PDA

View Full Version : Massages vs. Chiropractor

hockeybronx
11-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Hey Playa...

Anybody have any experiences they want to share regarding either massages or chiropractic work?

Side effects also. I know massages have no major side effects but what about going to a chiropractor? Is it worth it to be re-alligned? What time frame do you need to go for? Once, one month, or forever.

I've just been wondering if it's worth it. So if you have first hand experience post it up!

TrevorK
11-18-2004, 10:35 AM
I go to a chiropractor because of back issues.

A chiro is completely different than a massage - the chiro will manipulate your body to put it back into shape. A message isn't going to fix a misaligned spine - it's just going to relax the muscles (Relaxing the muscles relieves the tension, which relieves the pain).

A chiro will re-align the bones, which will break up the scar tissue. I can see a total difference in myself (But I have a problem to begin with) - even with the treatments, they go very quickly now to get realigned because the scar tissue isn't as dense.

Is chiro for everyone? No.

Would it hurt to go on a regular basis (To a good one)? No

Costs me $15/visit.

MerfBall
11-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Chiropractic adjusments are blind manipulation of your spine, there is a lawsuit going on in ontario against some Chiropractors which I'm not sure has been settled yet.

It does help, but most chiropractic offices you have to sign a waiver now (because of lawsuits). Which is enough reason imho not to go.

I've done, found it helps, but stopped altogether. The risk vs. benefit wasn't worth it to me. If you do do it, I'd recommend avoiding neck manipulations as much as possible.

JeremyD
11-18-2004, 10:52 AM
My chiro would argue that it *IS* for everyone. Being that your Spine is connected to, and affects the function of everything in your body. Think of it like the electrical system in your car. If the wiring it faulty the car will not perform as it should.

I found it to be beneficial. I do have back problems tho. I went for several years and stopped for awhile and noticed a decline in overall health and mental capabilities. Since going back I have noticed a difference. Although my chiropractor is also understands nutrition and encourages a healthy diet.

It does depend on the chiropractor that you goto as well. There are 2 types. One that believes it is a path to healthier living (preventative approach) and one that treats it like a form of physio therapy (reactive approach). Which you want to goto depends on what sort of problems you have and what your attitude is towards a more holistic healing methods.

I actually trust my chiro more than my GP. She seems to have a greater knowledge of overall health and wellness and how to stay healthy.

Chiro fees are usually 15 bucks. If you are a student they can be less. Depends on the chiropractor. However that 15 bucks is subsidized by Alberta health care. If you exceed 200 bucks a year you will end up paying the full 28 a visit.

spike98
11-18-2004, 11:09 AM
IMO chiros are crooks. Thats why alberta heathcare doesn't reconize them as treatment for medical conditions. Go with physio instead. You will get much better results.

kiwi
11-18-2004, 11:10 AM
What's the difference between physio therapy & chiropractics?

sexualbanana
11-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by kiwi

In my experience, physio works the muscles that need the strength. Whereas Chiro is more about alignment if the joints themselves.

MerfBall
11-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by kiwi

Physio is treatment to restore strength, endurance, movement and physical abilities affected by injury, disease or disability.

Chiropractic is blind manipulation of the spine.

BloNdie
11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
can anyone reccommend a good chiropractor? that they have had good experiences with?

bspot
11-18-2004, 01:42 PM
One time I went in for a massage and she asked what I'd like done. I said "the works" and boy was I suprised.

:rofl:

hexified
11-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by bspot
One time I went in for a massage and she asked what I'd like done. I said "the works" and boy was I suprised.

but was that a professional...or your g/f?

2.0turbo
11-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Rub and Tug all the way.

FiveFreshFish
11-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by BloNdie
can anyone reccommend a good chiropractor? that they have had good experiences with?

Dr. David Lawson
Suite 310, 840 - 7 Ave S.W.
262-1121
www.calgarychiropractic.com

A coworker recommended him to me when she got her whiplash taken care of. I had strain in my neck fixed by this guy.

TrevorK
11-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

In my experience, physio works the muscles that need the strength. Whereas Chiro is more about alignment if the joints themselves.

Exactly.

Sometimes you need both - Physio isn't going to help if you're out of alignment, because one side will always be stronger than the other.

Majestic12
11-19-2004, 05:48 PM
My sister's a chiro, so free treatments for me! Yay!

Her style is different though, she only works with the neck and top of the spine, that area, and only with pressure points.

So none of that arm-twisting back-bending stuff you see on TV.

It's sweet, she fixes headaches in 20 seconds. :D

mo_virgin
11-22-2004, 01:12 AM
My Sister is a Chiropractor too. There is alot of bad press about chiropractors, some of it is justified, some of it is not. SOme chiropractors have a mentality that they can fix everything and anything through your back with adjustments . Others know that there is a limitation to what they can do. I don't agree with alot of people on this thread talking about "blind adjustments" and "risk" of death. THe risk is minimal and virtually nonexistent. As for "Blind" adjustments that is not correct, chiropracters go through a minimum of 8 years college/university and intense practicum to be able to treat patients, its not a "blind" scam.

All i know is that chiropractors provide good care and relief for back problems.

project240
11-22-2004, 01:30 AM
Went to a chiro once... never again. Makes you stop and think when you sign a waiver before treatment.

I hate the idea of my body being manipulated and bent and joints cracking all for the sake of healing. The majority of doctors will always prescribe physio or massage well before chiro.

Just my 2 cents.

hockeybronx
11-22-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
There is alot of bad press about chiropractors

Hey Playa...

I would definetely have to agree with this, that is why I'm asking people here on Beyond. If I searched on the internet I'd have 75% of the results telling me I'll die if I go to the chiropractor, 20% of people telling me if I don't go to the chiropractor I'll die, and the other 5% will tell me I will die on the drive over to the office.

ricosuave
11-22-2004, 12:59 PM
ive been using a chiro for over 20 years - the bad press some of them have gotten are really no different than a quack doctor prescribing the wrong pills, or f++king up a surgery or something.

i had a very serious back injury from a rear ender, and chiro helped me all the way through it.

it may not be for all, it depends on what the problem is. you may be in need of a massage, or physical therapy. its similar, but different.

the one i use is:

www.spineguys.com

check it out, let us know what you come up with!

rico

ricosuave
11-22-2004, 01:01 PM
oh, and check out the 'myths' section too.

and another thing, these guys dont twist and crack your arm around your shoulder and stuff like that. they use a 'pressure gun' that knocks the joint or bone back into place in a speed faster than the muscles around it have time to react. thats the problem with the older style hands on guys. they press, or twist, and the body naturally resists it, and its difficult to do.

anyway, read up on the above site.

rico

sputnik
11-22-2004, 01:03 PM
www.chirowatch.com

MerfBall
11-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
As for "Blind" adjustments that is not correct, chiropracters go through a minimum of 8 years college/university and intense practicum to be able to treat patients, its not a "blind" scam.

It is still a blind adjustment, they cannot see the bones or the spine that they are adjusting. They have to feel for it and cannot truly see the results of their adjustments or what they need to adjust.

Refering to blind adjustment really has nothing to do with it being a scam.

ricosuave
11-22-2004, 02:44 PM
and by that logic, mo, a xray or ct scan or ultrasound or cough, or lump can be 'misdiagnosed' by a 'real' doctor as well.

rico

MerfBall
11-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave
and by that logic, mo, a xray or ct scan or ultrasound or cough, or lump can be 'misdiagnosed' by a 'real' doctor as well.

rico

huh?! Aren't x-ray, ct scans, mri, ultrasound etc. creating the pictures that medical doctors need to see to be able to make a proper diagnoses or proceed with a proper plan of action?

ricosuave
11-22-2004, 04:11 PM
sure, no ones saying that they dont help, its just that regular doctors can be 'wrong' even without that type of picture...

rico

Maverik
11-25-2004, 07:29 PM
I have never been the chiropractor, but my first appointment is on Saturday. I have heard a lot of good things about them. A friend of mine is scared to death though because one snapped a little boys spine. I think it could be beneficial though, its suppose to help with sleeping problems and shit, and hey through work i don't pay for a damn thing so it cannot hurt to try it out.

hockeybronx
11-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Maverik
I have never been the chiropractor, but my first appointment is on Saturday. I have heard a lot of good things about them. A friend of mine is scared to death though because one snapped a little boys spine. I think it could be beneficial though, its suppose to help with sleeping problems and shit, and hey through work i don't pay for a damn thing so it cannot hurt to try it out.

