PDA

View Full Version : painting color change

vincent-h
11-15-2004, 03:24 PM
went to pick my part to grabanew trunk for my old corolla. it's red so i want it a different color. I just have a quick question.

before painting shoudl i sand it down to BARE metal or just sand it down till the old red paint it dull or sand it down to the old base coat?

I won't need to do a super pro job as it's just a home project for fun. and if it doesn't turn out i got good experience and the kidney foundation will have a better car than it is now.

i was thinking down to the orginal base coat will save me labour rather than straight to the bare metal. some said just sand the top enough even if it's still red just base coat over it and it'll still work? I doubted this and was gonna do the full blown deal down to bare metal but realized it's gonna be alot more labour thanks.

Also on a side note if anyone knows hwo to take off the exterior handle of a 89 corolla gts please give me a shout also if u know how to cut off old panel off a cat properly please contact me as well i can have someone weld it i just need to know how to remove it!

Thanks!

DuPont
11-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Just sand it until it doesn't reflect any light with 400 or finer, depending on what kind of paint you use. You shouldn't go down to bare metal unless you have an etch primer, and primer sufacer, if you want it to last. Remember to sand all the edges as well, or it will start to peel after time.

schmooot
11-16-2004, 12:47 AM
:imwithdupont: No need to sand down to metal unless there are rust spots you wanna get rid of. Just sand it until its not shiny anymore and spray away.

vincent-h
11-16-2004, 03:17 AM
haha too late

half the hood is down the the original base coat with some metal showing and half of it is down to bare metal. lucky it's just a practice car to have as a hobby to practice with
i'll just use like 10 coats of primer and like 8 coats of paint to make sure it's on good and well protected.

shadow
11-21-2004, 10:14 PM
if you sand it down to bare metal you should put acid wash on it.. this will protect the metal from rust.

quiksilver_182
11-21-2004, 11:41 PM
whoaaa u don't need 10 coats of primer and 8 of paint, i would say 3-5 of each it really don't take that much... but with saying that don't do heavy coats either. Are u going to use a paint gun or spray can?

DefektiveVibe
11-21-2004, 11:52 PM
might as well dip it in a bucket of paint if your gonna put that much on

like 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint is more than enough

vincent-h
11-29-2004, 01:37 PM
i'm gonna try to paint gun my car. get some experience besides it is a beater after all ahaha

shadow
11-29-2004, 02:15 PM
just remember... thin coats but lots of them.... if it looks like you missed a spot but are not sure... do not put another coat on.... let it dry and then put on another coat. If you put it on too thick it could either make runs or put bubbles that become trapped in the paint.

Remember take your time when doing it. =)

vincent-h
11-29-2004, 05:35 PM
lotta time lotta time
haha

eeseen racing
11-30-2004, 12:09 AM
man sand it use acid primer and then primer primer is supposed 2 be thin unless its a filling primer
anyways and then thin coats of paint and use enamel easier to work with

but u did go about this all wrong pls take the car u plan on doing later in and get someone who knows to do it

George_Reyes
11-30-2004, 12:20 AM
after throw a clear coat on it.

eeseen racing
11-30-2004, 01:17 AM
if its enamel u dont clear coat it only base clear paints and etc use clear cot more complicated 2 spray

shadow
11-30-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by eeseen racing
if its enamel u dont clear coat it only base clear paints and etc use clear cot more complicated 2 spray

I agree with that... clear coat is annoying.. I have done both and I did bugger up the clear coat the first time....

I guess it depends on the look he wants.
If you want a one layer type of paint... you will still get gloss but you will not get the depth you get with a clear coat.

vincent-h
11-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by eeseen racing
man sand it use acid primer and then primer primer is supposed 2 be thin unless its a filling primer
anyways and then thin coats of paint and use enamel easier to work with

but u did go about this all wrong pls take the car u plan on doing later in and get someone who knows to do it

I have no plans to bring it in to someone to do it for me. liek I said it's my old beater car and i'm jsut working on it for practice. so all i care i would work on my hammer jumpa nd window breaking abilities on it but I feel I want to work on fixing it a bit as a hobby. gotta learn somewhere if all else fails i'll donate it.