PDA

View Full Version : OEM parts supply.

86max
11-19-2004, 12:26 PM
I've always wondered, will an auto manufacturer ever "run out" of parts if the demand was really high? If there is a high demand for a certain part, and all the warehouses have no more, will the manufacturer actually make more of that part, or is a potential buyer just SOL? I'm also curious how many extra replacement parts are produced for every vehicle. For example, does someone at Ford say "okay, we're going to make 5000 mustangs, so we need 5000 steering wheels, and we'll make an extra 1000 for replacement parts"?

If anyone can provide some insight, it would be appreciated. Thanks

EK 2.0
11-19-2004, 12:53 PM
A LOT of the parts are cross engineered Andy...so parts from an Accord will fit a Lude for example...so running out of parts is something I havent really seen...at least for the cars of our Generation...

Yes, it does get harder and harder to get certain parts...and lil knick-knacks...but the major stuff should always be available...Also...for engine parts, I mean engines have a long running live, in the sens of they are used for lots of model years, so parts should not be an issue for those...and I mean when rebuilding a mill, why not build it up a lil stronger than OEM??...so you can go Aftermarket for those...

But to answer you main questions...for older Pony cars, I have seen Ford/GM/Mopar bring back certain parts for older cars...so I guess it all depends...then you have companies like Year One who manufacture pieces that are just as good if not better than what the Big Three were rolling off the production lines when the cars were new in the 50'-70's so...I am assuming that our Imports, and mainstream rice rockets will fare a similar fate...there will be companies who produce parts fr the more popular makes/models...

86max
11-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks man, good answer. I understand how if there's a large demand for a part, an aftermarket supplier is bound to step in, but I guess it's quite unlikely for the actual manufacturer to reproduce it as you said.

It wouldn't be hard to pull the original blueprints out of a drawer and make it again, or contract out the business lol.

What got me thinking about it was I called a dealership to get some touch up paint, and they said it was discontinued. Now I can easily go get the paint duplicated at any paint shop, but it just scared me a little that stuff was being "cut off" so to say. I guess it's no big deal.

Thanks for the response :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
11-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Glad to have helped ya out man...:D

GTS Jeff
11-19-2004, 06:06 PM
a lot of times the shit is outsourced...honda doesnt make their own bolts nor do they have a sewing company that makes seatbelts....

vegas2005baby
11-20-2004, 03:30 AM
by law, car companies only have to make parts availble for cars for 15 years after they were produced, after that, aftermarket companies take over 100% if the need be. car manufactures have plants were they send all the dies, they also have wherehouses, when the wherehouse gets low of say 1992 jeep grand cherokee wheels, they call up the plant, and they do a run of say 50 wheels, ship them to the wherehouses where they wait to be ordered from dealerships.

knees scrapin'
11-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Every year the manufactures increase prices of new "old" stock parts.

For example: VW Corrado(especially) 92 and older, OEM parts have seen a massive increase overall in price. OEM floor mats went from 45.00 cdn in 1990 to 125.00+ cdn today.:eek:

It is expected. But after a while aftermarket companys take over where the manufacturer left off.
Look at classic cars and now older imports.
There will ALWAYS be parts. It just comes down to how much you are going to pay for them.

86max
11-20-2004, 04:21 PM
So they just jack up the price? haha Poor Coaado owners:nut:

Cool, well thanks for the input.....that put's to rest one of the many things on my mind right now.