PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help?

$JG Money$
11-16-2004, 06:45 AM
I wanted to start off by saying that this is one of the best canadian mr2 forums on the net(well atelast from what ive found) so that is why I decided to come here with all my questions.

1. Im looking into buying a 91 Turbo. I just wanted to ask how hard it would be to make the suspension up to par or even better than the 93+ Turbos. Some suggestions and prices would be greatly appreciated.

2. Can the 91 make as much horsepower as the 93, not sure becuase ive read that the 91 doesnt have the ceramic turbo. Now i dont know if this hurts horsepower gain when mods are installed but i imagine a better turbo(93+) would net better gains.

3. How much would a lsd cost, installation + LSD

4. What would i have to do to make 300hp.

5. The duece im looking at is from the states with only 52 000 miles. Its selling for 11 grand and im really curious as to why it is so low. I called and got the VIN number so if anyone here has carfax and would be kind enough to check it for me it would seriously help me out a great deal. VIN: jt2sw22n3m0025971

Thank you in advance and I will be anxiously awaiting everyones input.

$JG Money$

thinmyster
11-16-2004, 03:38 PM
you should check out some of the cars on beyond before you go to then states you'll probably save some time/hassle and money theres some nice rides for sale just do a search

Redlyne_mr2
11-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey man welcome to the board.Ill do my best to answer all of your questions here.

1.The 91 and 93 suspension have very very minimal differences. On the road youll notice the 91 is a little more tailhappy than the 93 but thats about it. Youll want to upgrade the suspension on either car anyways so that doesnt really matter. A set of performance springs will run you $300 and up while coilovers start at around $1600 for a set.

2. 91 and 93 engines are the exact same in north america. No differences in turbo. The jdm mr2s had the ceramic turbo however personally i think theyre junk. There isnt really a difference in power potential and the ceramic wheel has been known to break apart and go into the engines causing huge damage.

3. LSD for MR2's are one thing for the car that is affordable other than the install. Ive seen used oem ones gor for as low as 150 while aftermarket units are around 1000

4.300hp or 300whp? 300hp is easy. downpipe, exhaust, intake something to control fuel and boost and youre there

5. Prices of MR2's have gone down huge in the states. The deal is even sweeter with out strong Cnd dollar. Keep in mind it is a 13 year old car so the prices are bound to drop. In canada they seem to stay the same price thoug.

Hope this all helps

$JG Money$
11-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Ok well just to clear things up the car was actually $13000(typo) thats canadian dollars. Its at a used car dealership near my home. As for the hp i was thinking 300whp but soon after making my first post i found a great site which told me everything i wanted to know. Seems that the magic number is 275whp, how much would that be to the flywheel tho?

( http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm ) So here it is for anyone else who wants to know what to do to acheive reasonably cheap and reliable power. Back to the car, I phoned the dealership and they told me they didnt know the history of the car and it used to be yellow but was painted black. Now i dont know i guess im being paranoid but the dealership buying a car that did not come with a history report is kind of messed up, maybe there hiding somthing. But then again they might not be and im just thinking to much about the whole situation. LOL anyways if somone with carfax can help me out if it isnt to much trouble it would put a rest to my skepticism.

Redlyne_mr2
11-16-2004, 07:38 PM
I wouldnt touch that car you can pick up a clean original turbo for around 13K usd or 15-16K cnd, sometimes even less. You could also look at importing a rhd jdm unit for arounf 7-8K

2-YOTA
11-16-2004, 09:26 PM
I'd steer clear of those small used car dealers selling imported MR2's! (I hope it's not Miracle Auto you're looking at there!). If you insist on furthering your interests on this particular vehicle, be certain to bring along someone who is somewhat familiar with these cars to look it once over as they'd be able to tell you what seems "out-of-place" if any. Plus it may be wise to have it mechanically inspected before purchasing.

Otherwise, you may also consider this one:
1993 TOYOTA MR2 TURBO, 96000 kms, 1 owner, no accidents, 17" whls, 1 owner, must sell, $14500 obo. 604-961-5955 Tel: 604-294-2503

For a little bit more, sure sounds a world more promising. Good luck.

$JG Money$
11-16-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by 2-YOTA
I'd steer clear of those small used car dealers selling imported MR2's! (I hope it's not Miracle Auto you're looking at there!). If you insist on furthering your interests on this particular vehicle, be certain to bring along someone who is somewhat familiar with these cars to look it once over as they'd be able to tell you what seems "out-of-place" if any. Plus it may be wise to have it mechanically inspected before purchasing.

1993 TOYOTA MR2 TURBO, 96000 kms, 1 owner, no accidents, 17" whls, 1 owner, must sell, $14500 obo. 604-961-5955 Tel: 604-294-2503

Actually its 888 auto sales http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=28319031 . And is that a private sale you mentioned about the 93 turbo?

2-YOTA
11-17-2004, 01:38 AM
Local members have already looked at that Black Veilside MR2 at 888 just for kicks ... nothing good I recall them reporting about that car. So "STAY AWAY FROM IT!" Not exactly a reputable dealer anyways.

I don't know anything about that white 93T. Give them a call if you're really serious about buying a MR2. You'll know right away if it's at a dealer or not. But either way you slice it, "1st owner/no accidents" is a much better way to start out than "yellow repainted black/veilside kit/unknown history"!

$JG Money$
11-17-2004, 05:32 AM

I don't know anything about that white 93T. Give them a call if you're really serious about buying a MR2. You'll know right away if it's at a dealer or not. But either way you slice it, "1st owner/no accidents" is a much better way to start out than "yellow repainted black/veilside kit/unknown history"!

True that

DelSoln
11-19-2004, 01:36 AM

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread but I was wondering if you could please tell me where you found that ad. Sounds like a good deal.

2-YOTA
11-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread but I was wondering if you could please tell me where you found that ad. Sounds like a good deal.
Buy & Sell (buysell.com) under Vancouver, BC - LowerMainland.

Weapon_R
11-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Why in your right mind would you buy a car that has been fully repainted. Unless the owner spent mad dollars fully converting the car to black (which is doubtful), it seems as though it may have been in a major wreck or a case of bad rust for someone to completely change the color

$JG Money$
11-20-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Why in your right mind would you buy a car that has been fully repainted. Unless the owner spent mad dollars fully converting the car to black (which is doubtful), it seems as though it may have been in a major wreck or a case of bad rust for someone to completely change the color

lol yea maybe but is was yellow....maybe the owner was fed up with looking at a turbocharged pissmobile? jk, yea i was curious when the dude told me it was repainted too, what about the price tho...is that really cheap cause i think its pretty low??? and how much is 275whp to the flywheel?

2-YOTA
11-23-2004, 02:03 AM
A local MR2 member just bought this car! It was owned by a 33 year old who was selling due to upcoming wedding.

$JG Money$
11-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Ever find out what color it was?