PDA

View Full Version : Ebay shopper = Label whore???

jaylo
11-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Story is there's this girl w/c is my gf's close friend. The other day she mentioned to my gf that people call her a label whore because of all her clothes which were bought from EBAY for like 1/3 the price compared to buying it in a store.

Seven jeans, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Fendi, Burberry bags, A|X, Diesel denim, Puma shoes, all the brands she bought from Ebay and she always insists that her shit is 99.9% real.

Whenever my gf buys stuff her friend always goes to Ebay and send my gf links of the item she just recently bought for 1/3 the price or more, which is kind of a piss off.

I know of at least 2 fakes that she has and this was like a year ago, she has a fake LV color purse and a pair of Diesel jeans.

My question is why do people shop at EBAY thinking that their clothes are real and flaunt it like they just spend hundreds on their clothes when they just bought it for cheap. It is proven that 90% or more of the clothing at Ebay is fake, that's why it's cheap.

ehos
11-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Ebay is cheap, NOT because the stuff is '90% fake', but because there is no middlemen, markups etc. Some of that stuff is stolen, out of print etc. Tons of reasons that ebay stuff is less expensive.

The true suckers are the ones that buy Retail. $100 bucks for jeans you can get for $20-30 is about the norm. And most of them are not fakes. Sorry to break it to you. If the ebay'er chick did buy some fake stuff, then it's Cavet Emptor.

Retail punishes people that are in a hurry to buy the latest coolest stuff. The same stuff they sell here in Canada, is sold in US Outlet stores for 50% off (Ie, I bought these cool Shox for 40 bucks new, when they were selling for 2 bills here in Retail stores).

If you still don't believe me Retail is a scam, wait till Boxing day. How can the same shirt/jeans etc be magically 50% less in ONE DAY? :)

Buy from Ebay, some really crazy deals. Buy from Retail, you get it straight away and you're helping the rich get richer :) (That's a good thing).

ehos
11-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Besides who buys name brands anymore? It's all about Walmart.

benyl
11-21-2004, 10:16 AM
I went to the Cole Haan Outlet store last week in LA. I bought a purse for the gf for $40 USD that is normally $200 USD in the store. It wasn't discontinued or irregular either. Ebay is just another "outlet" store as mentioned above. Why pay $200 at holt for something you can buy cheaper somewhere else?

GoChris
11-21-2004, 11:16 AM
man, walmart has some nice stuff, i was surprised, cheap good underwear, yay!:nut:

Khyron
11-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Does she have any Von Dutch stuff? Go to Sport Check and you can too! I can't wait till Walmart starts carrying LV stuff. :rofl:

Buying brands for quality is ok, but when everything has to be what's currently "in" you have a problem. Especially in a year when most of it will be lame.

Khyron

eclipseqt
11-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Friend of mine told me that the the majority of the clothing is real, but certain jewelry is fake because its easy to engrave and produce.

Kamen
11-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Well you gotta check feedback, profiles, etc and read everything carefully...
I mean, if you bought a watch of some guy called ChinaWatchGuy on ebay what are the chances it's NOT going to be fake? :rofl:

wildrice
11-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Does she have any Von Dutch stuff? Go to Sport Check and you can too! I can't wait till Walmart starts carrying LV stuff. :rofl:

Khyron

yup, i went by sport chek the other day, and noticed that they have von dutch now

they had girls bowling bags all over the place, had girls shoes, (the looked exactly like the nike cortex(sp?) and the converse's except with Von dutch plastered on it) and the guys shirts sure didn't look real
there was this one shirt, there musta been 20 on the shelf, and they all said o/s for size
what the hell is o/s???

Originally posted by Kamen
Well you gotta check feedback, profiles, etc and read everything carefully...
I mean, if you bought a watch of some guy called ChinaWatchGuy on ebay what are the chances it's NOT going to be fake? :rofl:
true but, sometimes buyers are unaware that the item they purchased is fake even after they've received the item, so feedback doesn't always work

jaylo
11-21-2004, 12:26 PM
I still believe that Ebay is flooded with fakes. Just do a simple search on clothing, if you really know your stuff you can spot the fakes.

OR it could be this trend:

"I have thought long and hard about this. Its got to be a combination of the following in terms of seller & buyer mindsets:

SELLER
------------------------

1) Seller is unaware that he is selling fakes.

2) Seller is aware he is selling fakes but does not care.

BUYER
------------------------

1) Buyer is unaware he is buying a fake.

2) Buyer is aware he is buying a fake but does not care.

There must always be some combination of those. I mean, look at dress-well-shop-smart, those jeans are so obviously fake but he's a power seller and has 99.1% positives."

If most of Ebay clothing are not fake, then why don't everyone go shop at Ebay instead of going to Holt Renfrew, Underground, etc...?

jaylo
11-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ehos
Ebay is cheap, NOT because the stuff is '90% fake', but because there is no middlemen, markups etc. Some of that stuff is stolen, out of print etc. Tons of reasons that ebay stuff is less expensive.

The true suckers are the ones that buy Retail. $100 bucks for jeans you can get for $20-30 is about the norm. And most of them are not fakes. Sorry to break it to you. If the ebay'er chick did buy some fake stuff, then it's Cavet Emptor.

Retail punishes people that are in a hurry to buy the latest coolest stuff. The same stuff they sell here in Canada, is sold in US Outlet stores for 50% off (Ie, I bought these cool Shox for 40 bucks new, when they were selling for 2 bills here in Retail stores).

If you still don't believe me Retail is a scam, wait till Boxing day. How can the same shirt/jeans etc be magically 50% less in ONE DAY? :)

Buy from Ebay, some really crazy deals. Buy from Retail, you get it straight away and you're helping the rich get richer :) (That's a good thing).

I agree that there's other reasons why Ebay clothing are cheap. But I believe that the main reason is that most of them are fake. Just do a simple search on something and if you know how to spot a fake then you will know most of these links are fake merchandise.

I guess I'm a "sucker" for buying clothing at the stores. I do know that they have a markup but I still believe that it's worth it because it's guaranteed authentic. If you believe that most Ebay clothing are real then that's good for you. That makes most of us here that buy at retail stores "suckers."

Boxing day, I don't agree that most stuff are 50% off, go to Underground on boxing day and if you notice the stuff that are 50% off are last years or past seasons clothings.

sexualbanana
11-21-2004, 12:54 PM

People also buy retail because in my experience with Ebay, things don't come in all sizes. Let's look at my findings during my Ebay phase:

Shoes for example, I found t hat about 90% of the shoes came in size 9. My feet are not size 9, therefore it would be stupid of me to buy them. Instead, I go to a mall and buy the same pair of shoes for $30-50 more. I don't just pay for the convenience. I pay because my feet are small.

Clothing: Again, it comes down to size again. When I would look at clothing on Ebay, a lot of it is in XXL, XXXL, XXXXL. For those that know me, I'm not even remotely close to even L. So instead, I pay retail.

The moral of the story, is that if you are of average size or way above average, Ebay works great in terms of price. But if you're not. Then you'll have to pay extra at retail.

Now here's another arguement.

Ebay is a channel for buyers, where buyers have the power. What does that mean? It means buyers determine the price the product sells for. Ebay products have only one competitive advantage over retail stores, and that is price. Sure you can buy a top of the line camcorder off Ebay for a fraction of what places like Soundsaround and Sony store are selling them for. But then you don't get any of the post-sale services that the manufacturers offer. Services like warranty, repair, install, technical support, etc. For these services, customers are willing to pay a premium for them because customers feel the extra cost is well worth paying for warranty and technical support.
And we also can't forget that there are still many people who don't trust doing transactions over the internet, or that they would prefer to talk to a person, instead of sitting in front of a computer.

So, it's not that retail buyers are suckers. It's because a brick and mortar store, can provide intangible benefits that Ebay sellers cannot.

Toms-SC
11-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by jaylo

I guess I'm a "sucker" for buying clothing at the stores. I do know that they have a markup but I still believe that it's worth it because it's guaranteed authentic.

Boxing day, I don't agree that most stuff are 50% off, go to Underground on boxing day and if you notice the stuff that are 50% off are last years or past seasons clothings.

Do you pirate music?

The thing is with boxing day, SHOP AROUND! I got 4 sweaters, 2 at Bannana Republic and 2 at RW & CO for $80 dollars. I repeated the same thing during the summer clear out where I got 4 Banna Republic golf-t's and short sleve t's for $70! Now talking about jeans, I got a 3 pairs of GAP jeans when they had a 'buy 2 pairs get a 3rd free' deal. If you read the fine writing, they had no limit on how expensive the third pair could be! $100 jeans for free. It's all about being an informed consumer.

Whats with all this hype about brand label clothing? I like dressing well but spending all of my money on clothing is insane, sounds like a lot of people are addicated to their 'in' brand labels.

jaylo
11-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Do you pirate music?

The thing is with boxing day, SHOP AROUND! I got 4 sweaters, 2 at Bannana Republic and 2 at RW & CO for $80 dollars. I repeated the same thing during the summer clear out where I got 4 Banna Republic golf-t's and short sleve t's for $70! Now talking about jeans, I got a 3 pairs of GAP jeans when they had a 'buy 2 pairs get a 3rd free' deal. If you read the fine writing, they had no limit on how expensive the third pair could be! $100 jeans for free. It's all about being an informed consumer.

Whats with all this hype about brand label clothing? I like dressing well but spending all of my money on clothing is insane, sounds like a lot of people are addicated to their 'in' brand labels.

It's just depends of your preference. I used to shop at those stores you mentioned, they are good clothes and I would not mind shopping there if I find one that I like. Reason why I buy or some people buy "in brand labels" is for the quality and preference. Like if I compare my pair or AE jeans to my Diesel jeans, diesel feels more comfortable and the craftsmanship is absolutely good. Sure I paid quadruple the price for the diesel but it's worth it because of its characteristics.

And yes, if downloading songs off the internet is considered pirate music, I'm guilty :tongue:

wildrice
11-21-2004, 02:10 PM

And yes, if downloading songs off the internet is considered pirate music, I'm guilty :tongue:

haha, i think we should arrest this guy
jks, just messing wit ya

REFLUX
11-21-2004, 02:26 PM
I would never buy clothing off EBay...unless I could try the same piece on at a store to make sure it fits.

The cutting & design that each brand/style uses is almost always different
(I.E. Gap sizing is much larger than Benneton)

If you're only buying brand name clothing to strut how much money you have...you're WORSE than a label whore
at least the label whore who buys labels for cheap off EBay knows the value of money more than the above "money whore"

both are bad, label whore is just the lesser of the two

and personally, do people really care what you wear? Talk about having an Imaginary Audience & being Egocentric. IMO it doesn't really matter for everyday clothing, as long as you feel it looks good on you. But if you're doing something where what you wear matters (dress code for office, meetings, business, etc)...spend the money there.
:whocares:

jaylo
11-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by REFLUX

and personally, do people really care what you wear? Talk about having an Imaginary Audience & being Egocentric. IMO it doesn't really matter for everyday clothing, as long as you feel it looks good on you. But if you're doing something where what you wear matters (dress code for office, meetings, business, etc)...spend the money there.

Not everyone is buying expensive clothing just to prove how much money they have. As I've said people look for quality and comfort and you can get these characteristics by spending a little more.

Yeah who cares right? It annoys me when people pretends that they have an imaginary audience and it's so egocentric because they are whoring brand names. I'm not one of them, I have clotes from gap, ae, old navy, etc...

jaylo
11-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by REFLUX
I would never buy clothing off EBay...unless I could try the same piece on at a store to make sure it fits.

The cutting & design that each brand/style uses is almost always different
(I.E. Gap sizing is much larger than Benneton)

If you're only buying brand name clothing to strut how much money you have...you're WORSE than a label whore
at least the label whore who buys labels for cheap off EBay knows the value of money more than the above "money whore"

both are bad, label whore is just the lesser of the two

The problem with this is sometimes they flaunt it like they bought it at a retail price. Like asking the "Where did you get that jeans, they are nice." Replies "Oh I got it from a store in the US"

You will never hear anyone who wears expensive clothing "Oh I got it off Ebay for really cheap"

Weapon_R
11-21-2004, 03:17 PM
EBAY is full of fakes and stolen gear, which is why its so cheap. Truth is, even if I wore a fake pair of diesel jeans off ebay, no one would ever know since they are a great replica :)

ehos
11-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Don't try to rationalize by saying they're more comfortable, better quality, blah blah, but in reality, it's just the name. Levi's Jeans are better than 99% of the jeans out there or the same, yet they sell for 1/3 to 1/4th the price.

People buy brand names for one thing, vanity. The rationalizations just come naturally. I admit I bought some oakleys off ebay because they were less expensive. I'm not paying 500 for some sunglasses that I can get for 80. Ebay is free market at its finest :)

BebeAphrodite
11-21-2004, 03:35 PM
My take on ebay goods is that I'd never buy them.
If you're purchasing brand name goods you're obviously 'flaunting' what you can purchase. This may be a bad term to use but why would you 'flaunt' something if you can't afford it?
I'd rather carry a real wal-mart purse than a fake.
As for other designer goods, most expensive designers make sure that their prices are relatively similar. Designer purses are usually the same price everywhere. My friends have gone over to Europe to purchase purses direct from where they are made and they maybe get under $100 bux off - it's just that they can buy things there that they can't get here.
I'd never get clothes/purses etc off of ebay because you don't know if they really are what they say.
It blows me away to see people paying $600 for a fake of something worth $3000. Why not just take that $600 and buy something real for that $600 because for that price you can still get something really nice.
Fakes suck.

sexualbanana
11-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Don't try to rationalize by saying they're more comfortable, better quality, blah blah, but in reality, it's just the name. Levi's Jeans are better than 99% of the jeans out there or the same, yet they sell for 1/3 to 1/4th the price.

People buy brand names for one thing, vanity. The rationalizations just come naturally. I admit I bought some oakleys off ebay because they were less expensive. I'm not paying 500 for some sunglasses that I can get for 80. Ebay is free market at its finest :)

There are varying levels of quality associated with labels.

For instance Old Navy, The Gap, and Banana Republic are all the same company. Does that mean all the clothes are the same? No. You'll often find the same kind of sweater at all three stores, but the quality levels vary with the store. Old Navy for example, are a low-cost/low-price retailer. So their clothing will more than likely be made of less expensive, less exotic material. Like cotton.

On the other end of the spectrum is Banana Republic. Where they are high-priced goods. You'll find a sweater designed very similarly to the one found in Old Navy, but made of more durable, more comfortable, or more exotic materials. It could even be a mixture of natural and synthetic materials like cotton and lycra.

I feel that there is without a doubt, varying levels of quality associated with brands. Personally, I can't even contemplate buying a $60 pair of jeans let alone a $100 pair. But I do have a couple I 've received as gifts, and they do last longer than my $30-40 jeans from Bluenotes. In case you're wondering, I do the same things in the expensive jeans than I do in the cheap ones.

max_boost
11-21-2004, 03:56 PM
There can be some good deals on Ebay if you look hard enough. I sold Sam's LV Billfold for $150CDN. Retail it is $350CDN and it was new, I think Sam used it once?

Free money for me anyways! hahaha!

Lyndsi

t-im
11-21-2004, 04:41 PM
EBAY is not bad, but you have to look hard and really know what you're doing..i've noticed now even people with super good feedback have fake shit..so it's pretty risky..and i'd rather just go retail..it's much easier and less hassle

and yeap, designer pricing is pretty standardized around the world

and i've seen fake Chanel bags for $600..who would pay that much for a fake Chanel that's gonna be shit quality and people can tell anyways

theken
11-21-2004, 05:26 PM

You will never hear anyone who wears expensive clothing "Oh I got it off Ebay for really cheap"

a guy i work with buys clothes of ebay and proudly presents it, "where did you get that shirt" "ebay man, good shit" :D
who cares if it is fake anyways, people that are buying the stuff from ebay are just trying to look like they spent the money so who really cares, if you wanna actually spend 200 on a tshirt with 4 letters on it go ahead, if someone wants to look like they spent 200 and only spent 30 then who cares, nobody else will know either way.

Shaolin
11-21-2004, 09:53 PM
only things i've bought off ebay are cheap electronics, or housing for cell phones.. I'm thinking about buying some diesel shoes off Ebay.. not sure about the designer clothing.. if it's real cheap and it's designer clothing, I'd buy it.. I'm not a guy that wears clothing with the brand plastered all over them anyways so no one would know.. when people see it, they say "nice shirt".. not "what brand are you wearing? nice shirt by the way."

if it looks good and it's cheap, take it and run.. that's my philosophy anyways.

REFLUX
11-21-2004, 11:43 PM

The problem with this is sometimes they flaunt it like they bought it at a retail price. Like asking the "Where did you get that jeans, they are nice." Replies "Oh I got it from a store in the US"

yeah I agree with you there
I guess some people dont grow up...

aren't women always teling their girlfriends the crazy deal they get for clothes??/

pixil9
11-21-2004, 11:49 PM
who really gives a fuck about brand name clothing. grow up.

vegas2005baby
11-22-2004, 01:02 AM
no shit, you're all snobs for bringing this up. fashion is fucking dumb, its all about style, and someone with style can get there clothes from ebay, walmart, value village, gucci, it don't matter, this person is stylin'

wildrice
11-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by vegas2005baby
no shit, you're all snobs for bringing this up. fashion is fucking dumb, its all about style, and someone with style can get there clothes from ebay, walmart, value village, gucci, it don't matter, this person is stylin'

k, wait, let me get this straight vegas2005baby
ur agreeing with pixil9 that we should all grow up and not go for brand names yet u said in ur own post that someone wearing gucci (A NAME BRAND) is styling???

import_illusion
11-22-2004, 12:15 PM
so even tho it has all the tags and everything like the ones in stores doesnt' mean it's real? i thought they were just probably just irregular..good thing i haven't shopped on ebay yet, i was planning to soon

statick
11-22-2004, 01:14 PM
i agree with what vegas2005 is trying to say (i think), that u can look stylish even without brand nams and labels. but what he's saying is quite misleading as wildrice said.

Shampoo Suicide
11-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Vegas is trying to say that you can't buy style. Its a quality people have. Someone with real style dosen't need to buy the most expensive clothes to look good. People with real style can look good in anything from wal mart clothes to gucci.

Its like that old saying, "Its not what you wear, but HOW you wear it."

wildrice
11-22-2004, 06:39 PM
right, so he's saying that someone wearing clothes from value village can look just as good as if someone were wear gucci????

don't even make that comparison

vegas2005baby
11-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by wildrice
right, so he's saying that someone wearing clothes from value village can look just as good as if someone were wear gucci????

don't even make that comparison

man its not a difficult concept. Maybe you are dumb. I dunno what kind of social situations you hang out in (poor people spending all their money on brand names and then telling them where they got em, and then you get pissed if someone got a better deal on the same clothes as you, even tho they might be fake, and then you try to play off the reason that its dumb to buy fake brand name clothes cause they might be of lesser quality, and not 'feel nice on the skin' when in actuality the real reason is cause you are so dense that you think its all about brands, and that this person has so much free cash now cause they don't spend it all at the mall. and you are jealous) its the clothes that make the man, not the label, dumb ass sit down.

wildrice
11-22-2004, 07:11 PM

man its not a difficult concept. Maybe you are dumb. I dunno what kind of social situations you hang out in (poor people spending all their money on brand names and then telling them where they got em, and then you get pissed if someone got a better deal on the same clothes as you, even tho they might be fake, and then you try to play off the reason that its dumb to buy fake brand name clothes cause they might be of lesser quality, and not 'feel nice on the skin' when in actuality the real reason is cause you are so dense that you think its all about brands, and that this person has so much free cash now cause they don't spend it all at the mall. and you are jealous) its the clothes that make the man, not the label, dumb ass sit down.

Look over what you just said and then tell me who's dumb here.

1) Learn how to speak english and work on your grammar.

a)in that whole paragraph, there are only 4 periods
b)start your sentences with CAPITALS
c)you shouldn't start a sentence with and

2) DID YOU SEE ME WRITE ANYTHING ABOUT ME GETTING MAD AT PEOPLE BUYING FAKES???????
People can go ahead and buy fakes all they want, just don't flaunt it like it's real.

3) Do you actually think a shirt from value village is better quality than say a shirt from Banana Republic/Club monaco/AE etc.??

4) OH YEAH!!! I'm so jealous of someone that buys fakes and has extra money.

vegas2005baby
11-22-2004, 07:29 PM
you understood me didn't you? :rolleyes: by the way mr English school teacher, the word English should be capatilized. It doesn't matter to me, since i know sticking your post into microsoft word doesn't make you any more intelligent

sexualbanana
11-22-2004, 07:33 PM

Punctuation is your friend

vegas2005baby
11-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Punctuation is your friend

Yea, and where is your punctuation? nice one.

wildrice
11-22-2004, 07:47 PM
you understood me didn't you? :rolleyes: by the way mr English school teacher, the word English should be capatilized. It doesn't matter to me, since i know sticking your post into microsoft word doesn't make you any more intelligent

How much more intelligent are you if you need to stick it into microsoft word to check my grammar??

Yea, and where is your punctuation? nice one.

At least he's got capitals.

You missed capitals in your first and your second post .
Even when you're trying to not make errors, you still make them.

It's "Nice one." not "nice one".

wildrice
11-22-2004, 07:49 PM

wildrice
11-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Ne wayz, you know I owned you on the REAL topic of this thread.

All you replied with was criticism of my English.

vegas2005baby
11-23-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by wildrice

Look over what you just said and then tell me who's dumb here.

1) Learn how to speak english and work on your grammar.

a)in that whole paragraph, there are only 4 periods
b)start your sentences with CAPITALS
c)you shouldn't start a sentence with and

2) DID YOU SEE ME WRITE ANYTHING ABOUT ME GETTING MAD AT PEOPLE BUYING FAKES???????
People can go ahead and buy fakes all they want, just don't flaunt it like it's real.

3) Do you actually think a shirt from value village is better quality than say a shirt from Banana Republic/Club monaco/AE etc.??

4) OH YEAH!!! I'm so jealous of someone that buys fakes and has extra money.

relax hoon dog. I gave a situation, and you denied the situation, not the message. pretty simple. by the way, I wasn't trying to have perfect spelling, I already pointed that out. would you like me to repeat it? I was simply replying to posts directed at me.

jaylo
11-23-2004, 09:03 AM

Since when did we become snobs for buying label clothing? Label does not account style, yes you can wear anything you want it just depends on who wears it and how the person carries it. I'd never shop at Value Village though that's used clothing.

Based from my experience, "expensive" clothings do last longer than cheaper ones. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of clothes there that are affordable and quality is great.

Spending more money on clothes does not result to being "snobby" and does not equate social status.

If you buy clothes at walmart and/or value village, then that's good for you. If I don't buy clothes there, then to each his own. What you can afford is none of my business and what I can afford is none of your business.

ex1z7
11-23-2004, 10:15 AM
>_< I think its the style of clothing that actually do justice to the person. I have a shirt from Banana Republic and I didn't think it was anything special, it just fits differently then some other shirts I have, different style of shirt, its tighter around the chest and isn't as long as others etc.

If you're going for a certain look, numerous companies carry the same kinda style. You can get a Calvin Klein style of pants from Levi...

As far as quality - by the time most shirts start getting worn out their faded or ripped from something etc. I bought a shirt from this dress clothing store, my buddy has the exact same shirt minus the sleeves, he paid 120 I paid 40, I ripped the sleeve near the armpit at the stitching, easily fixed, but aside from that mine is in better nick then his...It's how to wear your clothes, how you take care of them, and what you wear them with.

I can wear some Armani suit, but if I slouch - have running shoes, and the pants are wrinkly...even if its Armani I'm still not going to look good.

Wal-Mart doesn't carry alot of varieties of clothing, they have long sleeve shirts, t-shirts, muscle shirts etc. but there are a few types of short sleeved shirts that higher-end places carry that they dont - thats where the difference, IMO, comes from.

Quality does make a difference in make, though, I agree - I think my one banana republic shirt has lasted me the longest out of all my shirts :)

Melinda
11-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
Fakes suck.
I disagree. I've never bought into the whole "OMG this is the new _________ (insert designer label here) I MUST have it!" In fact, I think the only label thing I have ever bought myself are a pair of diesel shoes that I wear for dressing up and for work reasons, not for the "diesel" name.

Fakes are great for people who think a design might be nice but have no desire to spend triple and quadruple digits on a PURSE, just because of the name on the label. I personally think label whoring is a huge attempt at impressing everyone with your money. Who the fuck should care about what kind of purse I carry, if it's real or not and what kind of clothes I wear? Does it make me a bad person or some kinda of trailer trash if I don't have all the newest, coolest, designer label clothing? No. Would wearing designer shit make me super cool and make everyone like me? Nope, not that I would want people liking me for the money I spend on my clothes and the 'name brands' that I wear.

Haha I'm with the Walmart people on here. I dont shop there often but when I shop I do hunt down the sale stuff rather than the full price crap that's just gonna go down in price in 2 weeks anyways. I dunno, people have different priorities with their money and what not, but clothing isn't my priority. If it feels good and looks good and I like it, I dont really care about what people think about it.

Getting back to the topic at hand, if you think having the nice pair of jeans is something you really want/need, and you can get it on ebay for cheaper, go for it. Take some money away from the labels cause the more people that buy the real stuff for full price, the more expected everyone will be to have the "real" stuff in order to fit in the whole fashion scene. I find it really unbelievable how people look down on others because they carry fake bags or wear "fake" jeans. They all serve the same purpose and they all look the same. Friggin totally unreal.

max_boost
11-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

I find it really unbelievable how people look down on others because they carry fake bags or wear &quot;fake&quot; jeans. They all serve the same purpose and they all look the same. Friggin totally unreal.

I completely agree. I hate it how some people think they are better because they can afford name brands. Before some of you say I am a double standard, YES I do buy designer purses, but I don't do it to impress others. I get it for me and even I can agree that some of the prices for some labels are ridiculous.

I have been witness to a lot of snobby situations because of a label.

Example: I was in the store one day and I happened to be carrying one of my designer purses. This girl, who was carrying a fake proclaimed loudly to her friends, "See that girl over there (pointing to me)...hers is fake! Talk about tacky." Umm...OK.

Another occasion:

I was in the SAME store and two asian girls were commenting loudly to eachother how they would never be seen carrying a "fake" Burberry. These types of girls are obviously trend-wagon jumpers and they PISS the hell out of me!

Its NOT cool that some girls as soon as they get their grubby hands on a designer purse adopt a snobby attitude and suddenly become an authority on deciphering what is "fake" and what is "real" and then judging the person's shame/class.

Lyndsi

Shaolin
11-23-2004, 11:08 AM
When I started high school I was all about the brand names.. i didn't want to wear anything else.. my whole household was like that as well.. Mom would get her seasonal LV catalogue sent by LV to us every year and her and my aunt would go nuts looking at what they should buy next.. one christmas I spent 1200 bucks on 2 LV bags (This was in High School, 1200 bucks was a lot of freaken money back then).. one for my mom and one for my sister.. what a waste of money, realized that after I graduated from high school knowing i saved up 2 months in high school so my mom and sister could get a handbag that carries a cell phone and a wallet.. lucky after high school they told me the whole LV/burberry thing is played out like a used thai hooker now.

I have to say though, the collection of LV bags (some of them as old as I am) we have collecting dust in the basement is top quality, they've gone to hell and back and they still look brand new. So in a way it justifies buying them.

Anyways back on topic.. fakes suck to a certain extent.. i found D&G t-shirt that I bought for like 10 bucks.. threw it in the wash and it fell apart.. but for the ones that don't fall apart, what's the difference? Need for affiliation?

I've never shopped at Wal-Mart for clothes.. I just shop at outlet stores lookin for the good deals.

sputnik
11-23-2004, 11:20 AM
I find quite a few dress shirts on eBay. When you can get a brand new (with tags) Zegna for $100 online it beats the $300 locally.

So basically 3 shirts for the price of one. Considering eventually the elbows will wear out on them anyways.

statick
11-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
.. I just shop at outlet stores lookin for the good deals.

:werd: winners rules

Shaolin
11-23-2004, 03:44 PM
since we're talking about Ebay I went and checked out some of their designer clothes.. looks like some pretty good deals, but also noticed some selling at retail price.. I was lookin at the versace shirts.. what the heck is Versace DOLM? is that an old line? maybe Donnatella's? :dunno:

RSeXy
11-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by statick

:werd: winners rules

I've worked there for 2 1/2 years (thank gawd not anymore!!)...once in a blue moon a good deal comes along. IE. I've seen Prada, Coach and Fendi bags there. Other than that, eventhough it is "name brand" the stuff still sucks and when you look at it, whether it be the style or quality, you know why its in an outlet store!

The only thing I purchased there was a pair of grey terry cloth pants for 10 bucks, which I lounge around in and Sam hates with a passion.

Importz
11-23-2004, 07:13 PM

buy what looks good to you!!

Chester
11-23-2004, 07:26 PM
wal-mart 4 lyfe homies:werd: