PDA

View Full Version : New Suv Bigger Than Hummer -- So Brutal

Gweedo
11-15-2004, 01:21 PM
SO SO sad, with all the problems with Global Warming today how can we possible support this?

http://p212.ezboard.com/fthelandofboykofrm15.showMessage?topicID=89.topic

(AT THE BOTTOM OF THREAD IN LINK)

If you want to argue about Good/BAD SUV's then read the top part of the thread in the link above

peace

Carfanman
11-15-2004, 01:26 PM
LMFAO at your sig.
Thats a nice suv

BerserkerCatSplat
11-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Errr....I see that as more of a military vehicle than an SUV.

On the other hand, if you don't like big, oversized vehicles, I guess we'd better ban buses!:nut: (kidding)

QuasarCav
11-15-2004, 01:53 PM
That is a troop transport, not an actual consumer car.

Thats like telling the militart they should use geo metros instead of MLVW's.

sputnik
11-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Gweedo...

Take your left wing anti-fascist propaganda somewhere else.

shadow
11-15-2004, 02:22 PM
That is the uuuuugliest vehicle I have seen in a loooooong time.. :barf:

Originally posted by sputnik
Take your left wing anti-fascist propaganda somewhere else.

you are against anti-fascist propoganda.... so you are for fascism?? I hope you did no mean to say that..

"Fascism
A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism."

rahim
11-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Gweedo
SO SO sad, with all the problems with Global Warming today how can we possible support this?

The Smart Truck would weigh in at no less than 8,000lb, compared to nearly 5,000lb for the second generation Hummer, the H2. It would be about 3in higher than the Hummer and 4ft longer, but its fuel consumption would be lower.

Originally posted by QuasarCav
That is a troop transport, not an actual consumer car.

Thats like telling the militart they should use geo metros instead of MLVW's.

The commercial version would not have the electronics designed to detect anthrax, the Kevlar armouring on the underside, the night-vision cameras and the 25-inch LCD touch-screen computer monitors. But it would be just as big.

rage2
11-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Off topic or not, global warming is a scam.

shadow
11-15-2004, 02:41 PM
The commercial version would not have the electronics designed to detect anthrax, the Kevlar armouring on the underside, the night-vision cameras and the 25-inch LCD touch-screen computer monitors. But it would be just as big.

I missed the anthrax bit....... :rolleyes: thaaats great this is the last thing we need rolling around the streets.
Thats a great feature that detects anthrax..... however I suggest that they have a big buzzer on the console that when anthrax is detected... beeps and displays the message "YOUR SCREWED!" :D

Originally posted by rage2
ohoh that sounds like a land mine for opinions... *no shots below the belt*
!!!!! FIGHT !!!!!! haha :D

brandon
11-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Gweedo

http://p212.ezboard.com/fthelandofboykofrm15.showMessage?topicID=89.topic

(AT THE BOTTOM OF THREAD IN LINK)

If you want to argue about Good/BAD SUV's then read the top part of the thread in the link above

peace

meh its a big suv, btw why cant we ban the hippies around here :|

ramminghard
11-15-2004, 03:46 PM
:werd:

Iwish more people would figure this out.

sputnik
11-15-2004, 03:49 PM

Tell me all about global warming when it is -40C outside and I am changing the dead battery out of my car on the front street.

Khyron
11-15-2004, 04:28 PM
In the actual article it says they do want to market it as a consumer SUV. At some point, people are going to figure out that my right to drive around in a tank infringes on the rights of others.

And got to love the loophole that an Audi S4 gets hit with the gas guzzler tax while the H2 does not.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1110-26.htm

Khyron

hjr
11-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard

how is it a scam? is the documentation of the polar ice caps melting a scam?

please convince me

Singel
11-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by hjr

how is it a scam? is the documentation of the polar ice caps melting a scam?

please convince me

Have you ever heard of ice ages? Look out your window, I see brown stuff on the ground, and positive temperatures. Somehow, the ice all melted last ice age, and we didn't even have our SUV's to make it happen.

