PDA

View Full Version : For all you R/C fans.....

CRXguy
06-17-2002, 02:02 PM
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/new/trueno/tru3.jpg
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/new/trueno/tru4.jpg
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/new/trueno/DSCN0065k.jpg
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/new/trueno/DSCN0052k.jpg

www.hpiracing.com

Redlyne_mr2
06-17-2002, 02:03 PM
that is so sweet in so many ways

bol
06-17-2002, 02:03 PM
I still prefer the serpent veteq... god forbid the name

http://www.veteq.com/

T5_X
06-17-2002, 02:30 PM
Sweet!
I've been taking my Nitro sport out every day for the past week. Last night I pulled ~30 donuts in a row :burnout: :D

We should have an R/C meet! Unless someone has an RC10GT or TMAXX, my stadium truck owns off road! http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/nsport/gallery/desktop/nsptrst.jpg

bol
06-17-2002, 02:38 PM
RC10GT = CRAP!

My 1/8 scale .21 powered buggy will own anything offroad... if i ever get it fixed.

legendboy
06-17-2002, 02:40 PM
What exactly are these models and how much to build one? are they gas powered? where in calgary sells them?

Ben
06-17-2002, 02:51 PM
They are pretty pricy, 600 and up, i have seen some in the 1500 range but after aftermarket parts, the price skyrockets...they run on nitro...

T5_X
06-17-2002, 02:51 PM
My 1/8 scale .21 powered buggy will own anything offroad.

Bring it! TRX .15 will own you! :rofl: :bullshit:

What exactly are these models and how much to build one? are they gas powered? where in calgary sells them?

My model is gas powered, it runs off of nitro methane, a high strung fuel that funny cars run off of, pretty much every gas powered model runs off of it, so you'll hear them called "nitro" models.
A few stores in calgary sells them. The big ones are Model Land and PM hobbycraft. Go to Model Land!!!! People at PM are such assholes and I will never support thier business again.

Nitro 1/12 scale models, totally ready to run, usually range from $450-1000. Mine is one of the cheaper ones, cost about 450 bucks to get it running (that was a few years ago) I've invested maybe 250 bucks into since with a few sets of tires, bodies, tune up, gas, replacement parts, and custom starter system.

legendboy
06-17-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/new/trueno/DSCN0065k.jpg

Can I buy this one????

bol
06-17-2002, 02:57 PM
Model land freaks me out. Maybe I just don't like guys with one leg and beards.

Keep in mind that the cost of the kit isn't your only concern. Many don't come with radios or any of the required bits to get going (glow plug heater, starterbox if you need it, things like that)

it's a fun hobby but really pricy ifyou're not careful

my r/c car is pretty freaking beat up. needs a new flywheel and a bunch of other parts. it goes damn fast though(55mph!)

T5_X
06-17-2002, 03:11 PM
Model land freaks me out. Maybe I just don't like guys with one leg and beards.

Hahahaha! Yah, model land isn't great either, but I've had WAY better experiences than with PM. I just can't wait to go back to Vancouver, where I go to this really good place in Richmond. Oh yah, and to any Edmonton people, don't support Hobby Wholesale. They may be the biggest hobby store in the province, but they're assholes too.

my r/c car is pretty freaking beat up. needs a new flywheel and a bunch of other parts. it goes damn fast though(55mph!)

:rofl: You must have REALLY beat on it if you went through a flywheel! I've just gone through the regular stuff - spur gears, glow plug, EZ start gears (got rid of that POS, i start it now with a glow plug igniter and turn the flywheel from my car battery) control arms, lots of little stuff. Gonna need a new lower chassis deck soon, i got a crack in it a while ago, and it's running.
Mods for the summer are probably gonna be a performance exhaust and header. Good thing, stock it sounds like an insane weed whacker :rofl:

bol
06-17-2002, 03:13 PM
well the entire drive train is metal, and when the bearing in the flywheel went, something had to go... so the flywheel wobbled like a mother on the shaft and got ate away. it'll still work, i really just need a new bearing.

the main damage to the car when it hit a brick wall at top speed. entire chasis bent, etc.

i have no money so i can't fix it right now...

2000impreza
06-17-2002, 03:31 PM
1/8 buggies are too much of a pain in the ass to maintain. i use to have one but sold it. 1/10 scale trucks are way more reliable and fun than 1/8 buggies. for offroad i have a hpi nitro mt. We should have a RC meet sometime and compare our RC's :D here are some pics of my collection

http://members.albertacars.net/2000silverimpreza/pic6.jpg
http://members.albertacars.net/2000silverimpreza/pic4.jpg
http://members.albertacars.net/2000silverimpreza/RCpic1.jpg
http://members.albertacars.net/2000silverimpreza/pic9.jpg
here's a pic of my RC car collection. top row is my ofna nitro ob4 and kyosho landmax. bottom row my electric tamiya bug and hpi nitro mt.

T5_X
06-17-2002, 03:35 PM
hey 2000impreza, what's the top speed of your models? My nitro sport is tuned for acceleration right now, so my top speed is probably around 25 mph. With the right tuning and hop-ups though, i could probably get it to 40+

2000impreza
06-17-2002, 03:54 PM
the landmax and nitro ob4 are pretty close. probably top out at 60+mph. i run a futaba pcm radio with fail safe on both these cars cause these things can kill someone if the radio glitched or something.

nitro mt is pretty slow. i just put in a new .15 engine. i think the topspeed is ~20-25mph but fun as hell :angel:

the tamiya electric i think has a top speed of 7mph. i usually drive this thing around the garage or in the house. very fun. hehehe. :bigpimp:

oh yeah, RC is a very addictive and expensive hobby. i had 10 RC cars at one time. then i sold some of them.

Superesc
06-17-2002, 04:04 PM
oh man for that amount of money I should just get a real AE86!!!!!! Those are some sweet kits!!!

D'z Nutz
06-17-2002, 05:00 PM
I was actually thinking about getting a kit this year after I heard how fast these little bitches can go.

I was at West Edmonton Mall last year and happened to go into Kites and Other Delights and they were selling the Tamiya BMW Z3 kit, including gas engine, and your choice of remote (one was the kind that with two knobs and the other kind was the one like a gun but with a wheel on the side). All this for $300. I thought that sounded pretty reasonable, but what do I know?? Was this actually a good deal (for a starter)?

Is this hobby difficult to get started in?

2000impreza
06-17-2002, 05:08 PM
i wouldn't get any RC kits from kites and other delights. such a rip off there. as far as hobby shops go in edmonton the best i would say is hobbywholesale. there are a few good shops around calgary too. forget the names. best starter kits i think are hpi's and don't get RTR(ready to run) kits cause you don't really learn anything. all i can say is with RC cars you get what you pay for.

getting started in nitro cars isn't hard at all. you just have to have time and patients. especially when it comes to tuning nitro engines.

D'z Nutz
06-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Any idea where hobby wholesale is? I'm heading down to edmonton towards the end of the month and might check it out if I get a chance...

How much should I expect to be spending to get started??

2000impreza
06-17-2002, 08:06 PM
hobbywholesale is south side. address 6136-103 street

price depend on what you want to get. check out a few hobby shops around edmonton and calgary before you decide.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
06-17-2002, 11:31 PM
R/C Meet for sure boys
just gotta get a few parts for my RC10GT and im ready to go
(new Tires, new clutch bell and flywheel and a berring for one of my wheels)

T5_X
06-17-2002, 11:51 PM
hahaha, took mine out today and tore through a spur gear! The gear was practically bald by the end of my second tank of gas! I took off the whole exhaust right from the header and found that I was missing a few screws for mounting the engine onto the chassis. :eek: My engine was loose so it shifted the clutch bell, causing it to grind with the spur gear :nut: :banghead: Luckily I had a spare gear I installed when I gave the whole thing a clean off today (don't you hate that about off road cars, they get so fucking grimey!)

Anyone up for an R/C meet this coming saturday?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
06-18-2002, 12:07 AM
i am down for sat just tell me the time and place lets just hope no one is runing on the same Freq my RC10GT is On 75.790Ta

im gonna go and hit up model land in the next couple days and tune up the BEAST

Audi Kid
06-18-2002, 12:16 AM
ill go!! :D

RX-7_TWINTURBO
06-18-2002, 12:16 AM
oh yah you think torn spur gears suck ??
When i first got my car the radio components were faulty
(my car developed a mind of its own)
and i ended up rplacing almost every part on the stupid thing
Rear shock tower
all of the wheel arms
steering servo gears twice
all of the turnbuckles
and the body pin mounts three times
went through alot of wheel berrings too

T5_X
06-18-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
oh yah you think torn spur gears suck ??
When i first got my car the radio components were faulty
(my car developed a mind of its own)
and i ended up rplacing almost every part on the stupid thing
Rear shock tower
all of the wheel arms
steering servo gears twice
all of the turnbuckles
and the body pin mounts three times
went through alot of wheel berrings too

hahaha! Ouch!!! Only thing thats really given me problems on mine are minor driveline components and starter system. It's pretty rare for radio components to be faulty though, in all my days of R/C I've never had any radio problems.

Most unreliable vehicle I had though (still have) is an electric boat. Already gone through 3 motors!

A meet this weekend would be sweet. Anyone know anywhere that the on road and off road guys can have fun? Like a parking lot next to a dusty, flat dry surface with lots of little humps for launching? ;)
My radio frequency won't give you any problems, i believe I'm on 27.255 (blue)

And mike, you gotta give me a shot at that Z3, we'll se if its as fast as you're bragging! If you need batteries, I think i have a couple spare ones here.

2000impreza
06-18-2002, 01:04 AM
i would go but problem is i'm not exactly in calgary at the moment. my RC cars are sitting at my sister's place in calgary and she's in edmonton. haha. maybe next month when i get everything sorted out.

busted spur gear sucks. make sure you put blue locktite on the engine mount screws. i've had that happen to me a couple times too.

just wondering but what kind of fuel do you guys run? i use blue thunder 10% :thumbsup:

T5_X
06-18-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
i would go but problem is i'm not exactly in calgary at the moment. my RC cars are sitting at my sister's place in calgary and she's in edmonton. haha. maybe next month when i get everything sorted out.

busted spur gear sucks. make sure you put blue locktite on the engine mount screws. i've had that happen to me a couple times too.

just wondering but what kind of fuel do you guys run? i use blue thunder 10% :thumbsup:

Damn! I was hoping to see that nitro ob4 in action! Just don't run into me at 60 mph though! That's enough to take your leg off!

I believe the fuel I use is power master or something like that. Comes in a big blue tin.
DO NOT USE that XP stuff that comes from just outside of edmonton (nisku i think) When I got my tune up done in vancouver last summer, my engine was all gummed up, the guy said its because that fuel is crap.

bol
06-18-2002, 01:20 AM
byron 20% here
working good for me here with a few gallons through the engine, piston & sleve still going strong

ranger make sure you're using afterrun oil. it makes a world of difference in keeping the engine clean and even makes starting easier.

T5_X
06-18-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by bol

ranger make sure you're using afterrun oil. it makes a world of difference in keeping the engine clean and even makes starting easier.

yah, I really should try that.
Maybe I should run some z-max through while I'm at it :rofl:

bol
06-18-2002, 01:26 AM
haha z-max

i almost believed that shit when i saw it, then i looked it up
haha good ol mineral oil

damn i want to run my R/C
oh well
at least my friends t-maxx is busted too

Fluidic
06-18-2002, 01:47 AM
See you guys on Saturday!! :D :D

Peter

RX-7_TWINTURBO
06-18-2002, 02:06 AM
i think the rear parking lot at silver city is pretty good for the on road people
i dont know if they still have the dirt mounds out there for the off roaders
i might borrow my buddys TC3 as well and bring that out

bol
06-18-2002, 02:09 AM
man i wonder if I can get my buggy fixed in time... maybe a hack job and canabalize some parts!

RX-7_TWINTURBO
06-18-2002, 02:22 AM
i used to have a old skool gas buggy ofna cobra i think
i was looking for parts for it so i left it at model land
its been like a year so its probably in the trash

bol
06-18-2002, 02:24 AM
this is an ofna buggy too

ultra gtlx or something like that

parts are so hard to find for em... sucks

2000impreza
06-18-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

Damn! I was hoping to see that nitro ob4 in action! Just don't run into me at 60 mph though! That's enough to take your leg off!

I believe the fuel I use is power master or something like that. Comes in a big blue tin.
DO NOT USE that XP stuff that comes from just outside of edmonton (nisku i think) When I got my tune up done in vancouver last summer, my engine was all gummed up, the guy said its because that fuel is crap.

i second that. NEVER use XP. i used XP 10% on my landmax and it screwed up the engine. caused the piston/sleeve to wear out so fast. i don't think they put enough oil in their formula or something cause i could never get the engine tuned with the stuff. oh well. replaced the engine with a ofna p8 plus added a 2speed tranny. haha.

oh yeah, blue thunder fuel makes your piston blue :bigpimp: must be the color in the fuel or something.

OFNA buggies are ok but parts are so damn hard to find. i had a thundertiger mirage and sold it cause the parts were too hard to find.

bol
06-18-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

OFNA buggies are ok but parts are so damn hard to find. i had a thundertiger mirage and sold it cause the parts were too hard to find.

Yeah no one carries the parts short of turnbuckles and such.
I don't want to order and have to pay customs fees and shit
adslfjkaslfkjdsalfj!

T5_X
06-18-2002, 03:55 PM
I have to order basically all my parts except for glow plugs, tires and spur gears! Traxxas isn't very well supported in canada. They have just phenomenal customer support though! I would highly recommend Traxxas to a beginner. I just called toll free when I had problems. Nice polite guys, sent me free parts a couple times. Plus they have an awesome website with a great forum that has all the help you'll ever need.

bol
06-18-2002, 04:06 PM
Traxxas is supported.... as long as its a tmaxx!

T5_X
06-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by bol
Traxxas is supported.... as long as its a tmaxx!

Tmaxx doesn't count! :rofl:

j/k, you're dead right, but all other traxxas stuff: nitro rustler, sport, 4tec, stamepede and all electric gets shafted up here!

I'd love a Tmaxx. 3 channel radio, 2 speed tranny w/ 2 speed reverse, huge rock crawler tires, 4 wheel drive, suspension travel never ends! Only thing that needs to go is that TRX .15 engine
http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/tmaxx/gallery/t5actn.jpg

bol
06-18-2002, 04:22 PM
My friend lance has a T-Maxx. It's pretty sweet for the simple fact that jumps are so easy to take and land.

Slow though...

He's got a tuned pipe and flywheel geared for acceleration so it's decently quick now.

T5_X
06-18-2002, 05:54 PM
check meet forum :)