PDA

View Full Version : What is your take on severely overweight people? Do you feel sorry for them at all?

Pages : [1] 2

GucciBoy
11-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Not to be rude, but I don't. Cause how I see it is, just because you are overweight, doesn't mean you are unable to excercize and lose some pounds. It just takes commitment and confidence. What I don't appreciate is people (like ones at my work), say about 400lbs, are just downright unfriendly and rude to everyone. Everything they have to bItch about, or nag.

If they weren't overweight, I can assure you, they would not be acting that way. But when you think about it, the reason why they are overweight, is mainly - yes themselves. They are the only ones to get out of it. Even if they have severe problems with always gaining weight, it doesn't take out the possibility of losing weight. You always see people on Oprah, etc lose weight. It shows its possible and it just takes faith in yourself and motivation. Consistent motivation!

What I dont like is when they complain with how they are and how they look, but every single day they eat chips, candy, choc bars, fast food for lunch, snacks and dinner. Dont even excersize, no source of physical activity! Little stuff like taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Drinking lots of water to keep hydrated, and NOT hitting those handicap buttons to open doors for them when they can easily open it themselves. That is why they are overweight right there. Not to sound like an a$$ or anything, cause I'm not, but I just thought I would bring this topic up and see how others feel about it. I have nothing against overweight people. I just dont appreciate when they try to bring down others due to their appearance and feeling that others are to blame for their weight problems. I'm out.

~Leah~
11-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy

If they weren't overweight, I can assure you, they would not be acting that way. But when you think about it, the reason why they are overweight, is mainly - yes themselves. They are the only ones to get out of it. Even if they have severe problems with always gaining weight, it doesn't take out the possibility of losing weight.

What I dont like is when they complain with how they are and how they look, but every single day they eat chips, candy, choc bars, fast food for lunch, snacks and dinner. Dont even excersize, no source of physical activity! Little stuff like taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Drinking lots of water to keep hydrated, and NOT hitting those handicap buttons to open doors for them when they can easily open it themselves. That is why they are overweight right there. Not to sound like an a$$ or anything, cause I'm not, but I just thought I would bring this topic up and see how others feel about it. I have nothing against overweight people. I just dont appreciate when they try to bring down others due to their appearance and feeling that others are to blame for their weight problems. I'm out.

The first paragraph I quoted I do not agree with. Care to PROVE to me that if these people weren't overweight, that they would not be nagging assholes? Cuz I know plenty of jerks, hell, I've dated them, and they sure as hell aren't 400 lbs!

And some people DO have physical disabilities that make them gain weight/make it next to impossible to lose weight, such as my friend with a thyroid disorder. The thyroid glands do not discrete the right amount of hormone, and therefore their body's metabolism is shot, which is what burns your calories thruout the day.

HOWEVER!!! Whatever the case may be, physical disability, or pure laziness/bad lifestyle choices... people of all sizes, ages, weights need to start eating healthier!!! I will admit, I notice an overweight person at fast food places, more than average weight people, mainly because they're showing the world why they look the way they do. It honestly disgusts me, not to be mean, but because my career has to do with changing lifestyle habits, and getting people to be more fit and healthy.

From working at a gym in Regina (they have a HUGE one here: Athletic Innovations Fit Zone, in the SE) I have personally seen many success stories from girls/guys I worked with as personal trainers, and even had a few for myself.

Society today is overweight. It's gross, but there are people working towards making it better. But everyone needs to chip in, and have the will to do it, because the motivation is there for you!

davidI
11-17-2004, 04:41 PM
^ What she said!

I just hate having to sit next to a larger person on an airplane or on the bus or something when they've got the 'fat overlap.' I hate watching my tax money go towards their future heart attacks as well. I had some friends from the East here though and the first thing they said was that it looked like people worked out more here which is good! :)

GucciBoy
11-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by davidI
^ What she said!

I just hate having to sit next to a larger person on an airplane or on the bus or something when they've got the 'fat overlap.' I hate watching my tax money go towards their future heart attacks as well. I had some friends from the East here though and the first thing they said was that it looked like people worked out more here which is good! :)

I agree. And great posts by both of you.

I had this 450 lb woman sit next to me once at work and she was wearing so MUCH deodorant and baby powder - gross. ...urgh.

ryder_23
11-17-2004, 04:45 PM
It seems like there not more assholish or anything. Its just since there obese, we tend to be more critical to what there saying. I mean, i've met plenty of really nice overweight people, and plenty of not so nice over weight people. But same goes for people who are average weight, u meet some nice people, and alot of not so nice. you just notice it more b/c there overweight.

three.eighteen.
11-17-2004, 04:49 PM
whatever, all fat people are jolly :rofl:

chris
11-17-2004, 05:11 PM
did anybody see supersize me. That one guy that got his stomach made smaller lost some mad weight. I don't think that obesity should be classified as a disease or a disability. That's bullshit

blueripper6
11-17-2004, 05:22 PM
I do agree with the fat people being bitches and naggers, its true though... skinny people are much happier people because they have 1 less thing to gripe about..

Loosing wieght makes u feel better, which makes u generally happier

86max
11-17-2004, 05:24 PM
The power-wheelchair lady in traffic comes to mind......

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 05:31 PM
most fat people mess up their own bodies, but there is a small portion (haha PORTION) of fatties that are genetically predispositioned to being fat. lets not ignore the minority here.

B17a
11-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

cuz lets face it, being severely overweight, much like being a crook, is typically a lifestyle choice of the individual, and as such being fat is a crime against the persons own body and against society, financially and aesthetically.

Amen!

GTS Jeff
11-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by B17a

Amen! hahahahaha get outa here ya big fattie

Chim
11-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Hey Gucciboy I'm with you 100%

If overweight people are happy with who they are, then let them be happy. But the one thing I can't stand is when they are obese, unhappy with it, but only complain about how hard it is to lose weight.

I have to eat 6 meals a day just to maintain my 170lbs, and I'm going to have to toss in another 2 when I have time to bulk again. So excuse me if I sound a little bit biased when I say it's the easiest thing in the world to lose weight. For bulkers, we have to sacrifice the foods we love for foods we don't like, then eat LOTS of the foods we dont like (can't recall how many times I've almost puked because I pushed it too far).

People looking to lose weight only have to trade foods they love for foods they don't like... big deal. Sure, genes play a role in getting and maintaining a fit body, but motivation is more key than anything here.

Am I the only one that thinks in 30 years, half the population will need power wheelchairs to get around?

B17a
11-17-2004, 05:42 PM
hahahahaha get outa here ya big fattie

Fuck you insensitive bastard, it's my pituatary gland!:poosie: :rofl:

bspot
11-17-2004, 05:44 PM
I just hate it how you can call your friend a smoker, and tease them for it and tell them to stop before they die, but if you call a fatty a fatty and tell them to stop eating before they die its not cool.

~Leah~
11-17-2004, 05:46 PM
They don't have to stop eating, they just have to make better lifestyle choices, including what they put in their mouth.

Alpine Autowerks
11-17-2004, 05:47 PM

.' I hate watching my tax money go towards their future heart attacks as well.

what about all those damn active people who get sports injuries ?

danno567
11-17-2004, 05:48 PM
^ What she said!

I agree. If you want to, you can loose the weight. It all depends on how bad you want it.

I dont feel sorry for anyone who eats, and eats, and eats. We all have choices.

Melinda
11-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks

what about all those damn active people who get sports injuries ?
I some how think that a double bipass is a little more expensive than a knee surgery...

Carfanman
11-17-2004, 05:54 PM
I have to eat 6 meals a day just to maintain my 170lbs, and I'm going to have to toss in another 2 when I have time to bulk again. So excuse me if I sound a little bit biased when I say it's the easiest thing in the world to lose weight. For bulkers, we have to sacrifice the foods we love for foods we don't like, then eat LOTS of the foods we dont like (can't recall how many times I've almost puked because I pushed it too far).
One mistake.
It's not always that easy to lose weight. Some people have a overly fast metabolism, and those are the people who have problems gaining weight. Others have a slow metabolism and that is why they have problems losing weight. So just because it's easier for you to loser weight doesn't mean its that way for everyone.

~Leah~
11-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman

One mistake.
It's not always that easy to lose weight. Some people have a overly fast metabolism, and those are the people who have problems gaining weight. Others have a slow metabolism and that is why they have problems losing weight. So just because it's easier for you to loser weight doesn't mean its that way for everyone.

precisely

1badPT
11-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

I some how think that a double bipass is a little more expensive than a knee surgery...
Not to mention its far more common! Heart disease is by far the biggest killer in Canada and the money spent treating it with pharmaceuticals, surgeries and therapies is absolutely disgusting!

$1,572 million in hospital costs in Canada 1993 (Health Canada)
$263 million in physician costs in Canada 1993 (Health Canada)
$239 million in 1,565 costs in Canada 1993 (Health Canada)
$2 million in research costs in Canada 1993 (Health Canada)
$2,076 million in direct costs in Canada 1993 (Health Canada)
$696 million in long-term disability costs in Canada 1993 (Health Canada)
$4,595 million in mortality costs in Canada 1993 (Health Canada)
$5,291 million in indirect costs in Canada 1993 (Health Canada)
$7,784 million in Canada 1993 (Health Canada)

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:ISX7QCMZFIcJ:www.wrongdiagnosis.com/c/coronary_heart_disease/basics.htm+cost+of+heart+disease+in+canada&hl=en

Those are 10 year old stats - the problem has gotten worse with the average age in Canada having increased since 1993, plus the higher costs due to inflation.

Chim
11-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman

One mistake.

Yea but my point is that a fat person losing weight needs less time and effort than a skinny person trying to lose weight.

I'll re-illustrate my point in my previous post to make it easier to understand:

To gain weight:
1) Sacrifice foods you love for foods you don't like as much (as to gain solid muscle mass rather than fat)
2) Eat TONS of food you don't like as much (for me it was 2-3x more than before I started working out, just to keep up with the metabolism)
3) Work out

To lose weight:
1) Sacrifice foods you love for foods you don't like as much (as to lower overall calorie count and still not be hungry)
2) Work out

See the missing step?

I mean, I don't know first hand what its like to be overly obese and try to lose weight, and this could be a huge bias on my part. But the way I see it right now.... while I'm in the kitchen preparing yet another meal, or forcing down another can of tuna/cottage cheese/barf shake, fatty only has to keep his hands away from the pizza hut speedial number. I'm sure there's some hard gainers on this board who agree with me (well maybe not, this is a car forum not a bodybuilding forum)

Let me know if my logic is flawed :)

Carfanman
11-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Well I'm not extremely obese but I could stand to lose like 10 pounds.
Basically no its no t only two steps because its just as hard to eat less then your used to then it is to eat more then you used to. so the 3rd step should be eat less then usuall even though you get really hungry and have cravings for other food.

GT2NV
11-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Chim

while I'm in the kitchen preparing yet another meal, or forcing down another can of tuna/cottage cheese/barf shake, fatty only has to keep his hands away from the pizza hut speedial number. I'm sure there's some hard gainers on this board who agree with me (well maybe not, this is a car forum not a bodybuilding forum)

Let me know if my logic is flawed :)
i hear ya man, i used to have 3 protien shakes a day, 4 meals and 1 creatine drink a day to gain weight, i gained 20 pounds and i thought id never change from my skinney self! as far as larger ppl, the only ones i truly respect are the ones i see at the gym working out just as hard as i did to change the way i looked..... man todays societys stereotypes really put alot of pressure on you to conform to the ideal body type... o well when i look good i feel good so why not lol:D need to start eating more again haha:cry:

MenteL
11-18-2004, 01:15 AM
I'm 40 pounds over weight aparantly someone who is 6 feet tall should weigh no more than 200, well i weigh 240....i also have a thyroid problem that medication cant fix and an addiction to cigarettes and pepsi lol.

who wants to be my trainer and motivate me to get off my ass and get skinny? :rofl: I'll pay you in cheeseburgers ;)

badseed
11-18-2004, 01:54 AM
I sometimes feel bad for these people who are obese, not because of their lazyness but genetics or a associated disease. I do not feel sorry for people who are just plain lazy and insist on a sedentary lifestyle. If all your gonna do is eat and sleep and complain about being fat than don't be suprised when I stone you.:guns:

vegas2005baby
11-18-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
What is your take on severely overweight people? Do you feel sorry for them at all?

when i see overweight people, the only thing i see is a ugly dumb fuck stick. I treat overweight people differently too.

badseed
11-18-2004, 02:01 AM
Wow thats an intelligent comment. [Your obviously very educated]
Some people cannot contro there weight as stated above. I'm guessing your about 16 or just very ignorant.

MenteL
11-18-2004, 02:20 AM
call me fat and or ugly to my face , and i'll show you a thing or two about res pect, you dumb fuck

Carfanman
11-18-2004, 10:13 AM
you tell him.

B17a
11-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by vegas2005baby

when i see overweight people, the only thing i see is a ugly dumb fuck stick. I treat overweight people differently too.

Wow, since you are so judgemental, I'm almost afraid to ask what you think of coloured folk!

Mckenzie
11-18-2004, 11:03 AM
When I vacationed in Florida for 18 days this summer, I have to say that Americans are the most unhealthy people I have ever seen in my life.

They are so fat its not even funny....more or less scary.

Most obese people in Canada seem to be a bit fatter than mormal with a few being quite large, but in the states the people are disgustingly fat! I am talking like 250, 300, 350, 400 lbs fat no joke. And they walk around eating hamburgers, chips, pop, etc. The meal portions in restaurants would blow your fuckin mind compared to here. And also, some of them are so fat that they need wheels chairs to get around in...its really bad down there. I never really realized what kind of epedemic they were always refering too.

I think being overwieght is a lifestyle choice. Some people enjoy living healthy, others do not. I know some people's metabolisms are not as high as others but that is all the more reason to watch what you eat. Dont complain that obesity is a disease to me while you are munching on a twinkie and cake....these people should realize the damage they are doing to their body and proactively do something about it instead of blaming 100% of their overweight on genetics.

ZorroAMG
11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
People, it's "pleasantly plump" not fat, or fattie!!

Some people have not only physical issues preventing them from losing weight, but a lot of severely overweight people started out as only pleasantly plump and were harassed, teased, belittled verbally abused or physically abused etc. This creates a HUGE complex, driving a lot of people to eat away instead of drowning away their sorrows. Try being a victim of abuse all your life with food being your only comfort then try and gain the self esteem to remove yourself from the comfort and stop eating.

Good luck with that....

Now stop being pricks and making the situation worse by being your asshole selves to overweight people. Your attitudes and posts are the cause of a lot of obesity. :rolleyes:

Alpine Autowerks
11-18-2004, 03:03 PM
I some how think that a double bipass is a little more expensive than a knee surgery... [/B][/QUOTE]

http://www.germanmedicine.net/en/pricesheart.html

Knee Surgery
Total Knee Replacement: 9200 EUR
Post-Op Rehab after Knee Replacement (10 days):
1100 EUR
Heart Surgery and Treatment
Bypass Surgery : 11600 EUR

looks like a near tie to me

Melinda
11-18-2004, 03:12 PM

Knee Surgery
1100 EUR

Find a canadian or even an american site and I'll go with what you're saying...but Europe has very different, foods, cultures, medicine, rates of disease/injury ect.

Carfanman
11-18-2004, 03:13 PM
I dont no what your talking about. There are alot of obese ppl here but not like your saying. Wheelchairs?! NO

Melinda
11-18-2004, 03:25 PM

Knee Surgery
Post-Op Rehab after Knee Replacement (10 days):1100 EUR

^^^Read up a few posts, I've already responded to that post...Euro stats don't mean much to me

Alpine Autowerks
11-18-2004, 03:36 PM

^^^Read up a few posts, I've already responded to that post...Euro stats don't mean much to me

sorry I was editing..

are you saying europeans are are different than domestic or JDM ?

surgery done flat rate by time on the slab , it doesn't matter what part is being worked on

pixil9
11-18-2004, 03:41 PM
i love large women.. 350+ god they're good fucks

MenteL
11-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by pixil9
i love large women.. 350+ god they're good fucks :werd: find a fold and fuck it

Singel
11-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Ther obesity epidemic is just like alcoholism or smoking. Part of me wants to just say: Put down the fork and go to the gym! But it's really a disease. Not being a smoker/drug addict now, its very easy for me to say that I'd be strong enough to stop cold turkewy and it wouldn't be very hard, when in reality that is not the truth. Our brains are funny things, and won't always tell our bodies to do whats best for them.

As long as they're atleast trying, that's good enough for me IMO. And if they're happy the way they are, that's fine with me too, as long as it doesn't directly impact me in a negative way (Airplane, or maybe they smell bad at work (not to say some skinny people don't smell bad)). But I also don't want to be paying taxes for their hospital bills, quite a complex issue actually.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Just a quick point:

While obesity vastly increases the chances of heart disease in people, it is not the only cause. Many tax dollars for heart bypasses and such go towards people with heart disease, who are not overweight. My father had a heart attack and a resulting quadruple bypass (it was a quadruple due to irregular artey structure, however) last month, and he is not overweight, and is quite active. The fact is, heart disease runs in the males of my family. It's inherited, not due to obesity. Me, I'm 145 lbs, 5'10", and it's very probable that I will die of heart disease, just because of family history. So, it's not just the grossly overweight folks that use medicare, it's us normal people as well! Though, I'd really like to know the stats of overweight vs non-overweight heart surgeries, if anyone's got them!

cboyspimp
11-18-2004, 10:19 PM
lol what a funny thread.. my cousin is hella fat and hes chillen i guess.. and he loves driving and cars.. hes got a stock mustang but i guess its ok for beating the absolute shit out of:rofl: anyways his family hobbies include 'laying down' eating and driving lol.. if kids are fat young i think its the parents fault for not watching thier kids health.. especially spoiled fat kids (like my cousin) with from when they were young they had mopeds golf carts quads and dirtbikes.. LOL.. anyways fat people are straight up FUGLY so if your a fat chick i dont look twice..:thumbsup:

Carfanman
11-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by pixil9
i love large women.. 350+ god they're good fuks

Thats disgusting yo.