Global Warming certainly isn't a scam, but I think their saying that the fact that we're causing it all is, and they're mostly right. The world has frozen (global cooling) and melted (global warming) several times without humans. Both cooling and warming are positive feedback systems, as the world cools, more snow/ive accumulate, being white they reflect the sun's heat more and the earth gradually cools. Eventually, earth gets quite cold, and snow covered (Not necessarily a complete snowball, althought that is believed to have happened). Last glaciation reached down to the middle of the states i think, or somewhere around there.

Eventually, volcanoes begin errupting, emitting gasses like CO2 into the atmospher which help to trap the heat, the dust and ash also absorbs more of the suns heat since it is dark. Gradually the ice melts, and more and more methane is released into the atmosphere from inside the ice, trapping more heat. And this continues in a cycle.

i think we're in a warming period right now, and fossil fuels are certainly contributing to this, but so are farting cows. Fuck LA and New Orleans, I want warm weather in the winter here.

shadow
11-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Gradual heating and cooling of the earth is a normal thing... however the time span that it occured in is a lot different.

The global warming that is occuring today is happening at a rate that the earth has never seen before... is it a bad thing... well maybe not... the fact is we do not know.

However it is better to work to have better environmental solutions tomorrow than to give our children a world that is potentially more dangerous to live in because of our legacy.

Singel
11-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by shadow
Gradual heating and cooling of the earth is a normal thing... however the time span that it occured in is a lot different.

The global warming that is occuring today is happening at a rate that the earth has never seen before... is it a bad thing... well maybe not... the fact is we do not know.

However it is better to work to have better environmental solutions tomorrow than to give our children a world that is potentially more dangerous to live in because of our legacy.

We don't necessarily know its never happened before though either.

And I agree, but I'm more worried about depletion of non renewable resources than speedy global warming, cuz G.W. affects probly won't be felt for hundreds, or thousands of years, but we can run out of things within a matter of decades.

shadow
11-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Singel

We don't necessarily know its never happened before though either.

And I agree, but I'm more worried about depletion of non renewable resources than speedy global warming, cuz G.W. affects probly won't be felt for hundreds, or thousands of years, but we can run out of things within a matter of decades.

Yeah I agree with that the possibility of non renewable resources running low or making it more costly to retrieve than they are worth would have a uncomprehendable amount of damage on the worlds economies as it currently is.

I cannot imagine what people or the market would be without the ability to use petrolium byproducts to make plastics...

theken
11-15-2004, 07:52 PM
that truck is made by internation it will be a peice of shit and break down just like all international trucks, they would be better off in geo's

GTS Jeff
11-15-2004, 08:10 PM

just because dealing with it hurts the economy doesnt mean its a scam.

Originally posted by ramminghard

the number of people who believe/disbelieve a theory doesnt make it more or less true.

Originally posted by sputnik

Tell me all about global warming when it is -40C outside and I am changing the dead battery out of my car on the front street.

global warming is a lot bigger than you and your dead battery.

Have you ever heard of ice ages? Look out your window, I see brown stuff on the ground, and positive temperatures. Somehow, the ice all melted last ice age, and we didn't even have our SUV's to make it happen.

Global Warming certainly isn't a scam, but I think their saying that the fact that we're causing it all is, and they're mostly right. The world has frozen (global cooling) and melted (global warming) several times without humans. Both cooling and warming are positive feedback systems, as the world cools, more snow/ive accumulate, being white they reflect the sun's heat more and the earth gradually cools. Eventually, earth gets quite cold, and snow covered (Not necessarily a complete snowball, althought that is believed to have happened). Last glaciation reached down to the middle of the states i think, or somewhere around there.

Eventually, volcanoes begin errupting, emitting gasses like CO2 into the atmospher which help to trap the heat, the dust and ash also absorbs more of the suns heat since it is dark. Gradually the ice melts, and more and more methane is released into the atmosphere from inside the ice, trapping more heat. And this continues in a cycle.

i think we're in a warming period right now, and fossil fuels are certainly contributing to this, but so are farting cows. Fuck LA and New Orleans, I want warm weather in the winter here.

the issue at hand is that this warming trend is human driven and that it fucks shit up in ways that will directly affect humans. cattle produced methane only contributes about 10% to the greenhouse effect, so its not quite as big of a deal as sayyyyy...people burning gasoline for shits and giggles...

three.eighteen.
11-16-2004, 11:08 PM
for every graph and shred of evidence proving that global warming is happening, there are about 12 that indicate otherwise

shadow
11-16-2004, 11:14 PM
hehe and for each graph you can give proving otherwise.. I can probably prove it was sponsored by exxon. haha =D

The studies that say global warming are occuring are largely produced by scientest and environmental analysists the world over.... on the other side of the spectrum... a lot of the info is created by people with stocks in non renewable resource companies.

