PDA

View Full Version : What can I do about this horrible situation?

ca_redwards
11-19-2004, 03:54 AM
What can I do about this horrible situation?

Several months ago, my wife and I sought to buy a particular large-format print shop. We share a common tax lady with the sellers. The tax lady knows that their business has become "quite a little cash cow" since they had started it 23 years ago. They own their enormous homes, vehicles and all the fun toys with almost no debt. In their business, they've paid cash for almost everything, including one of the two buildings. And although they enjoy a reputation for quality work, they have basically stopped working it. The tax lady would have snapped it up herself, except that she is preoccupied with her own businesses.

Since my wife and I have never bought a business before and the sellers have never sold one, we asked our tax lady to recommend a business broker for us. She suggested her former neighbor, John Kavazanjian, of Shorewood Realtors, to moderate this transaction. He had us sign a dual-agency agreement, stating emphatically that he would represent both us fairly and professionally...

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Since my wife and I have only had experience with residential real estate lending, we had no idea how much time was needed for a business escrow involving an SBA loan. John, the self-proclaimed expert, actually asked us how long we wanted it to be! We had no idea. 30 days? 45 days? We'd only had experience with residential real estate investing. Without informing us that SBA loans typically take six months or more, he drafted a 45-day escrow for us to sign. We did. And we put down $25K...

When my wife and I asked him to recommend a lender, he would not. Naively, we suggested a bank that has done a fair amount of residential lending for us. Only later did we find out how much John pressured (and outright harassed!) their SBA lending department to do the loan quickly. Wisely, they slowed down to check the details. The price was rather low for a large-format printer (the sellers were glad that we wanted to own/operate the business, just as their family had), but ultimately the bank declined due to low sales for the current year (the three years before had been above $1M and growing). But 2004's YTD (at the end of July) was only $490K. The bank suggested that we ask a lower price for the business. John urged us to make an outside agreement with the sellers (keeping it secret from the bank) to "carry back" a private loan for the difference. It made us very uncomfortable that John wanted us to deceive our own bank.

When my wife and I approached the next lender, it became clear that there was a big discrepancy between the sales figures John had prepared and the tax returns that the sellers filed. During that loan application process, our tax lady actually redid the sellers' books, and amended/resubmitted their latest tax return (and they paid a lot more!). During this time, John called us several times daily, pressuring us to collateralize everything, including our primary residence. But this second bank also declined, stating that it would require an enormous effort to replace abandoned customers. And they informed us that SBA loans usually take several months to do. Meanwhile, John harshly criticized our business plan (to which he had contributed nothing) and questioned our creditworthiness (our personal fico scores are 650 and 790) to the sellers.

Nevertheless, I approached a third lender with continued enthusiasm and helpful (large print) ideas for improving the look of the bank itself. However, I warned them that our "dual-agency" broker was a notorious pest who would undoubtedly harass them, if given the chance. We instructed John not to call us more than once a day, and not to raise his voice or repeat himself endlessly when he did. Then he began to pressure us to remove our loan contingency. After we had submitted everything to this bank, we left to enjoy a quiet holiday weekend in the mountains. When we did not return his calls for those three days, John was angry and threatened to "kill the deal." And sure enough, he urged the sellers to issue a 24-hour notice to perform. We reminded him that we'd performed our part, and were just waiting for the bank's decision. Also, we pointed out that the CARS form he used states that at least 48 hours notice must be given. When they expressed doubts about the 2004 sales figures, we recognized that John had indeed killed the deal.

Yet, since John was brought into the deal to represent the sellers and us exclusively, I was somewhat surprised to learn that he now has the sellers' listing for their business. John abandoned us. He is no longer acting as a dual agent. And he set the price higher than what my wife and I had agreed. Apparently, he betrayed our dream for a bigger commission. But what really irks me is how he asked that escrow fees be deducted from our refund...

(physical description removed)

davidI
11-19-2004, 04:03 AM
what kind of answer are you looking for here?

You got screwed by listening to people instead of doing your own research. If you really want to follow up on it contact a lawyer...

I'm not sure if anyone here is really familiar with the laws regarding these sorts of agreements in California since it is a Canadian based forum but the best of luck to you.

Texas
11-19-2004, 04:35 AM
I take it that you are dealing with all of this in Southern California?
-Has any money been paid to John?
-Has any of your money been paid to the seller?

Do you have receipts?

Did you sign a full disclosure agreement with the sellers?
Your contract with John clearly indicates that he is to represent both parties equally and fairly. If you have any records of the calls...details of the conversations...a copy of their previously filed taxes....and a copy of their re-done taxes...I would say you have grounds to either sue or break the contract.

Don't buy the business... the bank is correct....getting customers is not as hard as getting them back. Obviously the business carries a bad name if inside of one year; earnings depreciated by $510,000. That is a disasterous loss and if you are in this position now....I can probably guarantee you do not have adequate planning in place to recover that.

Regarding the Escrow fees... I would pick your battle there...unless it is a considerably high dollar figure....get the fuck out while your testicles are still attached and chalk it up as stupidity.. Go to the library and take out some books on business; learn from them....

I have a bridge for sale too if you are interested....High volume, great view and built to last.

ZorroAMG
11-19-2004, 01:13 PM
If he violated the dual agency agreement, the contract should be null and void, all escrowed deposits should be returned, John should be kicked in the balls, and you should go on your merry way, not join a Canadian, CAR based forum simply to ask real-estate law and procedures questions when even the local experts here could hardly help you :)

Seems to me that you aren't at all business savvy and should pull out of the deal and get a lawyer...they sue a lot in the US..careful!

Carfanman
11-19-2004, 01:25 PM
What I found funny was that he didnt just happen to be a member of this forum and decided to ask our opinion. He registered soley for the purpous of asking this judging from the fact that he just registered and this is his only post...

Texas
11-19-2004, 02:56 PM
yeah...I just threw some basic common sense at him...I mean shit... grab some nuts and get out eh?

Carfanman
11-21-2004, 09:18 PM
I dont believe this. I just went to a completely different forum and the same guy posted with the same sn the same problem. Thats just stupid.

ca_redwards
Member (1 bit)

Question What can I do about this horrible situation?
What can I do about this horrible situation?

Several months ago, we sought to buy a particular large-format print shop. We share a common tax lady with the sellers. The tax lady knows that their business has become "quite a little cash cow" since they had started it 23 years ago. They own their enormous homes, vehicles and all the fun toys with almost no debt. In their business, they've paid cash for almost everything, including one of the two buildings. And although they enjoy a reputation for quality work, they have basically stopped working it. The tax lady would have snapped it up herself, except that she is preoccupied with her own businesses.

Since we have never bought a business before and the sellers have never sold one, we asked our tax lady to recommend a business broker for us. She suggested her former neighbor, John Kavazanjian, of Shorewood Realtors, to moderate this transaction. He had us sign a dual-agency agreement, stating emphatically that he would represent both us fairly and professionally...

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Since we have only had experience with residential real estate lending, we had no idea how much time was needed for a business escrow involving an SBA loan. John, the self-proclaimed expert, actually asked us how long we wanted it to be! We had no idea. 30 days? 45 days? We'd only had experience with residential real estate investing. Without informing us that SBA loans typically take six months or more, he drafted a 45-day escrow for us to sign. We did. And we put down $25K...

When we asked him to recommend a lender, he would not. Naively, we suggested a bank that has done a fair amount of residential lending for us. Only later did we find out how much John pressured (and outright harassed!) their SBA lending department to do the loan quickly. Wisely, they slowed down to check the details. The price was rather low for a large-format printer (the sellers were glad that we wanted to own/operate the business, just as their family had), but ultimately the bank declined due to low sales for the current year (the three years before had been above $1M and growing). But 2004's YTD (at the end of July) was only $490K. The bank suggested that we ask a lower price for the business. John urged us to make an outside agreement with the sellers (keeping it secret from the bank) to "carry back" a private loan for the difference. It made us very uncomfortable that John wanted us to deceive our own bank.

When we approached the next lender, it became clear that there was a big discrepancy between the sales figures John had prepared and the tax returns that the sellers filed. During that loan application process, our tax lady actually redid the sellers' books, and amended/resubmitted their latest tax return (and they paid a lot more!). During this time, John called us several times daily, pressuring us to collateralize everything, including our primary residence. But this second bank also declined, stating that it would require an enormous effort to replace abandoned customers. And they informed us that SBA loans usually take several months to do. Meanwhile, John harshly criticized our business plan (to which he had contributed nothing) and questioned our creditworthiness (our personal fico scores are 650 and 790) to the sellers.