~Leah~
11-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by cboyspimp
anyways fat people are straight up FUGLY so if your a fat chick i dont look twice..:thumbsup:

Wow... seriously man, you talk like you think your god's gift to this earth... ur probably one of those nerds that sits in his room by himself at nite whacking off to star wars (sorry if anyone else on this forum does that, hahahaha)

But seriously, you have to be one of the rudest most judgemental ppl i've ever... well... not met... but u get the idea. you'll get nowhere in life being that shallow. and i bet i wouldn't look twice at ya if i saw u out either

PGTze
11-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

Wow... seriously man, you talk like you think your god's gift to this earth... ur probably one of those nerds that sits in his room by himself at nite whacking off to star wars (sorry if anyone else on this forum does that, hahahaha)

But seriously, you have to be one of the rudest most judgemental ppl i've ever... well... not met... but u get the idea. you'll get nowhere in life being that shallow. and i bet i wouldn't look twice at ya if i saw u out either

BURN! :rofl:

shadow
11-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Now I agree with somethings in this thread however... I do not believe being overweight does not necessarily make you a mean person.

Also I agree with the idea that different people have different metabolic rates. A while back I used to go to the gym every other day.. there was a fellow there who was probably about 280 or so but every morning I was there I saw him and I assume he probably went every day. I kinda felt sorry for the dude... because he was losing weight but it seemed to be disproportional from the rest of the people who were at the gym.
Most other people were getting buff in about half the amount of time.... but he just kept on chuggin along bit by bit.

After seeing this guy I threw away the idea where fat always = lazy.

vegas2005baby
11-20-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by B17a

Wow, since you are so judgemental, I'm almost afraid to ask what you think of coloured folk!

you guys are judgemental, i've got nothing agaisnt people who are different (well except for people who are different for the sake of being different, i don't like those people) its just being overweight(in most cases) is YOUR fault. Fatties(in most cases) are, simply put, weak people.

I hope you understand what I'm saying.

vegas2005baby
11-20-2004, 04:14 AM

relax girl, its his opinion, which is actually the norm incase you haven't noticed, well hold on, let me check cosmo, maybe a 500 pound fatty is on the cover :(

Skyline_Addict
11-20-2004, 04:16 AM
i think it's so unhealthy, yet there is always something they can do about it. i think you feel less sorry for them when they start to blame society for their insecurities. they should lose weight to become healthy, it has nothing to do with society.

googe
11-20-2004, 04:28 AM

ur probably one of those nerds that sits in his room by himself at nite whacking off to star wars (sorry if anyone else on this forum does that, hahahaha)

as a matter of fact... :love: :poosie: :drool:

but yeah, in response to the rest of the thread, ive never been overweight so i think im going to leave these kinds of judgements to those that have been. those of you that havent been there really shouldnt be talking. even those that have been there probably arent really in a position to judge.

its easy to pick out being overweight as a flaw, but if you think we cant find flaws in you and complain about them on a forum as well, youre kidding yourself. do we really need to rally on the internet and point out other peoples problems?

vegas2005baby
11-20-2004, 04:30 AM
yes, yes we do ;)

Singel
11-20-2004, 01:12 PM

its just being overweight(in most cases) is YOUR fault. Fatties(in most cases) are, simply put, weak people.

Becoming overweight is probably more likely not your fault. Either poor nutritional upbringing, or just health problems/slow metabolism. If you decide to stay overweight, its your fault, but that doesn't make you a weak person. Skinny people can't seem to understand that fatties won't lose 10 pounds a single day on the treadmill and its that easy. You probly think because you drink pop and eat pizza all day without getting fat that obese people must drink frosting and eat McD's for every meal, when in reality a fatty eating an apple is often the equivalent of you having a bag of chips.

relax girl, its his opinion, which is actually the norm incase you haven't noticed, well hold on, let me check cosmo, maybe a 500 pound fatty is on the cover :(

At one time slavery was the norm. Genocide was the norm in Germany, etc. Go check the cover, and you're seeing fake tits and airbrushing. I'd rather have a fatty on the cover than some fake bitch, so atleast maybe girls can feel good about themselves for once

GTS Jeff
11-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Singel

Becoming overweight is probably more likely not your fault. Either poor nutritional upbringing, or just health problems/slow metabolism. If you decide to stay overweight, its your fault, but that doesn't make you a weak person. Skinny people can't seem to understand that fatties won't lose 10 pounds a single day on the treadmill and its that easy. You probly think because you drink pop and eat pizza all day without getting fat that obese people must drink frosting and eat McD's for every meal, when in reality a fatty eating an apple is often the equivalent of you having a bag of chips.

At one time slavery was the norm. Genocide was the norm in Germany, etc. Go check the cover, and you're seeing fake tits and airbrushing. I'd rather have a fatty on the cover than some fake bitch, so atleast maybe girls can feel good about themselves for once poor nutritional upbringing is bs. weight loss concepts are all over the media and is pretty much popculture. and slow metabolism is also bullshit. u think that everyones metabolism just slowed down from the 80s to the 90s?

for some people, there are genetic predispositions towards looking fatly gross, but thats not the case for the majority of fatsos.

~Leah~
11-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Actually yes, environmental factors, along with genetics are the 2 major causes of obesity.

Environmental factors: Look at Asians, Look at Americans. Asians eat a lot of low fat food, that's just what Asian food is like, and contributes as to why they are usually so tiny.

Look at Americans: fast food central right there. Growing up, you can't tell me mommy and daddy don't take their kids to McDonalds for happy meals however many times a week, cuz they do. Look at how fat Americans are compared to Asians.

As a child, you don't control the foods that you eat. You're parents give you food and you eat it. In today's society, everything is so competitive, parents have minimal time at home, so the easy fix is bringing home burgers and fries. Children are getting more obese these days too, which makes it even sadder.