However.. I think mother nature will stick her foot up our ass long before we decide to barbecue ourselves with global warming. :D

We just do not have the resources to continue this way... and it is getting more and more expensive to get non renewable resources. There will come a point where the costs are too high to benifit the profits.

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
for every graph and shred of evidence proving that global warming is happening, there are about 12 that indicate otherwise http://www.deh.gov.au/coasts/publications/nswmanual/images/b12-2.gifthis is a graph indicating rising co2 levels in the past half century, recorded in hawaii somewhere. its a classic graph that has been shown to me in many classes.

alright, now go ahead and try posting 12 graphes showing the opposite.

its interesting to see how many people actually believe that they know more than the scientific community, people with phds that sometimes devote their entire lives to studying global warming issues. there are so many studies already being conducted on how global warming is already affecting us that its amazing that some people still question global warming. i mean, why stop there? why dont u guys use your grade 10 science educations to question other scientifically accepted models like evolution and quantum theory?

with that said, nothing is certain, even in science, and the scientific community may well be wrong about global warming; but to assert that they are wrong because george bush told you so is a fallacy.

Singel
11-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
http://www.deh.gov.au/coasts/publications/nswmanual/images/b12-2.gifthis is a graph indicating rising co2 levels in the past half century, recorded in hawaii somewhere. its a classic graph that has been shown to me in many classes.

alright, now go ahead and try posting 12 graphes showing the opposite.

its interesting to see how many people actually believe that they know more than the scientific community, people with phds that sometimes devote their entire lives to studying global warming issues. there are so many studies already being conducted on how global warming is already affecting us that its amazing that some people still question global warming. i mean, why stop there? why dont u guys use your grade 10 science educations to question other scientifically accepted models like evolution and quantum theory?

with that said, nothing is certain, even in science, and the scientific community may well be wrong about global warming; but to assert that they are wrong because george bush told you so is a fallacy.

Could that be more due to a high period of volcanic activity? Never been to Hawaii, but it doesn't strike me as an industrial fossil fuel burning centre. But there's no way he would have been able to dispute that graphically or otherwise.

And yup, I believe the scientists more than an oil company, what profit does a scientist get from predicting doom? A hell of a lot less than an oil company.

And anyone who thinks environmentalists are crackpot theory hippies (I agree that sometimes they are) should listen to David Suzuki. He's very reasonable and sensical because he understands our dependance on resources and offers alternatives...unlike many tree huggers.

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 02:31 PM

Could that be more due to a high period of volcanic activity? Never been to Hawaii, but it doesn't strike me as an industrial fossil fuel burning centre. But there's no way he would have been able to dispute that graphically or otherwise.

And yup, I believe the scientists more than an oil company, what profit does a scientist get from predicting doom? A hell of a lot less than an oil company.

And anyone who thinks environmentalists are crackpot theory hippies (I agree that sometimes they are) should listen to David Suzuki. He's very reasonable and sensical because he understands our dependance on resources and offers alternatives...unlike many tree huggers. if we were living in a period of increased volcanism, you would know it. second, the fact these readings were taken in hawaii serves to bolster the argument for global warming. hawaii is not a major source of greenhouse gases, yet greenhouse gases from other regions of the world circulate around the earth, they dont just magically disappear nor do they magically stay in one place.

i think the issue is that politicians and businessmen think that scientists are out to ruin the economy, which couldnt be further from the truth. scientists need money too, their research costs a shitload of money. something like global warming affects everyone; it doesnt just mean warmer summers for calgary, it also means that a lot of the fertile agricultural lands of the world will get fucked from climate changes, making it even harder for humans to feed themselves, as if we dont have that problem already.

iceburns288
11-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Some of the points against SUVs are absolute **** that you posted there Gweed

abyss
11-17-2004, 06:31 PM
How is it that global warming only seems to affect the uninhabited parts of the earth hmm? I vote we move more north since it's warming up there faster. :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by abyss
How is it that global warming only seems to affect the uninhabited parts of the earth hmm? try saying that around a floridan who's been flooded over (more like fucked over) twice last summer from insane climate.