Nevertheless, I approached a third lender with continued enthusiasm and helpful (large print) ideas for improving the look of the bank itself. However, I warned them that our "dual-agency" broker was a notorious pest who would undoubtedly harass them, if given the chance. We instructed John not to call us more than once a day, and not to raise his voice or repeat himself endlessly when he did. Then he began to pressure us to remove our loan contingency. After we had submitted everything to this bank, we left to enjoy a quiet holiday weekend in the mountains. When we did not return his calls for those three days, John was angry and threatened to "kill the deal." And sure enough, he urged the sellers to issue a 24-hour notice to perform. We reminded him that we'd performed our part, and were just waiting for the bank's decision. Also, we pointed out that the CARS form he used states that at least 48 hours notice must be given. When they expressed doubts about the 2004 sales figures, we recognized that John had indeed killed the deal.

Yet, since John was brought into the deal to represent the sellers and us exclusively, I was somewhat surprised to learn that he now has the sellers' listing for their business. John abandoned us. He is no longer acting as a dual agent. And he set the price higher than what we had agreed. Apparently, he betrayed our dream for a bigger commission. But what really irks me is how he asked that escrow fees be deducted from our refund...

Perhaps it is no coincidence that John Kavazanjian looks exactly like Saddam Hussien!

http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=116472

This was just wierd because these are both forums that I use alot and they have nothing to do with eachother and he posted on both.
I wonder how many other forums he posted this on.

turboMiata
11-22-2004, 08:31 PM
someone is on a mission.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=ca%5Fredwards+what+can+i+do+about+situation

crazyning
11-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Maybe he's Nigerian, and he needs your help.

iceburns288
11-22-2004, 09:23 PM
^^:rofl: :rofl:

WINNERonline Gambling Discussion
PC-Clever Computer Forums
John Lyons - Discussion Board
ProgrammingTalk

^^ wtf?

Carfanman
11-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata
someone is on a mission.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=ca%5Fredwards+what+can+i+do+about+situation

Jesus fuking crist!!

WTF?? whats wrong with that url??

vegas2005baby
11-23-2004, 02:59 AM
come on guys, he is kinda smart for posting on all these forums, somewhere out there someone will throw out some good ideas for him. Its what i would do if I had a problem and didn't trust my lawyers and shit, its what forums are for.

ZorroAMG
11-23-2004, 03:42 AM
No, forums are not for trying to gain legal advice from irrelvant sources because you are too much of an idiot to enter into a Real Estate contract and are too cheap to get a lawyer...or at least the ones I belong to aren't..

Carfanman
11-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Now if he only joined real estate forums that'd be different.

ca_redwards
11-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Dear John,

I apologize for the Saddam quip that I included at the bottom of my most sincere "What can I do about this horrible situation?" question. Where I have been able to edit my message, I have removed that reference to your physical description. I will refrain from any such parody, since it dilutes the seriousness of my inquiry.

Obviously, my wife and I expect a full refund of all unspent money from escrow. All expenditures that continue to benefit the sellers should be deemed their sole responsibility. And those expenditures that benefit no one should be split. We should not be charged exclusively for anything. Readers everywhere agree.

The remainder of my message is factual and verifiable. It will remain as is. My intention is to rally an advocate to help secure our refund. It is not to slander.

I must ask you to stop including my wife in this matter. She had nothing to do with it. She only learned about it when you called her demanding an apology and retraction. The decision to compose and distribute my inquiry was strictly my own. Leave her alone.

Thanks for reading.

Carfanman
11-23-2004, 02:13 PM
^^^WTF?????

from google:
Results 1 - 10 of about 89 for ca_redwards what can i do about situation.

ZorroAMG
11-23-2004, 07:05 PM
What an idiot.

ca_redwards
11-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
What an idiot.
Speak for yourself (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ZorroAMG+idiot).

Results 1 - 2 of about 171 for ZorroAMG idiot.

Carfanman
11-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Wow that was the stupidest comback ever. Basically you just searched for every post he ever said the word "idiot" in.
What are you still doing here??
Do you constantly check up on every forum out of the 89 you spamed?

ca_redwards
11-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
Wow that was the stupidest comback ever. Basically you just searched for every post he ever said the word "idiot" in.
What are you still doing here??
Do you constantly check up on every forum out of the 89 you spamed?
The point of my "stupidest comback ever" is that Google reports far more results than are realistic. Just like he didn't say "idiot" 171 times, I did not spam 89 forums. In a couple days, if you Google Carfanman stupidest, you'll see that it is an unreasonably high number.

Carfanman
11-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Yes but I saw alot of different sites on there. even if it wasnt 89 thats still spam.
You dont go all over the net posting problems on random forums that have nothing to do with your problem.