PDA

View Full Version : Melted Cheese vs. Cheese

Singel
11-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Melted cheese is worse for you, or more fattening isn't it? but why? Is it just harder for your body to process in the melted form or something, or is it just equal to non melted cheese, cuz the only thing you're adding to it is heat:dunno: :dunno:

1badPT
11-11-2004, 02:10 PM
If you're bodybuilding the heat ruins some of the proteins and can potentially cause the fats to saturate.

Its not going to make that big of a difference though.

Singel
11-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Ya, i'm just talking in a general sense, so it isn't much worse, is maybe the grease harder to process or something?

Texas
11-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Dude, melted cheese pwns cheese. You can drain the grease out of it cant you?

kanjus_paki
11-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Texas
Dude, melted cheese pwns cheese. You can drain the grease out of it cant you? :werd:

Gondi Stylez
11-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Texas
Dude, melted cheese pwns cheese. You can drain the grease out of it cant you?

Originally posted by kanjus_paki
:werd:

you CANNOT drain the grease out of melted cheese?! and if you could HOW ON EARTH could this be done?!?:dunno: :nut: :dunno:

anyways, the BEST way to enjoy cheese is fondue! And if it ruin some of the proteins, then fuck it! :whocares:

although, i have never heard this and i think its :bullshit:

how can adding heat to cheese ruin the proteins? To me that is like saying, a warm glass of milk has adverse affects in comparsion to cold milk?!:nut:

yet, i dunno? Ill ask my cell bio prof on monday, to get some insight to this? interesting!:thumbsup:

jaysas_63
11-11-2004, 06:47 PM
of corse adding heat will change the nature of the cheese...when u add heat to compounds they undergo chemical changes

Gondi Stylez
11-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
of corse adding heat will change the nature of the cheese...when u add heat to compounds they undergo chemical changes

yea i know that, but i HIGHLY doubt it absorbs so much heat that it can ruin the proteins and cause the fat to saturate. I find this very hard to beleive. I dunno maybe on crack, but i doubt it!

1badPT
11-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

yea i know that, but i HIGHLY doubt it absorbs so much heat that it can ruin the proteins and cause the fat to saturate. I find this very hard to beleive. I dunno maybe on crack, but i doubt it!

Heat denatures protein. Heat can also cause fats to saturate or cause mono or poly unsaturates to become trans fats.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:QaWVF-iXAiEJ:peer.tamu.edu/curriculum_modules/Cell_Biology/module_5/howweknow.htm+heat+denatures+protein&hl=en

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:K4St7PhtLIIJ:chetday.com/saturatedfatscholesterol.htm+heat+saturated+fats&hl=en

In either case the effects aren't going to be big because the amount of heat required to melt cheese isn't that high.

Jeevin
11-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT

Heat denatures protein. Heat can also cause fats to saturate or cause mono or poly unsaturates to become trans fats.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:QaWVF-iXAiEJ:peer.tamu.edu/curriculum_modules/Cell_Biology/module_5/howweknow.htm+heat+denatures+protein&hl=en

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:K4St7PhtLIIJ:chetday.com/saturatedfatscholesterol.htm+heat+saturated+fats&hl=en

In either case the effects aren't going to be big because the amount of heat required to melt cheese isn't that high.

HEAT denatures protien in eggwhites causing them to become more VISIBLE, by this article. It is true HEAT denatures protien but this does not make it unuseable for our bodies. When the protein is heated, its STRUCTURE CHANGES (Denaturing) this does not mean we lose polypeptide chains. The protien is still made up of the amino acids that we need.

Protien is still perfectly fine when denatured as it still consists of amino acid chains!

It is also true that unsaturated fats (vegetable oil, grapeseed oil) can become trans fats. This occurs at a high temperature (deep frying). Some oils can resist this change and are healthier (coconut oil). ANYWAY, cheeses contain unsaturated fats and saturated fats from, of course, animal fats (Cheese is mostly saturated fat). Nowhere near enough heat would cause these unsaturated fats to become saturated with anymore hydrogen atoms.

Its unsaturated oils that you need to worry about turning into transfats (fried foods).

Melted cheese can even be healthier as the saturated fats melt and you can clean em up with a paper towel before they turn solid. But hey, its still good cheese.

(unsaturated fats - liquid at room temp)
(saturated fats - solid at room temp)

Hope that clears up some posts

;)

Gondi Stylez
11-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Jeevin

HEAT denatures protien in eggwhites causing them to become more VISIBLE, by this article. It is true HEAT denatures protien but this does not make it unuseable for our bodies. When the protein is heated, its STRUCTURE CHANGES (Denaturing) this does not mean we lose polypeptide chains. The protien is still made up of the amino acids that we need.

Protien is still perfectly fine when denatured as it still consists of amino acid chains!

It is also true that unsaturated fats (vegetable oil, grapeseed oil) can become trans fats. This occurs at a high temperature (deep frying). Some oils can resist this change and are healthier (coconut oil). ANYWAY, cheeses contain unsaturated fats and saturated fats from, of course, animal fats (Cheese is mostly saturated fat). Nowhere near enough heat would cause these unsaturated fats to become saturated with anymore hydrogen atoms.

Its unsaturated oils that you need to worry about turning into transfats (fried foods).

Melted cheese can even be healthier as the saturated fats melt and you can clean em up with a paper towel before they turn solid. But hey, its still good cheese.

(unsaturated fats - liquid at room temp)
(saturated fats - solid at room temp)

Hope that clears up some posts

;)

:werd: thank you!