PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Pontiac Grand Am Quad 4 Question HELP

ALI BABA
11-14-2004, 05:54 AM
i drove my car about a few hours ago and this weird loud ticking noise seems to be coming out of the engine, it has a timing chain and seem to be ticking out of there....if i uncover it and soak it with grease or Dub40 should that do it or am i in serious shit....i drove it this morning and it was fine but now its ticking very loud wtf..any help would be greatly appreciated.

thnx

4DoorGTZ
11-14-2004, 11:21 AM
I had a quad do that after a brief visit to 10k rpm..... Do you still have full power? Still completly drivable?

In my case it was a jumped timing chain, and valves completly out of synch with the rest of the engine (valve on piston carnage) In your case it could be that, or just something in the timing chain track gone to shit.

ALI BABA
11-15-2004, 06:09 AM
yes its just loud and very annoying it still has all its power.....so what do u suggest i do before i take it into a mechanics....is this a big deal...can i wreck anything if i drive it?

doublepostwhore
11-15-2004, 09:50 AM
If its a loud ticking, then something obiously can't be right, and thus it would not be advisable to drive if it is timing.

When was the last time you changed the chain, and have you ever skiped a gear (however unlikely it is).

My best guess would be a chain on its way out... and i am asumming in 15 years it has been changed once, so it might be that time.

ALI BABA
11-17-2004, 09:35 AM
no the chain is ok but the problem is internal problems(rods broken, pistons).....but now it wont even start so im droping a used engine into it.....thnx guys for your help.