PDA

View Full Version : VW Releases First Official Pics Of New Jetta (MKV)

nismodrifter
11-19-2004, 12:17 AM
VOLKSWAGEN RELEASES FIRST OFFICIAL PHOTOS OF ALL-NEW JETTA TO ARRIVE EARLY NEXT YEAR

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Volkswagen today released the first official photos of its all-new Jetta, which goes on sale this coming March in the U.S. and Canada.

The Jetta model is Volkswagen’s most popular in the U.S., accounting for about 40 percent of the brand’s overall volume in this market. It is perennially the number-one selling European nameplate sold in the U.S.

The photos released today show a completely redesigned Jetta sedan, and depict the fifth generation of the German automaker’s sedan that first went on sale in 1980 in the U.S.
http://www.tdiclub.com/images/newJetta_Side.jpg
Set to make its worldwide public debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show on January 5, 2005 where its price will also be announced, the new Jetta will be a significant evolution of this Volkswagen model that celebrates its 25th year in the U.S. and Canada in 2005. During that time, it has generated sales of more than 2.2 million units in those markets.

Like its predecessors, the new Jetta will offer a distinct choice in the compact sedan market. The new Jetta has bold dynamic styling and larger dimensions than its predecessor. As always, the Jetta’s styling, technology and European character will attract people who love to drive and desire something different. As expected, this sophisticated Jetta also offers traditional Volkswagen value for the money.

Since the Jetta’s introduction in 1980, this compact, affordable German sports sedan has evolved significantly with each new design. This new Jetta is no exception: it has grown in size from the previous model, while again offering a more advanced level of German engineering and technology that is unique in its competing market segment.

Drivers of the new Jetta will enjoy the model’s first fully independent suspension system that uses a multi-link rear and optimized front axle, a new powerful base engine with a larger displacement of 2.5 liters and five-cylinders generating 150 horsepower (versus a four-cylinder, 2.0-liter, 115 hp engine in the previous model), a new optional six-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic including a special “sport” mode selection.
http://www.tdiclub.com/images/Jetta_front34.jpg

In addition, later in the year, Volkswagen will offer its revolutionary transmission called DSG (TDI only), which is essentially an automated manual transmission system offering the inherent efficiency and economy of a manual with the ease of operation of an automatic. Also among the most impressive new driving advancements are a standard high-tech electro-mechanical steering system, a new technically advanced electronic stability program (ESP), and new-generation ABS all-disc brakes.

The new Jetta’s interior will be roomier than ever with a larger trunk and more legroom and occupant space. As one expects from a modern Volkswagen, the new Jetta will offer a highly refined interior treatment, with a long list of standard comfort and convenience features. Some of the safety features for the new Jetta include front side thorax airbags, Side Curtain Protection (for head) in front and rear, crash-active front headrests, crash-optimized foot pedals that descend upon serious impact, Daytime Running Lights (DRL), three-point safety belts at every position, adjustable headrests for all five occupants, front belt pre-tensioners with load limiters, and safety belts with emergency locking retractors complete this all-new Jetta sedan.

Built for worldwide distribution at Volkswagen’s high-tech production facility in Puebla, Mexico, the Jetta’s assembly process promises to set quality standards for this model segment. Volkswagen AG invested extensively to further advance the modern assembly sequences and technologies at its sole North American site—a facility that according to internal quality audits ranks as one of the Volkswagen Group’s top factories in the world.

http://www.tdiclub.com/images/newJetta_Back.jpg

The new Jetta has a stronger body than its predecessor, recording double-digit improvements in its dynamic and torsional rigidity. This is achieved through the use of more high-strength body panels, world-class design and engineering, and an advanced, highly automated, laser-welding system. The result is a dramatic increase in laser-welded seams--nearly 14 times more than the previous Jetta. The net benefit of this bonding process is a class-leading fit and finish, improved body strength, crash protection, driving dynamics, and reduced interior noise.

This all-new Jetta once again documents Volkswagen’s attention to detail, unique driving dynamics, high-energy looks and quality materials to match and exceed the expectations of the North American customer.

So....opinions guys....I'm not feeling it at all. Front end is ok looking...the rear looks like a Corolla. IMO it lost the "german" look to it...now it looks like everything else on the road :dunno:
I'll pshop one tomorrow and see if I can make it look any better :D

brandon
11-19-2004, 12:18 AM
yuck :barf:

front end is ok but the rest is ugly and those rims need to go

Stratus_Power
11-19-2004, 12:23 AM
i like it!!! ( except for the Rims)
the front reminds me of audi, the back reminds me of the phaeton.

nismodrifter
11-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Heres a lil comparo: Accord, Camry, Jetta, Corolla
http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/pic/cars.jpg

I'll let you decide if they look anything alike or not....

theken
11-19-2004, 12:24 AM
eh undecided

Team_Mclaren
11-19-2004, 12:25 AM
i like it, cept its a little more TL/TSX ish....

the taillights are kinda out of place too.. other than that not all that bad

$tillqls
11-19-2004, 12:28 AM
:barf: :barf: :barf: looks like a corolla

DefektiveVibe
11-19-2004, 12:29 AM
looks better then the new civic
but its starting to look like the corolla in the back

badseed
11-19-2004, 03:22 AM
^ yeah definitely looks better than the new Civic but not by much IMO. I'm not feelin it:barf:

sputnik
11-19-2004, 08:10 AM
not feeling the japanese styling at all

ZorroAMG
11-19-2004, 12:57 PM
BRUTAL. the new VW Corolla...:barf:

Altezza
11-19-2004, 01:22 PM
When spyshots were taken of this vehicle, it was misidentified by some as the next-gen Corolla.