And Vegas, I don't give a flying fuck what the 'norm' is. The girls on the cover of magazines are fake, airbrushed, and have severe eating disorders. I don't think that's a good norm for people to go by.

~Leah~
11-20-2004, 02:24 PM
poor nutritional upbringing is bs. weight loss concepts are all over the media and is pretty much popculture. and slow metabolism is also bullshit. u think that everyones metabolism just slowed down from the 80s to the 90s?

for some people, there are genetic predispositions towards looking fatly gross, but thats not the case for the majority of fatsos.

As well.... slow metabolism is NOT bullshit!!!

Everyone has different metabolism's. I know my metabolism is much different than that of a 110 lb girl, and that of a 200 lb girl.

Metabolism is a body process, unique to each person. This is also where the weight disorders arise, because certain hormones are not being released, therefore slowing the metabolic process down, therefore not burning as many calories, therefore, gaining weight.

Singel
11-20-2004, 08:37 PM
poor nutritional upbringing is bs. weight loss concepts are all over the media and is pretty much popculture. and slow metabolism is also bullshit. u think that everyones metabolism just slowed down from the 80s to the 90s?

Actually, most middle aged peoples metabolisms did slow down from the 80's and 90's, it happens when you get a bit older, so in combination with new american lifestyle we saw an increase in obesity. I suppose that could be considered their fault, but as vegas already said its just the "norm".

Prove to me that it isn't "genetic predispositions for the majority of fatsos", cuz I really don't believe it. It's obviosuly usually a combination of factors, but to say genetics have nothing to do with it is BS. Leah knows whats up:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
11-21-2004, 12:39 AM

As well.... slow metabolism is NOT bullshit!!!

Everyone has different metabolism's. I know my metabolism is much different than that of a 110 lb girl, and that of a 200 lb girl.

Metabolism is a body process, unique to each person. This is also where the weight disorders arise, because certain hormones are not being released, therefore slowing the metabolic process down, therefore not burning as many calories, therefore, gaining weight. its bullshit. in the 80s, there were way less fatties...so by your logic, ppl had faster metabolisms in the 80s. not. its bullshit.

Singel
11-21-2004, 12:45 AM
its bullshit. in the 80s, there were way less fatties...so by your logic, ppl had faster metabolisms in the 80s. not. its bullshit.

Can you think of any lifestyle changes since then? Metabolism slows with age. Baby Boomers were still relatively young and decently fit back then, the highest proportion of the populations' metabolisms slowed, and with the fast food revolution we see more fatties.

It's not that everyone in the worlds' metabolism slowed down, but the largest and most notieable group went through that change. Why do you think we have more fatties now, is it because people are just "weaker" now?

xrayvsn
11-21-2004, 01:02 AM

And some people DO have physical disabilities that make them gain weight/make it next to impossible to lose weight, such as my friend with a thyroid disorder. The thyroid glands do not discrete the right amount of hormone, and therefore their body's metabolism is shot, which is what burns your calories thruout the day.

There is therapy for hypothyroidism that is fairly effective. When you get the supplementary thyroid hormone, most of the symptoms improve, including the weight gain. In fact, teenagers who are hypothyroid will often purposefully take more thyroxine to loose weight - not recommended.

Originally posted by chris
did anybody see supersize me. That one guy that got his stomach made smaller lost some mad weight. I don't think that obesity should be classified as a disease or a disability. That's bullshit

Obesity isn't a disease, its an epidemic. As mentioned previously, we spend a lot of healthcare dollars on preventable diseases. By this I mean, they are related to lifestyle choices, eg alcohol, smoking, obesity.

Knee Surgery
1100 EUR

Obese people are at risk for getting both cardiovascular disease, and osteoarthritis, requiring coronary artery bypass, or a knee/hip arthroplasty. They are at tremendously increased risk for type 2 diabetes, resulting in not only cardiovascular disease, but increased risk of stroke, kidney failure, and peripheral vascular disease. Chances are, these people with type 2 diabetes are unlikely to have operable coronary artery disease, since diabetes affects the vessels diffusely, instead of in one focal area that can be bypassed by surgery. Either way, the ongoing medical therapy is huge.

xrayvsn
11-21-2004, 01:33 AM

Can you think of any lifestyle changes since then? Metabolism slows with age. Baby Boomers were still relatively young and decently fit back then, the highest proportion of the populations' metabolisms slowed, and with the fast food revolution we see more fatties.

It's not that everyone in the worlds' metabolism slowed down, but the largest and most notieable group went through that change. Why do you think we have more fatties now, is it because people are just "weaker" now?

How do you explain the increasing amount of childhood obesity by this logic?

The reason everyone weighs more now than 20 or 30 years ago is simple. We consume more calories now than we did in the past, the majority of which is in the form of refined carbohydrates.

The CDC released a report earlier this year that showed people in the US are eating more than they did in the 70's. Women are consuming (on average) 335 more calories daily than in 1971, while men are consuming 168 calories/day more. In 2000, on average Americans consumed 1,775 pounds of food per person, compared to 1,497 in 1971. All of that is stored as abdominal and subcutaneous fat. So unless there's been a new aspect of aging that causes hyperphagia with a decreased metabolism, I think some of your reasoning is flawed.

The CDC and NIH also tracked the rates of diabetes in Americans between 1990 and 1998. They found a 70% increase in 30 - 39 year olds, 40% increase in 40 - 49 yo, and 31% increase in 50 - 59 year olds. What causes diabetes in a 30 year-old? Obesity is the number 1 risk factor.

fast95pony
11-21-2004, 01:43 AM
I'd like to return to this thread in 10 years and we'll see who's still skinny...

I bet Vegaspunk weighs 300lbs and still works at Dairy Queen...:D

Yes , I'm overweight. Twenty plus years of working 12 hour shifts sat on my ass in an office, eating fast food crap did that.
However , last July I decided to change that.So far I've lost 42 lbs. My goal is to lose 100lbs by next May.

We'll see what a few years in the real world will do to you kids..
;)

BTW , how's the acne ???

:rofl:

Singel
11-21-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

How do you explain the increasing amount of childhood obesity by this logic?

