PDA

View Full Version : real estate agents...

kanjus_paki
11-17-2004, 03:42 PM
so i know its possible without much schooling and such but just wondering what it takes to be one and how much school if any you guys have gone through and if it was necessary

2002civic
11-17-2004, 11:39 PM
you need to take some course i believe which is fairly short(less than 2 years) i believe you NEED school you cant just be a real estate agent

Weapon_R
11-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by kanjus_paki
so i know its possible without much schooling and such but just wondering what it takes to be one and how much school if any you guys have gone through and if it was necessary

It's an easy course to become one. For a lot of realtors, its a part time job. Nothing you can completely count on unless you are good and know a lot of people.

2002civic
11-17-2004, 11:46 PM
right now its a good career but who knows the market 10 years down the road

JordanLotoski
11-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

It's an easy course to become one. For a lot of realtors, its a part time job. Nothing you can completely count on unless you are good and know a lot of people.

its a part time job for the agents who shouldnt be in the industry, I yself am a full time realtor, and really enjoy it. I think the course is 6 months long now. When i took it it was 3 weeks..anwyays best of luck

roopi
11-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Not sure how current this is:

http://www.mtroyal.ab.ca/conted/realestate/agents.shtml

kanjus_paki
11-18-2004, 12:21 AM
is it a special place you have to go through or is it offered anywhere?

JordanLotoski
11-18-2004, 12:33 AM
calgary real estate board or mount royal.....

BebeAphrodite
11-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

its a part time job for the agents who shouldnt be in the industry, I yself am a full time realtor, and really enjoy it. I think the course is 6 months long now. When i took it it was 3 weeks..anwyays best of luck

wow!
it's 6 months now?
I took the course this summer at 3 weeks... ha ha ha
it was sooo boringgg :D

BebeAphrodite
11-19-2004, 08:53 PM

You have to also realise that it takes quite a bit to be an agent.
I took the class for interest and I was shocked at how many fees there were to pay. I don't remember the list but not only is the course (or the course WAS) 1100 or something like that but there are also yearly fees... more fees to pay plus the desk fees to pay the agency. It's shockingly expensive and hard to pursue part time unless you have crazy connections. It seems hard to even break even.

JordanLotoski
11-19-2004, 10:26 PM
well....its not that bad....fees per year are about 1200 bucks to the calgary real estate board, plus yes u do pay a monthly fee to your brokerage...Ive kept in touch with alot of my classmates and only about 10% are doing well, thank god iam one of them

Real estate isnt something anyone can do, u have to be really self motivated and relalize that there are gonna be times where your soo slow, there are 4500 realtors in alberta and id say only 20% that are doing well

hey CuteAsianAngel, you took the class, and not gonna get into it?

ohh if anyones intrested in buying or selling lemme know:D

REFLUX
11-20-2004, 12:36 AM
^^^^^
any other insight you can provide about your career?

I have a pretty good idea of what it's like but maybe some quirks to the job you never saw coming???

t-im
11-20-2004, 12:43 AM
I think being a realtor would be cool..something I COULD see myself doing..i've worked for realtors for awhile and have seen everything and get the general jist of it (the people i've worked for were complete idiots so I had to do alot for them)

But then I don't like the "uncercertainty" attached with it. I guess it's like anything else..if yoou work hard at it you can do good but if you just think it's gonna be all this easy money then you're not gonna do so hot (which I think alot of ppl think before they enter real estate)

max_boost
11-20-2004, 02:27 AM
Anyone know Peter Dam?

I'm not too familiar with the realtors outside of the Asian community but open up the Chinese newspaper, this guy has like two full pages of houses and restaurants for sale!

They call him the 'King of Restaurant'

I wonder how much money he rakes in?!?!:eek:

t-im
11-20-2004, 02:31 AM
^ haha yea i've seen his ads and crap....he probably makes fairly good money..but you never know..some realtors cut comissions and stuff (tho they still make a healthy amount) and you can have lotsa listings but not sell that many (tho i doubt thats the case with him)

BebeAphrodite
11-20-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

hey CuteAsianAngel, you took the class, and not gonna get into it?

