PDA

View Full Version : Best turbo for b18c1

turbo'dGSR
11-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Need some imput here....ive got a turbo on my gsr that has seen its day. Turbonetics t3/to4E w/ revhardheader, turbosmart35mm wastegate, vortech BOV. rebuilt internals. have been running 14psi and thats all i want. My question is
"Who has a similiar setup and what turbo are you running? Just want to find a good match for my setup, so hopefully it will last me longer the second time around....
thanks!:)

buh_buh
11-20-2004, 04:50 PM
it depends what kind of results you want. Do you want a good spoolup, or better peak power, but less power under the curve?

turbo'dGSR
11-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Well im not completely sure of that yet, thats why I want some opinions on good turbos for GSR's. My peak power is/was at 5400rpm, right around vtech. but i guess the faster the spoolup the better...i dunno! opinions?

rage2
11-20-2004, 05:40 PM
How much power were you making?

turbo'dGSR
11-20-2004, 05:53 PM
300 whp at 14psi dynoed by you rage!

buh_buh
11-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Well if you want a faster spoolup, you'll have to sacrifice top end power. What are the specs of your turbo?

BumpinTalon
11-20-2004, 06:25 PM
you could get a Hahn Racecraft Super 20G. the 16G is probably too small for the numbers you are turning. the 20G and 25G would suit your motor pretty well. They are both smaller then a T3/T04 I believe, but not by much, and they use a T3 housing so they would still bolt up to the mani you have. you could then either bypass your external gate and use the turbo's internal one, or the other way around (that makes more sense). putting a mitsubishi-based turbo on a honda engine might be seen as blasphemy though.
Otherwise, I would say you should just stick with the same turbo you have, just get it rebuilt or get a smaller trim. There are a lotof different T3/T04s out there, and one of them would probably suit your application best because odds are a T3 is too small and a T04 is too big.

rage2
11-20-2004, 06:34 PM
oh haha, that GSR :D.

I'd say move to the smaller .48 a/r exhaust side, that will help spoolup without sacraficing top end too much (for the power you're making anyways).

The other option is to move to a GT series turbo, but that's not really cheap :). The advantage with the GT turbo is you'll get a wider power band, big improvement down low like with the .48 exhaust housing, and not have the drawback of choking up top.

In both cases you'll increase low end power and have a much wider and more usable powerband.

redline
11-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by turbo'dGSR
Well im not completely sure of that yet, thats why I want some opinions on good turbos for GSR's. My peak power is/was at 5400rpm, right around vtech. but i guess the faster the spoolup the better...i dunno! opinions?

HP or torque peak at 5400rpm :eek:

I like t3/60-1 on a b18c, if i ever get another turbo for my car this will be it.

redline
11-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I'd say move to the smaller .48 a/r exhaust side, that will help spoolup without sacraficing top end too much (for the power you're making anyways).

The other option is to move to a GT series turbo, but that's not really cheap :). The advantage with the GT turbo is you'll get a wider power band, big improvement down low like with the .48 exhaust housing, and not have the drawback of choking up top.

In both cases you'll increase low end power and have a much wider and more usable powerband.

I like you idea of the GT turbo but a .48 cause huge power loss on the top end unless you want an autocross car i would stay away.

marq-jt
11-21-2004, 11:38 AM
not to bust in ur thread and dont see why i shold make a new one but

whats the best turbo for a regular stock engine b18b non v-tech???

i heard a 14b from a talon would be best or was it a t26...

can someone please confirm...

jaylo
11-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by marq-jt
not to bust in ur thread and dont see why i shold make a new one but

whats the best turbo for a regular stock engine b18b non v-tech???

i heard a 14b from a talon would be best or was it a t26...

can someone please confirm...

The ones you mentioned are smaller turbos compared to a t3/to4e hybrid.

If you want a good turbo that can spool up quick and give you low-mid end power, I can get you a T28 ball bearing from a Nissan S14 (Turbo specs:

Compressor: T-28, 60 trim 60 mm BCI-1 compressor in T-04B housing

Turbine: T-25, 62 trim 53.8mm 0.64 A/R turbine housing.)

PM me if you are really serious.

rage2
11-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by redline
I like you idea of the GT turbo but a .48 cause huge power loss on the top end unless you want an autocross car i would stay away.
Not at his power level, the .48 is more than enough to flow 300whp.

turbo'dGSR
11-21-2004, 05:21 PM

I would obviously like to keep this as cheap as possible. and Im not necessarily looking for more power or even the same ive been pushing, just want something reasonable.
but.... i could get a GT series with a .48a/r exhaust housing? and this would easily give me my same performance levels? IMO the sooner the spoolup the better, if the topend power isnt sacrificed, thanks for the replies!

Primer_Drift
11-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by turbo'dGSR
Need some imput here....ive got a turbo on my gsr that has seen its day. Turbonetics t3/to4E w/ revhardheader, turbosmart35mm wastegate, vortech BOV. rebuilt internals. have been running 14psi and thats all i want. My question is
"Who has a similiar setup and what turbo are you running? Just want to find a good match for my setup, so hopefully it will last me longer the second time around....
thanks!:)

Best way to size your turbo is using the compressor maps IMO, I did the calculations for my own sizing and was bang on for when it would spool. Determine your Pressure Ratio and go from there. If your motor makes most effiecient power at 5400 rpm, it would make sense to select a turbo that is most effiecient near that rpm also.
That being said, what contributed to your turbo not lasting very long?? I'd be more concerned with fixing that problem than sizing out a new one to only have it not last very long again.

edit:
I calculated your PR to be 2.20 (displacement 1797cc @ 14psi), flow rates of 13 lb/min @ 3000rpm, 23 lb/min @ 5400rpm, 31 lb/min @ 7200rpm.
[Constants used: Atm pressure of 12.9psi absolute, Intercooler pressure drop of 1.5psi, Volumetric effieciency of 0.9, Temp 545°R (545°R degrees Rankine = 29°Celcius IAT)]<-- very conservative constants, possible for better performance depending on your setup.

turbo'dGSR
11-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift

Best way to size your turbo is using the compressor maps IMO, I did the calculations for my own sizing and was bang on for when it would spool. Determine your Pressure Ratio and go from there. If your motor makes most effiecient power at 5400 rpm, it would make sense to select a turbo that is most effiecient near that rpm also.
That being said, what contributed to your turbo not lasting very long?? I'd be more concerned with fixing that problem than sizing out a new one to only have it not last very long again.

How can I do these calculations?
and im getting a full 3" exhaust once i get a new turbo, same exhaust is on my car from when it was N/A...that could be my problem. or possibly an offset BOV...:dunno:

Primer_Drift
11-21-2004, 06:21 PM
^^^ check my edit I have an excel sheet I can send you also if you pm your email addy.

redline
11-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Why is your car making peak power at 5400rpm???

redline
11-22-2004, 08:43 AM

Not at his power level, the .48 is more than enough to flow 300whp.

true you just have to run more boost to do it!, but everyone always wants more...

rage2
11-22-2004, 10:46 AM
true you just have to run more boost to do it!, but everyone always wants more...
haha yea, but really, once you get that wide powerband, it's more addictive (IMO) than peak power.

I think I'm gonna size my turbo down next year and not bother with race gas and high boost. It's on pump gas 95% of the time, so it makes more sense to maximize the pump gas potential than to have an oversized laggy turbo 95% of the time so u can go crazy that 5% of the time.

Just depends on your goals.

redline
11-22-2004, 02:03 PM

haha yea, but really, once you get that wide powerband, it's more addictive (IMO) than peak power.

better get a v8 then...:D

rage2
11-22-2004, 02:33 PM
better get a v8 then...:D
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?p=1635192#post1635192

:D.

redline
11-22-2004, 04:24 PM
:tongue: :clap:

turbo'dGSR
11-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Why is your car making peak power at 5400rpm???

Hit v-tech right before that...v-tech+boost=peak power!

What size turbo are you running in the 944 rage?

rage2
11-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Actually, if I remember right, u were hitting peak BOOST at 5400rpm. Peak HP was like at 8000rpm or something stupid high like that heh.

I'm running a T04E 60 trim 0.70 A/R compressor. Turbine side it's a KKK replica, it's pretty small, somewhere between a .48 and a .63 T3.

turbo'dGSR
11-22-2004, 08:04 PM
riiiiiiight:confused: . im gonna see if i can find those dyno results....aha.

how much power are you pushing with your setup? and how long has it been since you boosted that beast?

redline
11-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Actually, if I remember right, u were hitting peak BOOST at 5400rpm. Peak HP was like at 8000rpm or something stupid high like that heh.

that is better cause if it was peak HP there is something really wrong and he better get a new tuner! :D

rage2
11-23-2004, 10:51 AM
that is better cause if it was peak HP there is something really wrong and he better get a new tuner! :D
Brad @ speedtech did an excellent job on the tune.