DefektiveVibe
11-17-2004, 06:40 PM
what about el nino and all its brothers and sisters?

what is that caused by?

Singel
11-17-2004, 06:55 PM
try saying that around a floridan who's been flooded over (more like fucked over) twice last summer from insane climate.

Don't live on the coast. And don't live in GlenEagles at Cochrane. And how would we know what level of volcanism we're having? Do you have readings from the last thousand years too? I don't know how u know we're not in a period of high activity, for all we know hawaii was sleeping for the previous 400 years. I'm sure that info's out there somewhere though...

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by DefektiveVibe
what about el nino and all its brothers and sisters?

what is that caused by? no one really knows. there are a shitload of periodic climate cycles other than el nino and la nina too.

general consensus is that they are caused by a combo of:

-orbit/rotation of the earth
-ocean temps
-other shit that i dont really remember

the answer is that no one really knows cuz its probably caused by many interacting factors...

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 07:01 PM

Don't live on the coast. And don't live in GlenEagles at Cochrane. And how would we know what level of volcanism we're having? Do you have readings from the last thousand years too? I don't know how u know we're not in a period of high activity, for all we know hawaii was sleeping for the previous 400 years. I'm sure that info's out there somewhere though... lol. ure pretty self centered then. just cuz u dont live on the coast doesnt mean other ppl dont.

and actually, fyi we DO have readings dating back to pretty much the formation of the earth. its called paleoclimatogy. then again, they dont teach you that in grade 10 science.

kanjus_paki
11-17-2004, 07:03 PM
only hippies believe in global warming

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by kanjus_paki
only hippies believe in global warming only losers like you come back after being banned.

http://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=621

11-17-2004, 07:41 PM
"Fascism
A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism."

that is such a biast definition of facisim!

thich
11-17-2004, 08:14 PM
http://www.deh.gov.au/coasts/publications/nswmanual/images/b12-2.gifthis is a graph indicating rising co2 levels in the past half century, recorded in hawaii somewhere. its a classic graph that has been shown to me in many classes.

hehe, I remember taking Geology during my first year and I recall that the prof mentioned global warming seemed to be a cyclical phenomenon (geologically anyways).

I'm one to be more inclined to think it's a natural progression and will work itself out sooner or later.

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by thich

hehe, I remember taking Geology during my first year and I recall that the prof mentioned global warming seemed to be a cyclical phenomenon (geologically anyways).

I'm one to be more inclined to think it's a natural progression and will work itself out sooner or later. there is definitely a cycle of co2 levels going up and down...but this latest one is so painfully obviously human driven and its shot up at an unprecedented level that no natural process has ever caused.

in pretty much all of my classes, we receive a different take on global warming. in marine ecology they talk about the ocean as a sink for co2, in boreal ecology they talk about burning peat as a possible source, and even in my senior lvl chem classes we discuss the biochemical implications of global warming...

my point is that when the most qualified people of society say that global warming is real, its naive to believe that it wont happen, especially when the reasoning for that is just your own unfounded beliefs.

hjr
11-17-2004, 10:37 PM
some of the people in this thread are strikingly similar to the 49% of americans that still believe the world was created along the lines set forth in genisis. They are still fighting with darwin. Some of you still believe global warming isnt real...

shadow
11-17-2004, 10:41 PM
... whaa... who is this darwin person... you talkin about that dolphin on seaquest..... hehe just jokin..

Well with global warming we might be in the best place.... people to the south will lose precipitation and have worse food harvests .. and people up north lose their ice... ... .. we get milder winters. woot.. I think we get the better end of the bargain. =P

Originally posted by 5.0
that is such a biast definition of facisim!

Well I guess you could argue that point but you will need to discuss that with
www.Dictionary.com :)
I am not sure what other definition there is of Facism..? :dunno:

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 10:58 PM
... whaa... who is this darwin person... you talkin about that dolphin on seaquest..... hehe just jokin..

