PDA

View Full Version : Manual Vs Electronic boost controllers

Police
11-15-2004, 11:41 PM
so how do they diffe? I know cost wise they differ and the electronics ones have more options?

would it be fine to use just a manual boost controller like the one made by Turbo XS to control the boost level and monitor it with a boost gauge?:dunno:

vegas2005baby
11-16-2004, 06:31 PM
it would be fine, but dont waste your money on one of those turbo XS whatevers, just get one of those ebay 20 dollar boost controllers, they work then same and are just as reliable.

2.0turbo
11-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Of course a cheap one will work, but depending on what you want, an electronic one will feel and be a lot more crisp and exact.
You get what you pay for, just like everything else.
Anykind of vavle that delays the air going to the actuator will work, for quite a while, I had a gas shut off valve that I bought a Home depot for $5. Sad part of it was, until I got my ebc, it was the best boost control I ever had.

heavyD
11-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Electronic boost controllers have more features and eliminate boost spike problems you can get with an mbc.

Dick Starbuck
11-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Electronic ones offer better turbo response and less lag because the wastegate will stay completely shut for a longer amount of time.

Relief valves work better than regulators as far as manual controllers go. At least that's what I found.

Police
11-17-2004, 09:36 PM
so does the manual boost controller allow you to set boost at 5-6 PSI when the internal waste gate is at 9 PSI? or does this manual boost controller just delay the pressure to open the waste gate?

Police
11-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
Of course a cheap one will work, but depending on what you want, an electronic one will feel and be a lot more crisp and exact.
You get what you pay for, just like everything else.
Anykind of vavle that delays the air going to the actuator will work, for quite a while, I had a gas shut off valve that I bought a Home depot for $5. Sad part of it was, until I got my ebc, it was the best boost control I ever had.

gas shut off valve haha thats actually a good idea :thumbsup: was it easy to make it fit?

Dick Starbuck
11-18-2004, 08:18 PM
You can't lower boost lower than the actuator, at least as far as I know. Making something like a gas shut off valve or anything fit is just a matter of finding fittings. Manual boost controllers basically slow the opening of the wastegate by manipulating the signal in the vacuum line going to the actuator. So an actuator with a 7 pound spring will always open the wastegate fully when it sees 7 psi pressure against it even though there may be 12 psi pressure at the manifold.

This is basically how they are hooked up.

Relief type valve

Boost Source -------T------valve---atmosphere
l
actuator

Regulator type valve

Boost source----valve---actuator

Dick Starbuck
11-18-2004, 08:24 PM
My attempted illustration didn't turn out right for the relief valve type.:rolleyes:

I'll try and explain it in english.

Relief valve type:

Boost source goes to a "T" fitting. One line from the "T" fitting goes to the actuator. The other line goes to the relief valve and the relief valve bleeds excess air into the atmosphere weekening the signal going to the actuator.

vegas2005baby
11-20-2004, 03:18 AM
a properly built boost controller will not spike or slow spool up, and one of these babies can be had for 20 bucks on ebay, or you can make one yourself. Mine fell apart cause i forgot to tigten it up and i got all new insides from the parts bin at homedepot and shit. ;)

2.0turbo
11-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Police

gas shut off valve haha thats actually a good idea :thumbsup: was it easy to make it fit?

Ya, It was easy, just tied it to the top of the intercooling pipe. Super easy access when the hood was open.