PDA

View Full Version : '90 Cadillac DeVille or Chevy Blazer

Coopercentral
11-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi:

My name is Ken Cooper, and I'm 16, and hoping to get my FIRST car in a few months. My question is, what do you think is better, a 1990 Cadillac DeVille, or a chevrolet blazer? My brother right now has this 1990 White Cadillac DeVille, and he's going to give it to me this spring, once he gets a new car. I test drove it yesterday, and it was great!!! The body condition is great, everything works, and it's just great. My brother also had a chevy blazer, and it was great too.

Which of the two are better on gas? Is the cadillac OK on gas, if you take it easy on the gas/break pedals? Also, what would I have to do in order to make the car last awhile? I mean like a couple years. Like, how often should I send the car for a check-up? Basically, all I want to know is, what is better for me for a first car, and '90 Cadillac DeVille, or a Chevy Blazer. Thanks very much, I really appreciate it!!!

Ken Cooper

QuasarCav
11-12-2004, 12:02 PM
If the cadillac has the 4.1 than forget it, nothing but headaches.

Coopercentral
11-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
If the cadillac has the 4.1 than forget it, nothing but headaches.

Um... I'm totally new to cars, and what do you mean by 4.1? Thanks for your help!

civicrider
11-12-2004, 12:39 PM
4.1 litre engine, depends what you want out of the car, caddy will be good for cruizing, but the blazer has lots of cargo space ect, what year of blazer?
ither way id say go with the blazer

Coopercentral
11-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, I'd say, if I can afford, probably a '90 - '95, because I'm only planning on spending $5000 max. Now, my question is, what is better on gas, the Cadillac DeVille, or the blazer? I'm just looking for cruising, like going to school, and my job, and wherever else I want to, so cruising is what I want. I really don't need all the space. I see that you all aren't that fond of the year '90 cadillac. Is it ok though just to cruise, and is it ok on gas? Also, will it last awhile? Sorry for all the questions, thanks!!!

civicrider
11-12-2004, 01:54 PM
if you want good gas get a honda civic 92-95, both these are gonna guzzle it away, my guess it the blazer is better though.

Coopercentral
11-12-2004, 04:38 PM
OK, I see that both cars are bad on gas. The reason I want the cadillac, is because it's got SO many features on it. Here's one question for you, can you tell me of another brand or type of car that has some features like a cadillac has, and also automatic transmission, preferably with on-the-column stick shifter, because it's easier to do for me. Possibly cruise control, AC, all the standard luxeries. Is there another car out there like that? Like, the chevy blazer and cadillac deville all has those things. Anything else like that? Thanks!!!

civicrider
11-12-2004, 04:49 PM
honda civic si has a/c cruise control, just doesnt have the shifter on the steering collum

Coopercentral
11-12-2004, 05:02 PM
hmmm... I'm soooooo confused now, because I was looking at some reviews on the internet, and EVERYONE that said they had the '90 cadillac, first off, have to use premium gas, and is a guzzler, so that really sucks. So I'm now not getting a cadillac. So now I need another car. What do you all think of chevrolets? They're relatively good on gas, and long lasting. My dad had an '88 caprice classic, and that ran fine. Are there any specific types of chevys that are good/known to you all? If not, what's another type of car that's good? I will look into hondas for now, thanks!!

civicrider
11-12-2004, 05:04 PM
if you want a reliable, cheap on gas car honda is your best bet.

Coopercentral
11-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi:

BTW, I've finally decided because you have to use premium gas for cadillacs, I'm deciding to get a blazer. For a little bit more money on gas, it will ensure better traction during winter, and besides, I'll be careful not to accelerate or break hard. So, what do you think? Does anyone have a blazer? My brother had one before, and it ran great!!! Not bad on gas either. It really depends on how often you use it, and how hard you accelerate or break. I think this will work great, what do you think? Besides, I've always wanted something bigger than a car, because my parents both have bigger cars, so it should work perfect!!

three.eighteen.
11-12-2004, 08:16 PM
premium fuel does not help you get better traction in winter...:rolleyes:

dieselpower91
11-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
premium fuel does not help you get better traction in winter...:rolleyes:
That's not what he's saying. Sounds confusing but Im guessing he's saying he'll spend more in gas and get a Blazer (with better traction) Deville's are good, it will have the 4.5L V8 in it. They are ok in my opinion on gas, but I always drive guzzlers. I had a 92' Deville and I was supposed to run Premium fuel, never did, never had a problem.

Coopercentral
11-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by dieselpower91

That's not what he's saying. Sounds confusing but Im guessing he's saying he'll spend more in gas and get a Blazer (with better traction) Deville's are good, it will have the 4.5L V8 in it. They are ok in my opinion on gas, but I always drive guzzlers. I had a 92' Deville and I was supposed to run Premium fuel, never did, never had a problem.

I'm sorry for being so vague, what I was trying to say was I wanted the blazer, but them my brother called me last night, and yet again, deciding to get the '90 4.5liter cadillac deville. There is a coolant problem that he's fixing on Monday, and other than that, the car is in GREAT shape. I actually drove it, and the engine perred, and nothing was wrong with it!!! He said that it's recommended that you put premium/super gas in it, which gives it better milage, or you can put regular in. FOr better milage, I'll probably end up putting premium/super gas in it. Thanks for your input everyone!!! Looking forward to the cadillac!!!

Ken Cooper

PS - My brother said from his driving experience with it, it's not THAT bad on gas.

dieselpower91
11-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Everyone has their own opinion on gas. If you drive a 1.6l honda then go to the caddy, yeah you'll think it's bad on gas. If you go from a 79' Lincoln to the Caddy it will seem good on gas!

Coopercentral
11-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Well, I've never had a car, this will be my FIRST car, because I'm 16 years old. I want it, because it runs great, has many options. I come from a family with 2 REALLY SMALL cars with like no options. This is like amazing to me. Although my dad did have an '88 chevy caprice which looks A LOT like the caddy, so it will be familiar in gas and also features. But, all I'm paying for is gas and insurance, hopefully I'll be able to cover it.