PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Hunting gone bad.

JAYMEZ
11-22-2004, 01:36 AM
BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - A dispute among deer hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted Sunday in a series of shootings that left five people dead and three others injured, officials said.

Jake Hodgkinson, a deputy at the county jail, identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no additional details. Several news organizations in Minneapolis-St. Paul reported the suspect was 36-years-old and from St. Paul.

The incident happened when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County and saw the suspect in one of their tree stands, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

It’s not known who shot first, Zeigle said.

Both men were wounded and one of them radioed back to the cabin. Other hunters responded and were shot, he said. Some of the victims may have shot back at the suspect, Zeigle said.

The suspect was “sniping” at the victims with a SKS assault-style rifle, Zeigle said. He was “chasing after them and killing them,” he said.

The dead included four males, including a teenage boy, and a woman, Zeigle said. The man who radioed for help was not fatally wounded. Some of the victims were shot more than once.

All five were dead when officers arrived, he said.

Authorities found two bodies near each other and the other three were scattered around the area, which is near Town of Meteor in southwestern Sawyer County. Two people who stayed in the cabin emerged safely after the shootings.

The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two other hunters, not knowing the man was being sought in the shootings, helped him find his way out, Zeigle said. When he emerged from the woods, a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back, given to police by a victim, Zeigle said.

The man was out of bullets when they arrested him, Zeigle said.

One of the injured hunters was in critical condition at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Another was listed in serious condition and the third was in fair condition, both at Lakeview Medical Center.

Wisconsin’s statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters. He said the incident was “very upsetting.”

After they got word of a shooting, he and others went to round up the rest of the party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

“When you’re hunting you don’t expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you,” he said. “You have no idea who is coming up to you.”

The incident won’t stop their hunt, he said.

“We’re all old, dyed-in-wool hunters,” he said. “We wouldn’t go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds. We’re not forgetting it.”

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6551094/

Ben
11-22-2004, 01:50 AM
thats fucked up. Seriously...

treg50
11-22-2004, 09:14 AM
That's fucked up? "Sport" hunting is what's more fucked up in the first place. That's barely an activity, lol, it's not sporty at all. Hiking with a gun and shooting animals. That's so fucking retarded, why not just go hiking? Or hike with gun (for protection against bears, wolves, etc.) and NOT killing animals.

Hm, let's see 5 humans relative to the billions of animals ever killed by sport hunting. I don't know why that dude shot them so I'm not justifying his reasoning. BUT the fact that armed, gun-carrying hunters were hunted is awesome.
:thumbsup:

Skylinelover
11-22-2004, 09:16 AM
But how didn't they hit him?

Carfanman
11-22-2004, 10:19 AM
yeah Im with you treg50.
Although I can see the fun in shooting moving targets I cant see the difference betweent shooting man made moving objects and animals.
Maybe I should make a sport called hunter hunting. Hey If Acoording to them its ok to hunt for fun, doesnt matter that the thing you killed has a life and a right to live, then by that logic I have a right to kill the hunters for my fun.

EDIT: No personal offence to any hunters here. I dont neccecarily have a problem with you but I have a big problem with what you do.

86max
11-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Yeah, that's just messed up. All over something so stupid.

sputnik
11-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Carfanman
yeah Im with you treg50.
Although I can see the fun in shooting moving targets I cant see the difference betweent shooting man made moving objects and animals.
Maybe I should make a sport called hunter hunting. Hey If Acoording to them its ok to hunt for fun, doesnt matter that the thing you killed has a life and a right to live, then by that logic I have a right to kill the hunters for my fun.

Are you a vegan? If not, you should be in order to say what you just said.

Carfanman
11-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Are you a vegan? If not, you should be in order to say what you just said.

NO, No Its one thing to do it for food and for an actuall purpuse but for fun??!! fuk that!

sputnik
11-22-2004, 11:47 AM

NO, No Its one thing to do it for food and for an actuall purpuse but for fun??!! fuk that!

Most hunters eat the food they kill.

Ed the SOHC
11-22-2004, 12:02 PM
damn asians....:rolleyes:

Carfanman
11-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Most hunters eat the food they kill.

I Don't think thats the case although Im not an expert.

DUBBED
11-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
damn asians....:rolleyes:

I think it's americans who have the issues, not asians. Oh well, they have to control the population somehow. Sad that people were killed but it's just something that happens in a country where everyone walks around with guns.

Z_Fan
11-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Holy crap! That's nuts. Bwhawhahah - and it's fucking hilarious too!

He goes out and hunts self-aware beings, who are armed and capable of defending themselves. They have the ability to fight back, and they have the ability to kill the other participant. THAT'S SPORT!

And now who said hunting isn't a sport? All you have to do is take away the defenseless animals from the equation, insert self-aware armed nutcases - and suddenly, it is arguably a sport.

Ed the SOHC
11-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

I think it's americans who have the issues, not asians. Oh well, they have to control the population somehow. Sad that people were killed but it's just something that happens in a country where everyone walks around with guns.

I guess you missed the 'rolleyes' -> sarcasm

btw, i'm asian.

sputnik
11-22-2004, 12:50 PM

I Don't think thats the case although Im not an expert.

What do you think they do with the dead animals?

Taxidermy isnt THAT big of a business. Not too mention if it was the case most hunters would have DOZENS of stuffed deer.

DUBBED
11-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

I guess you missed the 'rolleyes' -> sarcasm

btw, i'm asian.

I know I was just making a point, I realized that after I posted. :banghead: