PDA

View Full Version : Camaro hybrid

jnieuw
11-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Hopefully this won't offend some of you hard-core classic car lovers, but I was thinking of taking a `69 camaro's body and filling it with a modern car's parts. My idea is to basically to buy a similarly sized "salvage" car and use the chasis, motor, interior, and other parts to flesh out an empty `69 camaro body. I figure it is a cheap way to get all the parts you need to build a custom car. I'd like to hear other opinions on this idea though. How hard would it be to match the chasis (would I have to use a camaro chasis?) What problems and complications should I anticipate? I really have no idea how difficult this might be, so I'd like any advice you can give. Thanks.

EK 2.0
11-16-2004, 09:15 PM
I have seen older F-Bodies swapped with the TT Mill from the late model Supras...

as well as the same into very early model Ford and Chevy trucks...

there are also what are known as "G-Machines"...and they are classic Pony/Muscle Cars with newer drivetrains...

ie. 69 Camaro's with C5 Drivetrains...or my fave...

69 Charger R/T with the Viper V10...pics here... (http://www.rancefi.com/matt_delaney.htm)

1badPT
11-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Holy crap - that Charger is awesome man :thumbsup:

jnieuw
11-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Ya, that charger is sweet! I originally got my idea from Porsche 944's that are rebuilt with chevy parts. Most notably a chevy small block V-8 which is easier to maintain and supe up. I had a 944 which I considered converting in such a manner, but my dream car is a `69 camaro ss, but I'm addicted to modern ammenities. I want cruise, ABS, and a high preformance engine. I saw all these "recked" modern cars that sell really cheap and all they have wrong with them is in the body. I thought I could buy one of those and a new `69 camaro replica body and put it all together, but I know it must be more complicated than that. My particular concern is the chasis.

Here is the link to a good 944 hybrid site, incase anyone is interested:

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/main.htm

africano
11-17-2004, 01:07 AM
It's called Pro-Touring :thumbsup:

statick
11-17-2004, 07:47 AM
sounds sweet, but i bet its guna be pretty damn expensive.

ZMan2k2
11-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Actually, I've been considering something like this myself. Getting an old Datsun 280Z, and dropping a Chevy small block in it. Now if only I could win the lottery..............:D

Fire_chickin
11-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
Actually, I've been considering something like this myself. Getting an old Datsun 280Z, and dropping a Chevy small block in it. Now if only I could win the lottery..............:D

I've seen it done, pretty sweet as long as the Dat isn't rusted to pieces. Kick in some sidepipes and it's a sweet custom ride.

jnieuw
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
The way I figure it, it wouldn't be very expensive. A replica `69 camaro body is like 3k and a good salvage car is like 10k (I'm talking about a car considered "totaled" by insurance companies because the body work would be too expensive to repair. The parts should be ok, especially if it was a rear end accident. You can get a mid level sports or luxury car for that price--like a halfway decent jaguar or mercedes.) Of course paint is going to cost you, but you should be able to do all the other work yourself.

habsfan
11-17-2004, 09:26 PM
there will likely be alot of fabrication and cutting to do. dont expect to just buy the parts and put it together like a giant snap tite model. if you choose to do this, you're in for alot of work, so be prepared. if you're prepared to do tons of metal work i say go for it :thumbsup: