PDA

View Full Version : Nov 14-21: Leonid Meteor Showers

D'z Nutz
11-15-2004, 12:45 AM
All this week we should be able to see some meteor showers in the sky. Anytime after midnight starting this week, there will be some meteor showers in the eastern part of the sky. Peak activity will occur on Wednesday, Nov 17 about 1:30am local time.

If anyone witnessed the meteor showers back in August, these ones are expected to have much more activity, so it may be worth while to head out of city limits for a viewing if you have nothing to do.

Here's a screenshot of a sky map for where to look:
http://homepages.ucalgary.ca/~dpywoo/leonids.jpg

Earlier in the night (around midnight), look towards the lower part of the arrow I've marked. As the night progresses, start looking higher up the arrow.

shakalaka
11-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Sweet, I will be ready with my cheap ass telescope. Hopefully can see something through that.

D'z Nutz
11-15-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Sweet, I will be ready with my cheap ass telescope. Hopefully can see something through that.

Hahaha! Pretty unlikely, since you're only be viewing a small portion of the sky! They literally appear for a split second before disappearing. But if you'll be out around 1:00, Saturn will be in the area, which is always cool to see ;)

treg50
11-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Perfect! Dinner with my baby on our anniversary night PLUS meteor shower!!! This is too awesome! Too bad we work the next morning.
:cry: :)

D'z Nutz
11-16-2004, 09:23 PM
Bump! Just a reminder for those who are interested ;)

Tonight should be the peak of the meteor shower.

Zero102
11-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the reminder!
I'll be out watching (I think I missed the peak activity, but I'll still go out to watch).