2002civic
11-19-2004, 01:23 PM
fronts decent, back is :barf:

bspot
11-19-2004, 01:33 PM
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/images/smilies/icon_barf.gif:barf:

Terrible

A_3
11-19-2004, 01:58 PM
When I looked at it last night I hated it, but looking at it now it's growing on me. It doesn't hold that sporty edge the last Jetta had but it looks pretty cool... I'll weigh in when I see one in person!

ZorroAMG
11-19-2004, 02:28 PM
it's lost its german tuner look/muscle...what a shame

hash
11-19-2004, 03:37 PM
I think most people will change their opinions once body kits and mods come out for it. I think that front end has a lot of potentional with a little bit of cosmetic work.

Granted, it HAS lost that ''jetta'' look, but cars keep evolving... and design change is inevitable. Somehow, the the lines of the car (the side profile rear half) also look kinda Audi A4'ish in a twisted sorta way... so its not too bad!

benyl
11-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Has it gone up in size? What is with the big overhang in the rear?

FiveFreshFish
11-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Has it gone up in size? What is with the big overhang in the rear?

Yes. I don't like how new car models HAVE to be bigger than the previous generation.

Since the Jetta’s introduction in 1980, this compact, affordable German sports sedan has evolved significantly with each new design. This new Jetta is no exception: it has grown in size from the previous model, while again offering a more advanced level of German engineering and technology that is unique in its competing market segment.

euro_racer
11-19-2004, 05:49 PM
i think it will look better in person like the mk5 gti, but one thing i don't like is that they still ptoduce them in mexico:thumbsdow

turbo'dGSR
11-19-2004, 05:59 PM
it looks kindof 'honda-ish' to me, quite similiar to the accord from the side and front, kindof a TL rear. Guess its hard to do something completely original nowadays!:dunno:

Foreign1
11-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Gay.

energie23
11-19-2004, 06:48 PM
terrible will, never buy it.

boy1_
11-19-2004, 07:21 PM
I wish a car company would come up with something original and yet pleasant to look at. The old Jetta did that, looked awesome, and you knew it was a Jetta. This model gets two thumbs down.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

black j
11-19-2004, 07:53 PM
I love dubs.....but that looks like a Ford FuckAss (sp)

hockeybronx
11-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey Playa...

I don't like it one bit. It looks WAY TOO RICEY!

Its weird because each time Volkswagen has climbed generations the bodys have looked better.

Whoever it is from Asia who is influencing the German Engineers, you should truly go fuck yourself:thumbsdow

Akagi Redsuns
11-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Lose the VW badge and this thing looks very close to the Corolla. The way the headlights are shaped, the hood design, and espcially the rear tail light arrangement. Who is the lazy designer that styled this thing?

Scary to think of what the new Passat will look like......the Camry? :thumbsdow

Fluidic
11-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Sorry to say -- I don't like it at all. :thumbsdow

cycosis
11-19-2004, 10:34 PM
dissapointing rear. fornt is nice anad s soft tough aggressive look. id drive it

CalgaryB5
11-20-2004, 02:15 AM
It was designed by a monkey. Who loves to eat sushi.

snipa_mini85
11-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
it's lost its german tuner look/muscle...what a shame

Agreed, don't like the new jetta at all.... looks like i'll be going after the gti instead

Def_3
11-20-2004, 12:17 PM
:thumbsdow

hockeybronx
11-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by CalgaryB5
It was designed by a monkey. Who loves to eat sushi.

Hey Playa...

Seems to be an accurate enough description.

aZnBlooD
11-22-2004, 02:33 AM
i dont have anything against this...not too bad i guess...

kanjus_paki
11-22-2004, 03:38 AM
not too fond of it rite now, but as usual will be hot in person

Xtrema
11-22-2004, 10:24 AM
That's the dumbest move ever to enlarge the Jetta.

It's suppose to be small and nimble Civic class. Now it's in Passat class. And is Passat gonna grow to the size of crown vics now?

Stupid move VW.

Plus the styling is not distinctive any more. Although I can't vouch for it, VW probably gonna lose the gay crowd too with this one which last gen Jetta serve very well to.

el_fefes
11-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Japan has won the design wars....sad for VW. Oh well there's still MB, BMW, and Audi (hopefully they won't fuck up the A4). Not that I have anything angainst Japanese cars but German cars usually should have more of an elegant/prestigous look.

hockeybronx
11-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by el_fefes
Not that I have anything angainst Japanese cars but German cars usually should have more of an elegant/prestigous look.

Hey Playa...

You might not but I definetely do... it's fine if everybody else wants to buy Japanese cars, but it's disappointing when there is one less alternative for European enthusiasts.

jaysas_63
11-23-2004, 08:25 PM
i don't like this jetta that much .....but then again i really don't like any of the new lower level german cars....back in the mid to late 90's thats were they were at there finest, they had sharp lines, and they were a litte boxy...now they all look fuckin scupulted....like all the new bimmers are shit....the last decent m3 (in terms of looks) was the e36....same with mercedes...i loved the w202 amg modified cars the new ones are definatly not as bad as the bimmers, but have lost that sporty edge, and now look more like family sedans

PH1PH1
11-23-2004, 08:52 PM
the rear end really reminds me of the corolla .. poor dub ..

CKY
11-26-2004, 02:04 AM
front end looks really audi and back end looks really corrolla, not that i hate it or anything