PDA

View Full Version : oxidized roof fixable?

sparkey_12
11-18-2004, 04:01 PM
I am looking to purchase a 93 eagle talon es. its my first car so i need something cheap reliable but something that i can work on as a project. the talon i am looking into buying needs some body work but it has no body rust, except that the car came up from the states, and the roof is oxidizing. it isnt just faded, there is actually some rust coloured spots. besides this, there are a couple dents that need to be taken care of. the kms are fairly high, but i would put a new engine in if the rest of the car is fine. i can get the car or about 2000cdn and i know i am looking at body work, new paint, and maybe a engine swap in the years to come. what i am wondering is can the oxidized roof be repairable?

hockeybronx
11-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Hey Playa...

ANYTHING is repairable, depending on the amount of time you have.

You make is sound so high-tech. Rust is rust. The only way to get it out is to either grind it down to the metal and see if you can get 100% of it out, or else you'll have to cut the rusted spots out and weld new pieces in.

If you are feeling crafty and you have quite a bit of time this is what I would suggest.

- Grind the entire roof (not just the spot) down to the metal.
- using MINIMAL amounts of body filler smooth out any dents or imperfections
- sand the shit out of everything so it's perfectly smooth (believe me no matter how smooth you think it is you can always get it smoother)
- use a quality primer and prime the entire roof
- you will probably have to go to a paint booth to make it look decent, you could either try and match the original color perfectly or you could paint it black to give it a unique look. Both would look good.

As soon as you sand that one piece though, you have a lot of work on your hands.

Good luck!

Fire_chickin
11-26-2004, 05:56 PM
That's definitely the best way to go. The only thing I would add is use a hi-fill primer surfacer. It works great to fill in all the little sand scratches and when you wet-sand it with a fine grit you get a surface that is smooth as glass. Dust the surface with some black spray paint to use as a witness when you wet sand. It shows the low and high spots so you get a better finish. If you have all the supplies it shouldn't take more than a day to get it ready for paint.

If you're getting a good deal on the car I wouldn't let a bit of minor surface rust stop me cause it's a pretty easy fix.

S14maniac
11-27-2004, 02:26 AM
anything is repairable .. but you have to know what you are doing... noone can really tell you what to do on the internet because theres so much more to it... if you live close, i would highly suggest this shop:

Custom Imports
Tino Fortunato Jr aka Spoolin By You
4810 Boston Harbor Road
Olympia, WA 98506
United States

the guy does awsome work and dont charge too much, i know a buddy who got his car done there, it looks amazing...

sparkey_12
11-28-2004, 12:05 AM
alright, thanks alot boys, at least now i kno a bit better what iv gotta do, right now im still skeptical bout the car itself, and lately, iv been very busy with alot of stuff so havent gotten a test drive in yet, but i hae been looking around, and there are a few other talons and what not for a bit more but dont need as much work.. either way ill see what happens, and thanks for helpin me out. lates.