Hey Playa...

Awesome man, be sure to come here and keep me posted on how it went okay?

xrayvsn
11-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall

huh?! Aren't x-ray, ct scans, mri, ultrasound etc. creating the pictures that medical doctors need to see to be able to make a proper diagnoses or proceed with a proper plan of action?

Medical imaging is complicated. Disease processes can alter the normal anatomy, and this is what we look for when interpreting these studies. However, there is a wide range of "normal", and many diseases have similar appearances. That said, the people who are trained to read these (radiologists), spend at least 5 years after medical school to be able to interpret the studies. In the end, the report they produce is based on their interpretation, and radiologists are not always right - just like any doctor/chiro/physion etc can misdiagnose things.

As far as the bad press chiropractors get, I think most of it is related to cervical manipulation, and spinal manipulation in children. There is a small but not insignificant risk of dissecting the vertebral artery with neck manipulation. If this happens, the result can be a stroke. While strokes are all bad, a vertebral dissection can cause a stroke in what is known as the posterior circulation - which includes your cerebellum (necessary for balance and coordination), and more importantly, your brainstem - which controls your body's basic functions like breathing, cardiac activity, etc. I have personally seen the results of a vertebral artery dissection, and it isn't good. I would not ever have a neck manipulation done, ever.

Not to say that traditional medicine is the only way, since medical errors cause so many deaths and unnecessary injuries to patients. I just personally wouldn't want to undergo a procedure that can potentially cause more harm than good.

Manipulation of the thoracic and lumbar spine do not have the same risks, since the vertebral arteries are only present in the cervical spine. I've had my lumbar/thoracic spine manipulated by a chiropractor when I was younger, but I haven't been to one for a long time, though it may do me some good now to get my spine adjusted, since I'm getting so old. LOL.

frozenrice
11-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by spike98
IMO chiros are crooks. Thats why alberta heathcare doesn't reconize them as treatment for medical conditions. Go with physio instead. You will get much better results.

I totally agree. I was going to a chiro for a number of years- about once every 6 weeks because the pain kept coming back. I finally got fed up and talked to my regular doctor who recommended physio. It took about 3 sessions with physio and I haven't had any back problems for about 3 years now.

Rockski
11-28-2004, 02:03 PM
ive been going to a chiropractor for 4 years and everytime i come out of the office i feel more relaxed and i have greater mobility.

last time i went i was having a problem with my knee where i couldnt resist about 10 lbs of pressure, chiro worked my knee and i had greater strenght in it then before.

i would definatly reccomend going to a chiropractor before physio any day, plus the chiropractor can crack some of those hard to reach bones like your atlas.

puhla
05-26-2009, 05:04 PM
To all those who state that they wouldnt see a chiropractor because signing a waiver is a bad sign... ever been to a hospital to have any test done? You will never have a medical procedure done by any health-care professional without signing a waiver.

403Gemini
05-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow now thats a 5 year old bump...

I wonder of hockeybronx ever became a firefighter...

mazdavirgin
05-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by puhla
To all those who state that they wouldnt see a chiropractor because signing a waiver is a bad sign... ever been to a hospital to have any test done? You will never have a medical procedure done by any health-care professional without signing a waiver.

Except the chiropractor is not a health-care professional he is a pseudo science hack. It is just as bad as the damn healing rocks and naturopaths. Nothing but scams to part the fools from their money.

Kona9
05-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by puhla

Excellent work on the 5 yr Bump!

For a story much closer to home. The lady in the link below is the step mother of a good friend of mine.

Extremely sad story. Even with excellent progress to this day, it has kept me from seeing a chiropractor.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2008/06/13/chiro-lawsuit.html