The reason everyone weighs more now than 20 or 30 years ago is simple. We consume more calories now than we did in the past, the majority of which is in the form of refined carbohydrates.

The CDC released a report earlier this year that showed people in the US are eating more than they did in the 70's. Women are consuming (on average) 335 more calories daily than in 1971, while men are consuming 168 calories/day more. In 2000, on average Americans consumed 1,775 pounds of food per person, compared to 1,497 in 1971. All of that is stored as abdominal and subcutaneous fat. So unless there's been a new aspect of aging that causes hyperphagia with a decreased metabolism, I think some of your reasoning is flawed.

The CDC and NIH also tracked the rates of diabetes in Americans between 1990 and 1998. They found a 70% increase in 30 - 39 year olds, 40% increase in 40 - 49 yo, and 31% increase in 50 - 59 year olds. What causes diabetes in a 30 year-old? Obesity is the number 1 risk factor.

Ya, I agree it has more to do with lifestyle changes. I never argued it was all about metabolism, I just defended that it had an impact. Doesn't eating more fastfood and excersizing less slow your metabolism aynway?

googe
11-21-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony
I'd like to return to this thread in 10 years and we'll see who's still skinny...

I bet Vegaspunk weighs 300lbs and still works at Dairy Queen...:D

Yes , I'm overweight. Twenty plus years of working 12 hour shifts sat on my ass in an office, eating fast food crap did that.
However , last July I decided to change that.So far I've lost 42 lbs. My goal is to lose 100lbs by next May.

We'll see what a few years in the real world will do to you kids..
;)

BTW , how's the acne ???

:rofl:

:rofl: :werd:

hyperwhite
11-21-2004, 06:26 AM
i'm a big guy but i've lost 35 pounds, and it feels great. eating to me used to be an addiction. food was like crack. now that i'm older i have more self control. i still snack from time to time but instead of grabing a chocolate bar i'll go for a nutrigrain bar. i have a slow metabolism but if you just keep chipping away at it the weight will come off. all it takes is some self control and alittle exercise.

btw fast95pony, great work :thumbsup:

fast95pony
11-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by hyperwhite

btw fast95pony, great work :thumbsup:

Thanks !!

Good work on your weight loss too ! :thumbsup:

xrayvsn
11-21-2004, 02:44 PM

Ya, I agree it has more to do with lifestyle changes. I never argued it was all about metabolism, I just defended that it had an impact. Doesn't eating more fastfood and excersizing less slow your metabolism aynway?

Sure, the lower your lean body mass percentage is, the slower your overall metabolism. Adipose tissue has little metabolic demand in comparison to muscle. A lower metabolism is more a result of obesity rather than its cause. North Americans just take in more calories than they expend in a day. The excess calories are converted to fat for storage.

For some people, obesity has a medical cause, but they are a very small minority.

vegas2005baby
11-21-2004, 04:05 PM

At one time slavery was the norm. Genocide was the norm in Germany, etc. Go check the cover, and you're seeing fake tits and airbrushing. I'd rather have a fatty on the cover than some fake bitch, so atleast maybe girls can feel good about themselves for once

I"m pretty sure being healthy and not a fatso has always been the norm. and the chicks on the cover of magazines may have had some work done to them, but being a normal weight is alot more healthy then being grossly overweight (ie, a tub of goo)

vegas2005baby
11-21-2004, 04:07 PM

And Vegas, I don't give a flying fuck what the 'norm' is. The girls on the cover of magazines are fake, airbrushed, and have severe eating disorders. I don't think that's a good norm for people to go by.

here, i'll make an assumption aswell, overweight people are fat, ugly, a drain on society, and have servere eating disorders. :thumbsup:

Singel
11-21-2004, 04:55 PM

I"m pretty sure being healthy and not a fatso has always been the norm. and the chicks on the cover of magazines may have had some work done to them, but being a normal weight is alot more healthy then being grossly overweight (ie, a tub of goo)

So annorexic girls on magazine covers are healthier than overweight people? Being a fatso and not healthy is becoming the norm now, not sure what the norm has to do with anything anyways. And i don't see anyone disputing that normal weight is better than being overweight, thanks for stating the obvious

turbo'dGSR
11-21-2004, 05:27 PM
I saw a few 20-ish year olds on Maury the other day weighing in at 5-6-700lbs! pretty insane, nows thats overweight. and nobody does anything, like their moms are crying but they still have tubs of fried chicken and shit like that in the fridge. Yea some people are 'big-boned' and thats just the way they were born, but people who eat garbage food, know what they are doing to themselves.
:drama:

Singel
11-21-2004, 05:30 PM

Sure, the lower your lean body mass percentage is, the slower your overall metabolism. Adipose tissue has little metabolic demand in comparison to muscle. A lower metabolism is more a result of obesity rather than its cause. North Americans just take in more calories than they expend in a day. The excess calories are converted to fat for storage.

So ya, it's a positive feedback system. U eat garbage -> Metabolism slows, Eat some more garbage ->Effects are worse, and metabolism slows more, etc. etc.

A lot of it certainly is there fault, but changing and losing weight isn't as easy as skinny people think, or atleast make it seem

GTS Jeff
11-21-2004, 06:39 PM
A lower metabolism is more a result of obesity rather than its cause. OH SHIT! DR. OWNAGE HAS ARRIVED!

~Leah~
11-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Vegas... there are 3 main eating disorders.

Anorexia nervosa - the individual starves themselves

Bulemia - the individual binges, then brings up the food after consumption

Overeating - the indivdual does not know when enough is enough

The skinny as hell girls on the covers of magazines are just as unhealthy as the overweight people you see elsewhere. I just don't see your logic at all... in fact I don't think you really have any, except to say that you hate fat people. Just because someone isn't skinny as the girls on those covers (me included, I prefer to be able to walk down the street and stay on the ground when a gust of wind comes along) does not mean that they are healthy. There is underweight and overweight, and I think you're forgetting that.

googe
11-21-2004, 11:59 PM
skinny girls dont have to be unhealthy. i know a lot of girls that eat as much as anyone and have no trouble maintaining their figure. some times genetics deals you a good hand, sometimes not so much.

