PDA

View Full Version : Minor Problem with my 330Ci

max_boost
11-18-2004, 11:31 PM
This usually occurs when the car hasn't been started in 5hours+. It happens every morning (car sits over night) and every evening when I get off from work (car sits for about 6 hours). And most prevalent when the temperature is a little cooler. After starting up the car, I let it idle for a minute before engaging it in Drive. When it's in drive, the car doesn't move, even when I give it gas, the revs would go up and the car is barely crawing along (sometimes not moving at all). To give you a better idea, it's the equivalent of putting it in neutral and revving it. After about 10 seconds in D, you give it gas and the car moves along just fine. Another weird factor is, if I engage it in Steptronic mode and just play with the shifter +/-, the car begins to accelerate sooner than just leaving in Drive.

So what the heck could be the problem? :dunno:

JordanLotoski
11-18-2004, 11:33 PM
call bmw and get it fixxed.,..why worry about it, thats why u buy a new car

t-im
11-18-2004, 11:38 PM
who knows, who cares..since your car is under warranty..bring it in!!....I bring my car in for alllmoost everything because i'm anal and it doesn't cost me anything

bobo83
11-18-2004, 11:47 PM
My parent's had that problem with the X3. All BMW did was send the tranny module away for an update. After they did that, it was all good. But they did have the same problem. Call me if you want more info Sam.

max_boost
11-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by bobo83
My parent's had that problem with the X3. All BMW did was send the tranny module away for an update. After they did that, it was all good. But they did have the same problem. Call me if you want more info Sam. Ok thanks bobo!

That's the type of info I was looking for prior to contacting BMW.

How long did the process take? Were your parents without a car? Or was a loaner offered?

roopi
11-19-2004, 12:06 AM
When I had my LS I had a very similar problem. Lincoln just reprogrammed something (can't remember the name) and it was all good.

DefektiveVibe
11-19-2004, 12:30 AM
yah most likely a tranny problem if you still have warranty take it in cuz a tranny could get costly

atomic
11-19-2004, 01:00 AM
don't they have electronic throttles? if it's not the transmission, maybe it's a sensor that needs to warm up (o2?) before the computer lets you drive the motor too hard? heh, but i'd still bring it in to have it checked :)

Fluidic
11-19-2004, 01:55 AM
My bet is the transmission software. The Drive-By-Wire system wouldn't really create this kind of issue.

Warranty time my man -- simple, cheap and when dealing with BMW; quite quick. :)

bobo83
11-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ok thanks bobo!

That's the type of info I was looking for prior to contacting BMW.

How long did the process take? Were your parents without a car? Or was a loaner offered?

I think it took only a few days. If you go to the Gallery, ask for James and meantion mine or my brother's name and then you'll get prompt service, possibly even a loaner too!

G
11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
This usually occurs when the car hasn't been started in 5hours+. It happens every morning (car sits over night) and every evening when I get off from work (car sits for about 6 hours). And most prevalent when the temperature is a little cooler. After starting up the car, I let it idle for a minute before engaging it in Drive. When it's in drive, the car doesn't move, even when I give it gas, the revs would go up and the car is barely crawing along (sometimes not moving at all). To give you a better idea, it's the equivalent of putting it in neutral and revving it. After about 10 seconds in D, you give it gas and the car moves along just fine. Another weird factor is, if I engage it in Steptronic mode and just play with the shifter +/-, the car begins to accelerate sooner than just leaving in Drive.

So what the heck could be the problem? :dunno:

There has already been two software upgrades for the 330ci. You should go get it flashed it shouldn't take that long. Mine had a rough idle on hot days and the upgrade seems to have fixed it for now.

bol
11-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic

Warranty time my man -- simple, cheap and when dealing with BMW; quite quick. :)

:rofl: I love BMW's and even I find that funny!

max_boost
11-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by G

There has already been two software upgrades for the 330ci. You should go get it flashed it shouldn't take that long. Mine had a rough idle on hot days and the upgrade seems to have fixed it for now. Talk about being out of the loop, I had no idea!

Thanks for the info, I'll schedule something with BMW shortly.