PDA

View Full Version : more power at lower RPMs

11-16-2004, 01:01 AM
im looking for some advice on some mods to get me more power on lower RPMs, I drive a 92 4.0 L cherokee. I have put ina throttle body spacer and cold air intake, I know thats not gonna help to much but its a start! thanks in advance for the help

hockeybronx
11-18-2004, 02:42 AM
Hey Playa...

I think the general concensus is that if you want a noticable power difference you almost need to go forced induction.

I can't really recommend anything for a cherokee, I don't really know a lot about those engines.

Good luck.

vegas2005baby
11-18-2004, 05:49 AM
wow, you really are a pleasure to have around arn't you hockey bornx? man, what would we do with out you.

I'd try adding a set of mike leech headers man.

AllGoNoShow
11-18-2004, 05:11 PM
you coudl change the cam shafts out to have more torque at lower RPM ranges then higher, check out Comp Cams

doublepostwhore
11-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Other then that, port & polish, over bore exhaust+intake valves + new springs, runners and rods.

Other then that you can go drastic, you could Go FI (forced induction) <--- Not to insult you, but sometimes acronyms can be annoying when it is unknown what it is you are talking about.

Superchargers or turbo chargers, the most adaptable setup would be a supercharger, just because there is already alot of after market support for jeep through www.yearone.com you could buy a new manifold and supercharger (like 5-6K+), update your injectors, + fuel rail & pump.... then turbo is a bit more involved, and on a v6 or v8 I am not to sure about the parts needed (like collector for both cyclender banks, or special acomadations where parts would be found).

Check out www.howstuffworks.com <--- good read to learn about how each system works (turbo or super, unless you already know whats up, in that case disregard this part of my post).

Check out www.performance-shop.com <--- your best bet... Imports dominate this site.... so our info a little bit more hit or miss... NO OFFENSE TO THOSE WHOM ARE KNOWLEDGABLE IN THIS AREA I AM SPEAKING ON MY BEHAVE.

digitalshogun
11-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore
Other then that, port &amp; polish, over bore exhaust+intake valves + new springs, runners and rods.

Is there a good reliable place in town that does those sorts of things? I'd like to get my engine ready for a SC but I'm not there yet and would like to do things one step at a time.

Scat
11-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 5.0
im looking for some advice on some mods to get me more power on lower RPMs, I drive a 92 4.0 L cherokee. I have put ina throttle body spacer and cold air intake, I know thats not gonna help to much but its a start! thanks in advance for the help

Completely depends on how much your looking to spend and what you use the vehicle for. If you plan to be doing alot of offroading, you would probably want to increase your engines low end torque. If it is just for city driving, torque wouldn't be your main focus.

I personally would convert that belt driven fan to an electric fan, maybe look into getting camshafts as well as porting the head and intake manifold. And of course you would want to work on that stock exhaust.