Singel
11-22-2004, 12:07 AM
OH SHIT! DR. OWNAGE HAS ARRIVED!

wow, very intelligent. I didn't say they were all fat because of medical conditions, I just defended them from ignorant idiots like you saying they are all just weak people.

Originally posted by googe
skinny girls dont have to be unhealthy. i know a lot of girls that eat as much as anyone and have no trouble maintaining their figure. some times genetics deals you a good hand, sometimes not so much.

:werd: Unless they thow it up after the meal :D :drama:

vegas2005baby
11-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Vegas... there are 3 main eating disorders.

Anorexia nervosa - the individual starves themselves

Bulemia - the individual binges, then brings up the food after consumption

Overeating - the indivdual does not know when enough is enough

Thanks Tips! Now I think you failed to realize my point, being a normal weight is popular culture, and thats for a reason foo, sure there are people out there with eating disorders, but if your saying any girl who has blessed the cover of a magazine, been on TV, movies, fashion shows, etc has a eating disorder, then sugar, you CRAZY.

All im arguing is that the margority of overweight people did it upon themselves. Getting back to the original idea of this thread, I think these people are weak. Sure you can argue that with the way society works in this day and age, that it has become far easier to become overweight, but thats a weak argument.

GTS Jeff
11-22-2004, 01:46 AM

wow, very intelligent. I didn't say they were all fat because of medical conditions, I just defended them from ignorant idiots like you saying they are all just weak people. singel, u are almost as bad as texas in the "LIVING IN YOUR OWN WORLD" department. u should learn to read before u start calling me ignorant. in my FIRST post in this thread, i specifically said that overweight people are not necessarily weak people, the exact opposite of the words u are trying to put in my mouth.

...there is a small portion of fatties that are genetically predispositioned to being fat. lets not ignore the minority here.

how about an apology?

~Leah~
11-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Vegas, of course everyone wants to be normal weight but like, some people just can't do that. I have to work really hard to maintain just an average weight, and even then, I'm on the upper side of the average scale.

I'm not saying ALL girls on the covers of magazines have eating disorders, but you can bet that the majority of them do. They're celebrities! They get told what to do and when to do it, and that includes eating.

I think you're putting too much blame on overweight people. They were probably raised in an unhealthy way, and it's a habit. And a damn well bad habit to fix. But there are things they can do about it, I can agree with you there. Weak? Yeah they are weak. I'm weak. But I do the best I can, and what they need to do is find a support line to help them out when they're feeling that way. But yeah, they do have to want to change before they can get any help

Melinda
11-22-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm not saying ALL girls on the covers of magazines have eating disorders, but you can bet that the majority of them do. They're celebrities! They get told what to do and when to do it, and that includes eating.

Actually I was watching some celebrity gossip show last week and they were talking about the olsen girl who has anorexia. They mentioned during the broadcast that eating disorders in celebrities is down like 45% from the 90's (I cant remember the exact number, but it was something pretty close to that) So saying that MOST celebrities that have nice bodies also have eating disorders is pretty unfair.

I have been thin my whole life. I've actually had to deal with being too underweight to an unhealthy level and I've had to work my ass off to maintain a healthy weight. Like was already said earlier in the thread, I got dealt a good genetic hand. Like everyone though, I am not always the healthiest eater. Some of my favorite foods are considered "bad and unhealthy" but to be classified into your little "most thin people have eating disorders" is VERY unfair. Your generalizations are pretty offending to me.

Singel
11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
singel, u are almost as bad as texas in the "LIVING IN YOUR OWN WORLD" department. u should learn to read before u start calling me ignorant. in my FIRST post in this thread, i specifically said that overweight people are not necessarily weak people, the exact opposite of the words u are trying to put in my mouth.

It wasn't directed specifically at you, but reading it again I can see how it appeared that way. It must have been Vegas who I'm thinking of, that basically said fat people are weak, they could easily get skinny if they tried. Sure, they are sort of weak people, but everyone's weak in one way or another. I'm just not going to hold it against them, just like I wouldn't want someone to hold my weakness in something against me.

how about an apology?

I'm sorry

:D

~Leah~
11-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Melinda, I never once said most said most thin people have eating disorders. I think you're taking my posts too personally. I'm speaking more along the lines of celebrities anyway. I did not know that the eating disorders among them have gone down so much, that is great

But like I said, I never said most thin people have eating disorders. I used to be INCREDIBLY skinny (I was 5'5/103 lbs in grade 9), but filled out a bit, so I know what its like to be able to eat whatever you want and not gain a pound. I'm also saying that not all overweight people necessarily have eating disorders either. A lot of people favor the underweight side of this scale and thats what bothers me. Some people just cant help it. I have a friend who has been eating REALLY healthy for about 5 years now... goes to the gym 5 days/week and plays on 3 soccer teams... and she is by no means thin. If anything, she's still above average, but people would never think that about her because she is still larger. That's what bothers me about some of the posts in this thread.

Carfanman
11-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by turbo'dGSR
I saw a few 20-ish year olds on Maury the other day weighing in at 5-6-700lbs! pretty insane, nows thats overweight. and nobody does anything, like their moms are crying but they still have tubs of fried chicken and like that in the fridge. Yea some people are 'big-boned' and thats just the way they were born, but people who eat garbage food, know what they are doing to themselves.
:drama:

Yeah I saw a different episode and there was this 2 yr old who weighed 90 pounds and they went to his house and his mom is just makin him food and food and food. tons of sauseges and pasta and all that stuff. He was even eating a donut in the bath! And his moms like "hes my baby, Im not going to tell him no, he wants to eat!" It was disgusting.

I also dont understand how some of you can judge a persons character by how much they like to eat! 2 totally different things!!!

GTS Jeff
11-22-2004, 02:37 PM

It wasn't directed specifically at you, but reading it again I can see how it appeared that way. It must have been Vegas who I'm thinking of, that basically said fat people are weak, they could easily get skinny if they tried. Sure, they are sort of weak people, but everyone's weak in one way or another. I'm just not going to hold it against them, just like I wouldn't want someone to hold my weakness in something against me.