Well with global warming we might be in the best place.... people to the south will lose precipitation and have worse food harvests .. and people up north lose their ice... ... .. we get milder winters. woot.. I think we got the short straw.

not exactly.

the scary thing about global warming is that we cant really predict local weather trends. yes global temperatures are rising, but who knows what sort of local climate changes will be induced? we might start getting freak blizzards from the arctic winds nonstop...the thing is that if educated scientists cant tell, how can u? when will u guys get the point that u are all completely underqualified to pass any predictions such as the one u just made? when will guys realize that watching some 5 minute intro to global warming on the 6 o clock news doesnt mean u know anything?

shadow
11-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Haha I never said I am a climatologist... =P

The thing is we do not know what is going to happen.
Read my posts before... they explain that I believe in global warming.

I know I am unqualified to say what is going to happen for sure.
So please do not say that I am making conclusive statements.. I assure you that I do not know. I have no more idea if global warming will cause something catastrophic than you do.

The thing is... when you are predicting the future it is tough.... nobody knows for sure what is going to happen...

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 11:11 PM
It was a joke sorry...

So please do not say that I am making conclusive statements.. I assure you that I do not know. I have no more idea if global warming will cause something catastrophic than you do.

The thing is... when you are predicting the future it is tough.... nobody knows for sure what is going to happen... :werd: im glad some ppl have some common sense

three.eighteen.
11-20-2004, 05:56 PM

The thing is... when you are predicting the future it is tough.... nobody knows for sure what is going to happen...

actually, that's where i got my view on global warming from, a climatologist at a conference for my dads company, its a scam, if i remembered the dudes name, you could probably email him and have him explain it to you

Singel
11-20-2004, 08:43 PM

actually, that's where i got my view on global warming from, a climatologist at a conference for my dads company, its a scam, if i remembered the dudes name, you could probably email him and have him explain it to you

Your dads OIL company????:drama:

GTS Jeff
11-21-2004, 12:42 AM

actually, that's where i got my view on global warming from, a climatologist at a conference for my dads company, its a scam, if i remembered the dudes name, you could probably email him and have him explain it to you well my friend's friend's dog's father said that your dad's company's conference's climatologist is bogus. hes also known as the king of sketchy evidence.

Texas
11-21-2004, 06:16 AM
not exactly.

the scary thing about global warming is that we cant really predict local weather trends. yes global temperatures are rising, but who knows what sort of local climate changes will be induced? we might start getting freak blizzards from the arctic winds nonstop...the thing is that if educated scientists cant tell, how can u? when will u guys get the point that u are all completely underqualified to pass any predictions such as the one u just made? when will guys realize that watching some 5 minute intro to global warming on the 6 o clock news doesnt mean u know anything? Your tireless effort to feed credit to education is unreal, you seem genuinely angered by all of this... Are you trying to secure position because you were angered by the "education is a waste" thread? People can read up on a topic and state their opinion regardless of whether or not your worship your prof. Further... I am sure there are scientists that refute the idea of global warming with an equal amount of evidence...

In a sort-of-kinda-similar way you are saying that if I hate Ford Motor vehicles... I should shut the fuck up because I didnt engineer the vehicle. Or that If I dont like a politicians policies... I should fuck off because I didnt take poli-sci. You are clearly one of those people that take everything at face value simply by attaching a Phd or an MD to it...

I have heaps of respect for anyone at the top of their field... but shut up man, people are allowed to have their informed/moderately/poorly informed opinions on here If you dont like it... fuck, don't read it.

Hey, nice 24 year old Graph by the way... C02 levels recorded in hawaii? LOL :rolleyes:

Singel
11-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Texas
Your tireless effort to feed credit to education is unreal, you seem genuinely angered by all of this... Are you trying to secure position because you were angered by the "education is a waste" thread? People can read up on a topic and state their opinion regardless of whether or not your worship your prof. Further... I am sure there are scientists that refute the idea of global warming with an equal amount of evidence...

In a sort-of-kinda-similar way you are saying that if I hate Ford Motor vehicles... I should shut the fuck up because I didnt engineer the vehicle. Or that If I dont like a politicians policies... I should fuck off because I didnt take poli-sci. You are clearly one of those people that take everything at face value simply by attaching a Phd or an MD to it...

I have heaps of respect for anyone at the top of their field... but shut up man, people are allowed to have their informed/moderately/poorly informed opinions on here If you dont like it... fuck, don't read it.