I was never interested in it. My dad wanted me to take it for knowledge because he buys/sells/rents property and wanted me to know more and because this was the first time that I've taken the summer off of school (usually I go year round) he got me to take this class.
I had no idea of all the fees so I was pretty shocked to find out what was involved. And the class was pretty useless for me. There's nothing there that I didn't know from my dad before. But you need the class as a stepping stone to even continue anywhere.
Huge percentage of people who fail in the market... it's hard. Glad that you're doing well though! :D

kanjus_paki
11-20-2004, 08:05 PM
ya mite something i mite do one of these summers just for shits, im currently in uni anyways, wouldnt be my primary job tahts for sure

BebeAphrodite
11-20-2004, 10:00 PM
kanjus: the course is now way longer and it's too expensive to pursue as a part time job.
Some of my classmates talked to different brokerages and the cheapest one that they found with something like 200 something a month. That's pretty expensive... and too much to do just the break even (remember there are yearly fees as well as fees to pay once you're in the field).
Unless you know a lot of people interested in buying and selling and would go through you, I wouldn't go after this as a way to make money. I think u'd end up losing more than you would gain.

ZorroAMG
11-21-2004, 02:21 AM
ya mite something i mite do one of these summers just for shits, im currently in uni anyways, wouldnt be my primary job tahts for sure

Wow, I am sure looking forward to having such an eloquent and obviously intelligent person like you joining my industry.

Welcome to the 80% category.

brandon
11-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Wow, I am sure looking forward to having such an eloquent and obviously intelligent person like you joining my industry.

:rofl: :rofl:

supaj87GTS
11-21-2004, 09:16 PM
you can take the course at Sait College takes about 3 months nights Classes Available.

Around $1000

max_boost
11-21-2004, 09:49 PM

Welcome to the 80% category. You never know Zorro! MYWFYSHOT writes at that level from time to time, and look at him, he's doing pretty good :D:rofl:

kanjus_paki
11-21-2004, 10:26 PM

well as much of a fool i am on here, i may surprise you in real life :)...that is all

ZorroAMG
11-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Well, for YOUR sake, I hope you're right.

t-im
11-21-2004, 10:45 PM
^ haha whatever, being a real estate agent isnt as easy and seriously, unless all your friends/family are looking to buy/sell/whatever wihtin the 4 months of the summer...

kanjus_paki
11-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Well, for YOUR sake, I hope you're right.

ok, well i think i am, im sure not trying to impress anyone on here, however you may have noticed some serious posts of mine....but whatever

$JG Money$
11-23-2004, 12:16 PM
^LOL (just had to throw that in)

Khyron
11-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Just curious if the realtors here are concerned about being pushed out of the market via internet listings/sales etc. I just watched it happen with the travel agencies and I see the exact same thing happening with real estate. Soo much overhead.

Khyron

Texas
11-23-2004, 05:38 PM
I knew this chick who got into it as a part time thing... she was like begging me to sell my house with her... and I never even made a nuance that I had any intentions of it.. I think she was desparate or something....possibly came to the realization that it isnt a cheap industry to be in.

ZorroAMG
11-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Khyron most people buying a house don't have the time to research all the areas for resale value, amenities, growth, price of comparable homes etc. Plus once you do decide to look at a certain house realtors are much more knowledgable in negotiating on prices. Are you going to want to stay home from work to show potential buyers? Do you want to do your own additional marketing? Do you want to hunt down bullshit tirekickers? Do you want to write up offers and track down signatures? All of these things are really time consuming and are what realtors do...

I don't see them getting phased out because a home is a tangible good and requires attention for the sale...a flight isn't really tangible if you know what I mean.. you say when and where you wanna go, choose the airline and pay the person or online...no due dilligence no conditions, no financing, you see, we still need sales people from time to time...

Khyron
11-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Hrm sorry - I didn't mean eliminated. More like a financial advisor, or perhaps a home inspector, or an architect. Or even a lawyer.

Ie, more independent. There's so many fees, and "standard" commissions, and royalties to parent "associations" that was, before the internet, the only way to really get your house seen. Having my condo listed was an excellent service, but it wasn't worth 8+ thousand dollars.

I'd assume most realtors use the internet to get their MLS listings - no reason why that can't become a little more competitive like the phone books did. It's already starting - just need some realtors who are sick of paying monthly royalties to break away. :D

Khyron