I'm sorry

:D i wouldnt take vegas' opinions too seriously. im pretty sure hes spenser back again

vegas2005baby
11-22-2004, 06:31 PM
this thread was on severly overweight people, these people are just like any addict, weak. I"m certain that there are people who have difficulty loosing weight, or keeping a 'normal' body weight, and I do generally feel sorry for these people, but i also resent them at the same time.

~Leah~
11-22-2004, 06:57 PM
this thread was on severly overweight people, these people are just like any addict, weak. I"m certain that there are people who have difficulty loosing weight, or keeping a 'normal' body weight, and I do generally feel sorry for these people, but i also resent them at the same time.

I dunno man, it's pretty shallow of you to resent people that have difficulty losing weight or keeping a normal weight cuz it's not like they're not trying. I mean, if they're at the point where they're at least trying to lose weight and having difficulty doing that, they deserve credit for effort.

But yeah have fun resenting me, and over half the population. What a waste of time. I really don't understand people like u!

GTS Jeff
11-22-2004, 07:00 PM

I dunno man, it's pretty shallow of you to resent people that have difficulty losing weight or keeping a normal weight cuz it's not like they're not trying. I mean, if they're at the point where they're at least trying to lose weight and having difficulty doing that, they deserve credit for effort.

But yeah have fun resenting me, and over half the population. What a waste of time. I really don't understand people like u! dont fret. spenser is some guy that has been banned from beyond like 8 times now haha.

Chim
11-22-2004, 07:45 PM

If they're trying to be healthy thats cool, as a matter of fact I congradulate them. It takes courage to go to the gym, underweight or overweight, and be surrounded by a lot of people with more intimidating and better bodies. However, I believe the original poster meant severely overweight by 400 lbs people who live at fast food resturants.

Everybody has genetic limitations, but its the people who don't even try that bother me. Do any of you defend the actions of someone who weighs 300+ lbs, is a burden to society, and does not see anything wrong with themselves or bother to change it?

Texas
11-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Jeff... go suck some profs cocks to try and dig some credibility up.. and quit throwing shit behind my back.. grow some balls and say it to my face... or a pm... or in a thread I am actually participating in....you wimpy little bitch.

LUDELVR
11-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Geez, it's simple. Someone stated it already! More people are more obese now a days because....now get this....more people are eating more!! WOW! What a concept!:rolleyes: Seriously, it's not rocket science! Unhealthier eating combined with a higher frequency of eating will yield an overweight person.

And given the fact that many people are eating out more because it's convenient or for whatever reason it may be, they are eating out more and more and the quickest most easiest food they choose is fast food!

As for the Asian culture comment, yes, I agree with that. Asians do eat a much different array of food and snacks and yes there are many smaller, thinner asians, but from what I've gathered from speaking with many Koreans who have been here their entire lives, many of the children are more overweight, and guess why? It's because of all the American fast food chains that are opening up and their change in snacks. Many carbed snacks and less fitness!

Anyway, I think it's naive to place the majority of the blame on "that's how genetics work" or "mental disorders blah blah blah"

Really, that does have an affect but to blame it entirely on that, come one. Cut the naivetee!! There are many things that contribute to obeseity and the major ones are over eating and lack of exercise. But again, it's up to the individual to do something about it. If a person lets him or herself slide, than really, who's to blame? Society, for providing such tasty and convenient snacks?:rolleyes:

I mean, look at fast95pony, he admits that he's overweight but he's doing something about it! Good for you by the way Al, that's awsome that you've changed your eating habits and lifestyle! I mean it only makes sense right? Great work man! :thumbsup:

Carfanman
11-22-2004, 09:38 PM
But yeah have fun resenting me,

You dont look fat. I mean Your pic is only of your face but still, fat people have chubby faces but you dont. Are you sure that by fat you dont mean not as underweight as youd like to be. Thats what most chks mean.

BTW Im j/k.

cboyspimp
11-23-2004, 12:27 AM

ahaha i bet you would.. why are you so offended are you a fat chick?l. i didnt think so.

fast95pony
11-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

I mean, look at fast95pony, he admits that he's overweight but he's doing something about it! Good for you by the way Al, that's awsome that you've changed your eating habits and lifestyle! I mean it only makes sense right? Great work man! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the props, sir !! :thumbsup:

Fast food and laziness was my downfall . Now I eat better and exercise. I feel better about myself and have way more energy.
It just takes a little willpower. :)

Alan

LUDELVR
11-23-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony

Thanks for the props, sir !! :thumbsup:

Fast food and laziness was my downfall . Now I eat better and exercise. I feel better about myself and have way more energy.
It just takes a little willpower. :)

Alan

That's exactly what I'm talking about man! I guess you decided to put half the amount of energy into your workouts that you put into working on your car!! ;) ;) hahahahah No wonder it's paying off!

But yah, laziness and the fact that there is a fast food joint at virtually every corner doesn't help the escalating number of overweight people. It's just so damn hard to eat right when there are chinese buffets and all you can eat sushi everywhere!! Oh man, I need a fix! DAMN IT!!! I want good decent "western" chinese food! It sucks down here!!

~Leah~
11-23-2004, 01:33 AM
No, I'm not fat but I'm not thin by any means... but I'm on the upper side of average and it takes a lot to maintain that.

Importz
11-23-2004, 02:04 AM
No, I'm not fat but I'm not thin by any means... but I'm on the upper side of average and it takes a lot to maintain that.

let c

vegas2005baby
11-23-2004, 02:47 AM

But yeah have fun resenting me, and over half the population. What a waste of time. I really don't understand people like u!

ofcourse they deserve credit for the effort. but what I"m saying is I guarentee you these people will feel better about themselves once they are back to a normal weight (even at the top end of what a normal weight is) so if these people don't have enough desire to loose weight, then someone should (me) so I resent them.

cboyspimp
11-23-2004, 04:00 PM
upper side of average lol.. now whos talking like thier a gift?
its ok we can both be 'gifts' to the oppisite sex!:rofl:

Carfanman
11-23-2004, 05:50 PM
cboyspimp wants ~Leah~ badly.