PDA

View Full Version : Problem with coilovers on MK2 Golf

pullpete
11-11-2004, 03:55 AM
Hello everyone

I brought a set of coilovers for a MK2 Golf at the beginning of October. They were a great buy and I love them, the fitting was fairly problem free and the performance is amazing.

Despite this, I have now discovered a problem which someone can hopefully help me with, in that at the moment the suspension is an MOT failure! The problem I have is that when the car is jacked up at the front, i.e. when the wheel is freely hanging, the suspension strut lowers it’s self from the turret so that the rubber top mount does not sit properly in the turret, leaving a considerable gap between the top mount and the underneath of the turret. As a result, the whole shock absorber is free to move about in the turret which is what it would fail an MOT on. Having said this, as soon as the car is lowered from the jack and there is weight on the wheel, the shock is forced back into the turret and the top mount sits properly in there, allowing the suspension to perform as normal. When the car is on it’s wheels, there is no movement with the shock at all. As you can probably gather, this is only a problem on the front suspension.

I had better tell you a bit about how I went about fitting them too. To start with, I followed a set of instructions religiously on how to change and upgrade a MK2 Golf suspension. It was easier then I expected, where it was a case of just removing the old suspension struts, and replacing it with the complete new shock absorber. The one important thing I noted to do was to reuse the original rubber top mounts from the old suspension and use it on the new front shocks. This is exactly what I did, and so I have no idea what is causing this problem.

Please can someone help!!

Cheers