Hey, nice 24 year old Graph by the way... C02 levels recorded in hawaii? LOL :rolleyes:

So you think you know moe than climatologists from reading a few articles? Who are the articles from? Scientists hired by oil companies?

What reason do normal scientists have to fabricate Global warming theories?

i think we all know why oil company's scientists would refute the claims, what is their counterparts motive for making the claims?

Texas
11-21-2004, 03:29 PM

So you think you know moe than climatologists from reading a few articles? Who are the articles from? Scientists hired by oil companies?

What reason do normal scientists have to fabricate Global warming theories?

i think we all know why oil company's scientists would refute the claims, what is their counterparts motive for making the claims? So at which point ANYWHERE in that post did I say I know more than a Climatologist? are you saying you dont read posts before you try and flame people? Ill try and go back over the years to remember the full name of the author...when I can come up with it...Ill certainly tell you.:rolleyes:

What reason do they have to fabricate theories on GW....hmm... Im sure one could speculate all day long.
Seeing as you obviously didnt read my post... I will post it for you again:

Your tireless effort to feed credit to education is unreal, you seem genuinely angered by all of this... Are you trying to secure position because you were angered by the "education is a waste" thread? People can read up on a topic and state their opinion regardless of whether or not your worship your prof. Further... I am sure there are scientists that refute the idea of global warming with an equal amount of evidence...

Hey, nice 24 year old Graph by the way... C02 levels recorded in hawaii? LOL

Singel
11-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Texas
So at which point ANYWHERE in that post did I say I know more than a Climatologist? are you saying you dont read posts before you try and flame people? Ill try and go back over the years to remember the full name of the author...when I can come up with it...Ill certainly tell you.:rolleyes:

You certainly implied that a Phd is worthless, and that you can achieve the same level of knowledge by reading a few articles. Maybe you should read your own post again...

What reason do they have to fabricate theories on GW....hmm... Im sure one could speculate all day long.

Could one? You seem to think you're so smart, start speculating...

Wildcat
11-21-2004, 04:05 PM
global warming is about as big of a threat as Y2K :rofl:

suranga
11-21-2004, 04:20 PM
OMFG, I can't believe some of you think that global warming is a farce. It boggles my mind. Here, read this:
Global warming skeptics base arguments on rhetoric, not facts (http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/expressnews/articles/ideas.cfm?p_ID=6209&section=Guest%20Column&s=m)

Highlights from the article:

(1) Terence Corcoran of the National Post expresses disdain for a recent report from the International Arctic Science Committee warning of rising temperatures in the Arctic region. But such warnings are not new. Scientists in the United States and Europe have been saying much the same thing for years. And many of their findings have been published in the world's premier peer-reviewed journals.

These journals earn their reputation by publishing papers that challenge established dogmas. That there is such a scarcity of published peer-reviewed research supporting the views of warming skeptics speaks volumes.

Critics such as Mr. Corcoran base their case on conspiracy theories and rhetoric, not science.

(2) One need not be a scientist to understand the basis of the debate. Any thinking layman can judge for himself much of the evidence that the world is getting hotter. Several agencies in different countries have measured the thickness of polar ice caps, the extent of northern sea ice and the length of alpine glaciers. For example, the website of the U.S. National Ocean and Atmosphere Organization shows a decline in Arctic sea ice of about 10 per cent in the past 30 years.

The data clearly shows that ice and snow are disappearing at high latitudes. This, in turn, will cause an acceleration in the already pronounced Arctic warming trend because dark landscapes absorb more sunlight than white ones, a fact known to anyone who has placed his hand on white and black cars sitting side by side in the sun.

There are also several decades worth of temperature measurements available from many high-latitude sites. Again, these data are available to the public. Almost without exception, they show increasing temperatures.

(3) The debate over global warming is in one sense a debate about who the public and policymakers should believe. The most reliable predictions about the climate come from climatologists, meteorologists, geologists, physicists and others whose profession is to study the scientific state of the world around us. Like the other journalists, big-oil shills, economists and anti-environmental activists who seek to discredit global-warming science, Mr. Corcoran should stick to his area of expertise – in his case, business. Leave the predictions concerning the Earth’s climate to those who know what they’re doing.