PDA

View Full Version : God place to get intercooler piping hooked up.

shadow
11-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Hey guys I was just wondering where you guys went to get your piping welded together.

What would be a place that is reasonably priced that could put the intercooler piping together?

I am deciding if I should just try to do it myself.

Also I am just wondering some of the front mount people....
what did you pay to get your front mount all piped together?

Thanks for any info.

finboy
11-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by shadow
Hey guys I was just wondering where you guys went to get your piping welded together.

What would be a place that is reasonably priced that could put the intercooler piping together?

I am deciding if I should just try to do it myself.

Also I am just wondering some of the front mount people....
what did you pay to get your front mount all piped together?

Thanks for any info.

if you really want to save $$$, get the j-bends from mopac, and figure out how you need the piping run, how many connectors you need, etc., then take all the bends into carline muffler (pretty good price) or another muffler shop and have them weld it togeather.

shadow
11-15-2004, 12:00 PM
That sounds like not a bad idea.. I do not really need anything fancy.

I have not heard of J-bends before.... is it a prefab pipe... is it silicone coupler?

If it is prefab is it aluminum?

Thanks for the input. =)

AllGoNoShow
11-15-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm with finboy

Alot of places have aluminum, and steel, if you go to industrial suppliers u can find liek iron and shit but its expensive and not worth it just for a turbo application, stick with the steel, the aluminum will melt or have a greater chance of melting.

EK 2.0
11-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
I'm with finboy

Alot of places have aluminum, and steel, if you go to industrial suppliers u can find liek iron and shit but its expensive and not worth it just for a turbo application, stick with the steel, the aluminum will melt or have a greater chance of melting.

Aluminum will not melt when used as charge piping...a LOT of kits use Alu pipes for their charge piping...the downside the Alu offers though is price...its awfully expensive to run alu piping vs. that same lenght of steel...

finboy
11-15-2004, 12:48 PM
That sounds like not a bad idea.. I do not really need anything fancy.

I have not heard of J-bends before.... is it a prefab pipe... is it silicone coupler?

If it is prefab is it aluminum?

Thanks for the input. =)

prefabbed aluminized mandrel bent tube in the shape of a J

ask to see one at mopac auto suply

Ghettobaby
11-15-2004, 12:49 PM
if your willing to experiment all you have to do is rent a mig welder and buy some exhaust piping from ct (its cheaper than mopac) once you put the piping up to ur car its pretty easy to c what ur doin. My bro and i did all his pipes in a weekend and we had to do a downpipe and intake aswell.

vegas2005baby
11-15-2004, 05:21 PM
if you've never welded before, trying to weld your charge pipes for a first project is a bad idea, its hard.

rio_rex
11-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah, rent/buy a flux core welder(or mig), buy a few mandrel bends from mopac (mild steel exaust piping), and a hacksaw. It only took me a day to learn how to weld with the wirefeed welder i got (mig/wirefeed) welding is the easyest to learn. Don't expect it too look too pretty though. Oh also invest in a angle grinder to smooth out the welds and a quick spray of black paint, and u should be good.

finboy
11-15-2004, 05:54 PM
i don't know if you want the intercooler pipes to be your first project as you don't want any pin holes or you will lose all your precious boost :dunno:

LancerShelby
11-15-2004, 08:25 PM
What kind of car is this for? Depending on what configuration you need, I might be able to do it all for you for a very resonable price, and it will look good with TIG welded seams. I used stock C5 Corvette exhaust tubing for mine and I have a bunch left.
Here's my stuff:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/329000-329999/329838_20_full.jpg

shadow
11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Your stuff looks really good. I am pretty interested.

Unfortunately I gotta pull the engine and put in a new clutch and a couple odds and ends and clean out the bay. I will probably have it back together in the spring.. perhaps I will bug you and see if you are still interested. =)

I could shoot some pics at you to give you a idea of what would be involved.

BTW: is it just me or does the ignition on the left hand side of the picture look like a can of red bull. =D

finboy
11-15-2004, 09:06 PM

BTW: is it just me or does the ignition on the left hand side of the picture look like a can of red bull. =D

:thumbsup:

LancerShelby
11-15-2004, 10:33 PM

BTW: is it just me or does the ignition on the left hand side of the picture look like a can of red bull. =D :bigpimp:

vegas2005baby
11-16-2004, 06:32 PM
people have been covereing coils with soft drink containers since the dawn of time. :)