PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Turbo Header

90_Shelby
12-01-2002, 06:55 PM
The stock manifold was practically made for a turbo so a flange was simply welded on.

legendboy
12-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Hmm.......Looks really good but I'm not sure how long the weld will last since it looks like you welded a steel flange to a cast iron manifold.

90_Shelby
12-01-2002, 07:02 PM
Don't you know how to weld dissimilar metals?

legendboy
12-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Its all about heating it up then welding it and then slowly cooling it. But Iron and steel have very different rates of expantion and and that will crack eventually with the heat I think. Looks really nice tho. I definatly couldn't weld that nicely :D Good Job indeed!

LancerShelby
12-01-2002, 08:40 PM
Hmmm, looks like cast iron to cast iron to me.

90_Shelby
12-01-2002, 08:45 PM
Your right mild steel and cast expand at different rates the trick is the filler metal used (rod). And again of course pre heating before and after welding.

Lancer it's cast to mild steel.

90_Shelby
12-03-2002, 08:15 PM
By the way, this manifold is actually for a 2.4L Dodge Caravan

RT16V
12-05-2002, 11:14 AM
Sometimes what is not realized, is that some of these cast manifolds are actually cast 'steel' not iron - the turbo Chrysler manifolds are for example & make for very nice & durable welds.

Hollywood
12-06-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
I think its all about heating it up then welding it and then slowly cooling it. But Iron and steel have very different expanding and contracting rates and that will crack eventually with the heat I think. Looks really nice tho. I definatly couldn't weld that nicely :D Good Job indeed!

Weld does look good, but add 1400+ degrees F over time and we will see what happends.

90_Shelby
12-07-2002, 03:24 PM
Yes we will see what happens when the car with this header sees a small 240SX in it's rearview mirror.

P.S. When the header sees 1400*F over time, it will get hot.
Maybe I should put a warning sticker that says "Caution 1400*F Don't Touch":nut:

speedracer
12-07-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Maybe I should put a warning sticker that says "Caution 1400*F Don't Touch":nut:
Or Place uncooked food here :thumbsup:

prophet_ca
12-07-2002, 04:27 PM
those exhaust manifolds flow like crap.... but to weld cast iron to steel you need a good preheat, high nickel rod, and a good cool down.. should be alright and it should stand up to the temperature a turbo system can make...

90_Shelby
12-07-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by prophet_ca
those exhaust manifolds flow like crap.... but to weld cast iron to steel you need a good preheat, high nickel rod, and a good cool down.. should be alright and it should stand up to the temperature a turbo system can make...

Do you know what Darrell Cox is running on the Phatridz Neon for a Turbo Header? This manifold seems to work just fine for 9 second ET's:thumbsup: .......................I don't think there will be a problem for flow.;)

prophet_ca
12-07-2002, 09:35 PM
yeah i do know what he is running... he isn't running a square late 80's van manifold.. he is running a manifold he builds and sells..

http://www.phatridz.com/products/images/turboheader.jpg

90_Shelby
12-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Aside from a modified flange, the exhaust manifold is the stock Caravan cast-iron piece. "I looked at it and decided I couldn't improve on it," Cox says.

Which late 80's van are you refering to as they didn't build those engines in th late 80's?

Boost Infested
12-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by prophet_ca
yeah i do know what he is running... he isn't running a square late 80's van manifold.. he is running a manifold he builds and sells..

http://www.phatridz.com/products/images/turboheader.jpg

http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/fmneon.htm:poosie:

do some research JR.:poosie:

prophet_ca
12-07-2002, 11:24 PM
i aint gonna lye i thought you were using the manifold from a dodge turbo van... not to sure how that header flows (im guessing it flows okay), but darrell cox doesn't use it anymore nor does he drive that car anymore... he uses a modified version of the one i posted.. and he drives the srt..

90_Shelby
12-07-2002, 11:53 PM
Thats Cool:thumbsup:

I did say the manifold was from a 2.4 Caravan, which would mean the same head as the DOHC Neons;) and I agree the old turbo manifolds don't flow too good but they are completely different and wouldn't work on a Neon Head at all. ;)

All I was refering to about the header was that he went 9.07 in the old car using this design, and I'm aware of the new car and Chrysler sponsorship. ;)

Peace:thumbsup:

P.S. I'm pretty sure the pic of the header you posted is for a PT head which flows more than the DOHC Neon head and has a different exhaust flange/bolt pattern.

Hollywood
12-07-2002, 11:56 PM
Yes we will see what happens when the car with this header sees a small 240SX in it's rearview mirror.

OK.:dunno: Your datona is FWD right?

P.S. When the header sees 1400*F over time, it will get hot. Maybe I should put a warning sticker that says "Caution 1400*F Don't Touch [/B]

What's the point. Who's dumb enough to touch a hot maniflold?:banghead:

90_Shelby
12-08-2002, 12:02 AM
Yes my Daytona is FWD..........................and?

In your post you said "but add 1400+ degrees F over time and we will see what happends."........................... well what will happen? All I can think of is................ it will get hot?

Am I missing something here?

Hollywood
12-08-2002, 12:23 AM
Yes my Daytona is FWD..........................and?

In your post you said "but add 1400+ degrees F over time and we will see what happends."........................... well what will happen? All I can think of is................ it will get hot?

Am I missing something here?

Heat + mismatched metals welded= possible holes or cracks.

I don't dought your cars performance, but I don't think it's proper etiquette to talk shit about other peoples cars, especially one you do not know much about and saying you will see me small in your rear view mirror.

90_Shelby
12-08-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Weld does look good, but add 1400+ degrees F over time and we will see what happends.

I'm sorry I must have interpreted this post as a flame attempt.

Hollywood
12-08-2002, 01:38 AM

I'm sorry I must have interpreted this post as a flame attempt.

When you post a picture on a forum that item it's up for discussion. If you were not prepared to hear what others have to say then don't post about it at all.

It was not directed to be a flame just an opinion in which I am intitled to have. Trust me I'm not trashing you, I have heard good things about your car.