PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Loser

Melinda
11-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Anyone been watching this show? I've been hoooked on it or the last few weeks, it's on at 9 every tuesday and it's one of those reality shows that's great cause they're ACTUALLY working to better themselves

For those who arent sure what it is, it's like 12 people who are pretty overweight who are taken away from their families for 12 weeks (I think that's how long it is) and they are divided into two teams and forced to work out like crazy and stick to a pretty strict diet. At the end of the week, everyone steps onto the scale one at a time to see how much they've lost. Whichever team has lost the least has to send one of their team mates home. And they do challenges each week too. The red team had one extra person on their team so if the blue team won, they got a cool helicopter ride and they got to pick the person who sat out at the weigh in that week. Turns out the blue team did win and they won the weigh in to the teams are back down to 4 each now.

It's a pretty cool show, and everyone's starting to get to everyone now so there's lots of drama going on in the house. Pretty interesting show, you find yourself cheering for them hardcore as you watch more and more :)

Anyone else been watching this?

Shaolin
11-17-2004, 10:04 AM
saw previews, but i don't watch enough tv to know when it comes on.. I'll check it out next tuesday because it looked alright.

only reality shows i follow is apprentice and amazing race :D

QuasarCav
11-17-2004, 10:06 AM
So it just reinforces the fact that you can attribute your happiness to the level of weight you have lost?

Most people could not even hope to lose that much without proffessional help. Yet another unrealistic goal set by the good ol' US of A.

Melinda
11-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
So it just reinforces the fact that you can attribute your happiness to the level of weight you have lost?

Most people could not even hope to lose that much without proffessional help. Yet another unrealistic goal set by the good ol' US of A.
It's better than the swan where they throw girls into a plastic surgions office and nip and tuck...this is actaully the right way to do it, professional help or no professional help

86max
11-17-2004, 10:27 AM
I watched one episode, didn't really enjoy it. It was fairly amusing to watch these people stand on a scale in front of a tv camera though lol. You can just see it in their eyes "omg, they all know I'm fat now :cry: " HAHAHA.....it's sad to see people go to this level just to lose some weight.

QuasarCav
11-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

It's better than the swan where they throw girls into a plastic surgions office and nip and tuck...this is actaully the right way to do it, professional help or no professional help

I agree, the swan might as well be called "ultra self esteem destroyer". The show has a good concept but in the end it's a ratings grab because everybody loves to watch what they should be doing!

Lets hope a side effect is more people paying attention to eating right and exercising. There is no need to go on a massive weight loss plan when common sense and proper nutrition can achieve that.

gnarkill
12-15-2004, 12:58 AM
hahahaha that show is stupid same with all the other "reality" tv shows i think theres to many reality shows WAY TO MANY

Juicy
12-15-2004, 01:56 AM
I've watched the show once and I was just disturbed. I mean these ppl are working SO hard to get into shape, and then this guy CRIES at the end because he wasn't "the biggest loser"!!! What kind of msg is that sending? Work your ass off but if you're still fatter than you're peers then .....SUCKER?! I mean good for them for finding other ways to get in shape OTHER than plastic surgery, but I still think the show is totally insensitive, and after the show these ppl will probably need counselling for the emotional trauma and embarassment But that's what gets the ratings up I guess.

fast95pony
12-15-2004, 01:57 AM
I watch it. I'm presently going through my own weight loss program.Seeing these guys only loose a few pounds each week ,despite having professional help 24/7 and no job or school to worry about, gives me encouragement. I also get some workout ideas . Since July I've lost 45lbs :clap: I wanted to loose 50lb by 30 Dec .My final goal is 100lbs by 01 June 2005.

badseed
12-15-2004, 02:04 AM
I waz flippin thru channels tonight and caught a bit of it. I didn't find it entertaining at all but I give mad props to all those obese people. Especially the Fat black guy who had to run the the gate and back (2 miles). For how obese he waz that was an accomplishment and must have made him feel great. I will not watch this show anymore though, I see fat people tryin to lose weight at the gym everyday.

fast95pony
12-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Juicy
... but I still think the show is totally insensitive, and after the show these ppl will probably need counselling for the emotional trauma and embarassment But that's what gets the ratings up I guess.

No, I don't think so . They've accepted that they are overweight,and have decided to do something about it. THAT'S the biggest decision. Many people THINK about loosing weight,but continue to stuff their faces. By actually going on the show,they've decided to DO something about it.
Once you start eating better and exercising and seeing the results , you're addicted. I feel so much better after loosing some weight. You just need a little will power. :)

I bet at the end of the contest , all the competitor's will be happy ,wether they won or not. Their lives will be improved.
:)

Melinda
12-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Yeah next week's episode is the last one and they showed a bit of it tonight...everyone gets to go home and show their families what they look like and everyone is so happy and crying and just overjoyed at what they've accomplished.

The only reason these people cry when they leave is they still feel like they aren't finished and they know its way easier to lose the weight at the ranch with the trainers and the time to do it every day rather than back in the real world where it's going to be more of a maintenance program rather than a "lose all this weight right away" kind of program...definately not as hardcore as the ranch was. Props to them all :thumbsup:

Rockski
12-15-2004, 09:42 AM
GO MO, you made the two mile to the gate and back :D :thumbsup:

blueripper6
12-15-2004, 05:27 PM
its funny how in the first week they all lost like 20 pounds each.. and the second week they each lost like 2 pounds if any...

I think its rigged.. 20 lbs in a week.. rrrrrrrright

davidI
12-15-2004, 05:55 PM
^ It's pretty easy to manipulate your weight and I wouldn't be surprised if the shows producers use this to their advantage. I can gain/lose 10 pounds in a day but that's just food/water weight.

sputnik
12-16-2004, 08:40 AM
the before and after pictures are quite incredible