PDA

View Full Version : Eye Twitching

Melinda
11-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Has anyone ever had one of their eyes twitch for no reason? I've had my left eye going nuts for close to two days now and it's really bugging me. Anyone know what would cause it or how I can go about making it stop??? I know it sounds a little weird but its really freaking me out.

QuasarCav
11-17-2004, 03:28 PM
I get that sometimes, I know how you feel.

It feels like your eye is going nuts but when you look in the mirror it's hardly moving. I just waited until it went away which was usually a few moments.

Try some visine or artificial tears, could be something small bugging the sensative surface of your eye!

cman
11-17-2004, 03:29 PM
i get it very rarely for a short period of time(15seconds and under), its kind of a cool sensation. although i could see how it would be very annoying if it happened all the time

B17a
11-17-2004, 03:37 PM
I must be getting old, my eye does that and half my body. As I type this my quad is going nuts twitching.:nut:

ZorroAMG
11-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Melinda, it's quite normal to have the eye twitch once in a while, i've had it where it does it for a day or two as well....drink lots of water and rest your eyes (ie stay away from computers or tv for a bit if possible)

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 03:47 PM
heh that happened to me for two weeks straight...during midterm season.

first it was my left upper eyelid, then it was my right lower eyelid..

^SkylinE^
11-17-2004, 03:48 PM
http://www.eye-twitching.com/
Here ya go! googles the $hit!:thumbsup:
I have alot of eye problems related to allergies and i constantly have eye twitching problems. Try some lube eye drops, get some rest.
Xrayvsn ( on this board) is great at diagnosing! Maybe he will pop up with some good info. Ill go read up on it a bit!

Melinda
11-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Wow thanks guys, I'm not freaking out as much! Hopefully all will be well soon :)

2.0turbo
11-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Ya Melinda,

I get it when I stressed out. I had it a while ago for like two weeks, the second I was out of the traffic in the city, on my way to BC at like 8:00 pm, just getting dark, nice and relaxed, it went away. It is a stress thing for me. I think for most people. Just get some much needed rest.

Ben
11-17-2004, 03:58 PM
9 times out of 10 it's stress related.

nismodrifter
11-17-2004, 03:59 PM
I used to have it really bad when stressed or tired...and I mean it WAS BAD, both eyes blinking uncontrollably, people asking me "wtf is wrong with you??"

GET SOME SLEEP!! thats the only way it will go away

Melinda
11-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
Ya Melinda,

I get it when I stressed out. I had it a while ago for like two weeks, the second I was out of the traffic in the city, on my way to BC at like 8:00 pm, just getting dark, nice and relaxed, it went away. It is a stress thing for me. I think for most people. Just get some much needed rest.

Originally posted by Ben
9 times out of 10 it's stress related.
Well at this point in time, that would make a whole ton of sense. Stress very well could be a factor at this point in time in my life. Now I need to get rid of this stress cause this buzzing eye is relentless! :(

legendboy
11-17-2004, 04:05 PM
I had this last year for like 2 months! It was driving me crazy. It just went away after a while. I think mine was definatly sleep related. I wasn't sleeping so much then. My doctor said sleep and stress.

Melinda
11-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
I had this last year for like 2 months! It was driving me crazy. It just went away after a while. I think mine was definatly sleep related. I wasn't sleeping so much then. My doctor said sleep and stress.
My sleep isn't too bad lately but my stress has been astronomical. I'm gonna have to find a way to calm myself down a little bit to make this stop. It's been going for like 2 days and a whole day last week and off and on little bit at a time between then. I can close my eye and put my finger to it and feel it going nuts under my eyelid. :(

Thanks again everyone

R-Audi
11-17-2004, 04:23 PM
I had it for about three weeks one summer, after taking a rather large faceplant wakeboarding.....But typically for me it is due to not enough sleep.

thich
11-17-2004, 07:37 PM
hehe asians have superstition about eye-twitching:

i think the left eye twitch meant someone was thinking about u and the right eye twitch meant a bad omen...
or it's the other way around. i'm not sure. lol :D

anyways, i've had the eye twitch thing before too and i think it was usually attributed to a combination of stress and not getting enough rest.

240_pimp
11-17-2004, 09:10 PM
LEFT eye twitching MEANS BAD LUCK..... Trust me.... My left eye was going nuts one day... And that day something BAD happened that same day, and it sucked....

xrayvsn
11-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Again, not my field of expertise, but I've done some reading about this in my textbooks from med school:

This is very common, and medically, it is called myokymmia. It involves the orbicularis oculi muscle (that helps close the eyelid) - usually the lower half, but can also affect the top half. They are fine fasciculations of the eyelid that is usually self-limiting, meaning that it will stop on its own. Its a benign condition, and you notice it more than others do.

Reducing stress can help, as does reducing caffeine and alcohol intake. With this, try to get more rest, as this can also help. You need to worry if it is also associated with twitching in other parts of your face, or if the character of the fasciculations change.

thich
11-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by 240_pimp
LEFT eye twitching MEANS BAD LUCK..... Trust me.... My left eye was going nuts one day... And that day something BAD happened that same day, and it sucked....

lol thanx for the correction.
i don't know my asian superstitions all too well lol

kiwi
11-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by 240_pimp

Left eye is good luck, right eye is bad luck.

Melinda
11-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
This is very common, and medically, it is called myokymmia. It involves the orbicularis oculi muscle (that helps close the eyelid) - usually the lower half, but can also affect the top half.
It's the upper half of my orbicularis oculi. I traced it there this afternoon before I posted this thread but I figured I'd get a whole bunch of :confused: if I posted the name of the actual muscle lol. If I close my eye and gently move my finger around in the socket I find the muscle and you can feel the muscle move involuntarily every few seconds. I had a nap tonight but it didnt help at all, however it has now been accompanied by a yucky headache. I dont drink a tremendous alot of caffene and I dont drink alcohol so those probably arent huge factors. Early bed time for me tonight to see if that helps.

Thanks again everyone

Mckenzie
11-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Someone asked this question in Mens Health a couple months ago...

It is generally sleep and/or stress related.

I get that too around midterm time.....kinda freaky when you are talking to someone and you have a little twitch attack...lol:eek:

ricosuave
11-22-2004, 01:02 PM
LOL

i remember i had an eye twitch that lasted about a month - drove me mad - no one else noticed, but to me, it was as obvious as my arm flailing around....

rico