hockeybronx
02-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
I was getting a similar sound from my car. super annoying! When I took it in to get fixed (Insurance claim from stolen stereo) they did something that stopped the noise. Thank god, that was getting annoying

Yeah man it's weird how something can have an effect on something else thats completely unrelated.

Oh well, at least we're all happy now!

Kirbs17
02-26-2005, 10:33 PM
what colors your car? 5 speed? cause it sounds like we have the exact same car. :nut: :rofl: