PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous relays.

frozenrice
11-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Can any body here suggest a place for getting miscellaneous automotive electrical components? I'm looking for a 12v SPST (normally closed) relay. I need this so that I can get my power antenna to lower when I open the trunk. I just installed a spoiler and it looks like I could potentially break the mast because of clearance problems. My plan was to wire the relay so that the power to the antenna switch lead is cut when the trunk light comes on. I checked Radio Crap, but the only relay that they have for automotive is the opposite to what I need.

Strugari
11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Does you antenna lower when you disconnect power to it?
If so you can use an ordinary relay.
Using Pin 87A and Pin 30 are N/C. When triggered it will cut power to pin 30.
Hope this helps:thumbsup:

frozenrice
11-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks. When you say a regular relay with the #87A pin, would the one at Radio Shack have this pin?

FiveFreshFish
11-22-2004, 03:30 PM
NAPA Auto Parts.

I got these "dual 87" Bosch headlight relays for $5.95 each. You should be able to get an NC relay for about the same price.

Tony2
11-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Any local 12v stereo, alarm, remote starter, etc shop will have relays.

T2

benyl
11-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Anyone know where to get the female part that relay would plug into?

FiveFreshFish
11-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Anyone know where to get the female part that relay would plug into?

Princess Auto. Costs something like $1 each.

benyl
11-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks!

frozenrice
11-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I got the relay (Bosch 5 pin like picture above) and wired it. I used the trunk light wiring as the "trigger switch". It works the way that I wanted it to (open trunk-power antenna lowers), but now my trunk light is very dim compared to before I wired it. Any ideas as to why it does this?

Strugari
11-26-2004, 07:07 PM
How exactly did you wire it up.

There should be a trunk pin wire (green/black). I would use this wire to trigger the relay.
Using the light to trigger the relay may cause a draw on the circuit.

FiveFreshFish
11-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
but now my trunk light is very dim compared to before I wired it. Any ideas as to why it does this?

It sounds like you connected your trigger in series with your trunk light positive. In a series circuit, the "pull-in" voltage of the relay coil (about minimum 8 volts in operation) reduces the voltage at the bulb. You want them parallel so the bulb doesn't see any voltage drop.

Try this: connect Pin 85 to the trunk light positive lead and Pin 86 to any good ground. Now your trunk light should see full voltage.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

frozenrice
11-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Try this: connect Pin 85 to the trunk light positive lead and Pin 86 to any good ground. Now your trunk light should see full voltage.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I'm not up on electrical terminolgy but yes I believe I wired it in series. I simply connected the factory harness positive to the #85 pin and then from the #86 pin I wired it back to the positive terminal on the trunk light.

So from what I understand, I can simply leave the wiring at the trunk light as it was and "tap/splice" the #85 pin into the positive wire and then ground the #86 pin? This way the trunk light will work normally and the relay will still do it's job? Mmmmm, I think I see the light now (sorry I couldn't help it!). Thanks for the help. Makes perfect sense now.

FiveFreshFish
11-27-2004, 03:37 AM
^^^ Yes, you understand it correctly. :)