PDA

View Full Version : Church System like a Franchise?

Curious
11-22-2004, 02:36 PM
I was wonderin how the church system works economically wise??? e.g. (Catholics) The Church gets donations, does the church give a percentage to the Vatican Church? Just curious if it works similar to how franchises work...

Singel
11-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Just saw this looking for another old thread to be bumped. Not sure for catholics, some money probably does go to the vatican. In my church, I believe all "profits" after paying operating costs (utilities, equipment, salaries) usually go to charitable foundations to help those less fortunate.

Not 100% sur though, would also be interested to see how it completely works.

Xtrema
11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm no expert on this and I only been to churches (Christian) a few times in my life, but this is my opinions how they work.

It works the same as political parties.

You start a church and start to court members.

Your income will consist of:
- Collections
- Donations
- Charity drives/dinners/events
- Sales of literary materials

As your bases grow, the more income you'll have. And you want your base to be professionals (doctors and lawyers) or businessmen and not poor asses. You can never start a church/temple/mos with poor asses. You can accept them later on once your rich base is covered. In the case of Buddist temples, the best customer would be gullible rich housewives that doesn't work.

While collection is not mandatory but based on my research and understanding, "good" Christians gives 20% of income to their church.

And remember, government don't charge tax on religious institutions I believe. So everything you collect is pure cash.

As for expenses, there'll be services and personnel. There'll be a lot of gullible people will work for free. So you only have to pay the core managing staff. Their wages is probably set by a committee.

Any money left over will be paid to extra services the church will offer. Probably more outreach program to convert more people. Hence increase the Church's power.

As far as I know, Christian churches are all independent so it doesn't work like a franchise. But Catholics might since they do have central governing body.

May be a few religious member here can enlight us on the operations.

There are steady increase of Temples tho in Calgary. And I can say 90% of them are profit based. With a few generates pretty awesome profits. To bad I don't have the moral to make these kind of money.

SikAssR1
11-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I'm no expert on this and I only been to churches (Christian) a few times in my life, but this is my opinions how they work.

- Collections
- Donations

As your bases grow, the more income you'll have. And you want your base to be professionals (doctors and lawyers) or businessmen and not poor asses. You can never start a church/temple/mos with poor asses. You can accept them later on once your rich base is covered. In the case of Buddist temples, the best customer would be gullible rich housewives that doesn't work.

While collection is not mandatory but based on my research and understanding, "good" Christians gives 20% of income to their church.

And remember, government don't charge tax on religious institutions I believe. So everything you collect is pure cash.

As for expenses, there'll be services and personnel. There'll be a lot of gullible people will work for free. So you only have to pay the core managing staff. Their wages is probably set by a committee.

Any money left over will be paid to extra services the church will offer. Probably more outreach program to convert more people. Hence increase the Church's power.

As far as I know, Christian churches are all independent so it doesn't work like a franchise. But Catholics might since they do have central governing body.

There are steady increase of Temples tho in Calgary. And I can say 90% of them are profit based. With a few generates pretty awesome profits. To bad I don't have the moral to make these kind of money.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like the Mormon church.

Superesc
11-29-2004, 12:24 PM
with Protestants, if you are in a denomation you do give some of your funds (according to how many members you have) to the Denomation organization (Alliance/Evangelical Free/United/etc etc)

liquid1010
11-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

- Collections
- Donations

Alot of this is right... alot wrong.

No one HAS to give money, but a private tithe is taken every sunday..... and Christians give 10% of what they make to the Church.

I'm not sure about Catholic Church's, but most Church's spend their money on everyday bills, paying th pastor, and giving money to charities... or other causes. Alot of money tends to go to helping 3rd world countries.

Of all the money that a Church collects during a year, we do not pay tax..... however, the stipulation is that AT LEAST 80% of what you collect must leave the Church in the same year. Church's can't really save money, as it must be put to good use. So for those people that think Church's just sit on piles of cash... they have no idea what they are talking about. The only Church that has massive amounts of cash is the Catholic Church... because they basically make their own rules with the vatican :dunno:

sputnik
11-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Here are my observations within the evangelical protestant (baptist, pentecostal, alliance etc) realm...

Within a church you will have members. These are people that call the church that they attend "home". These are believers that have made a commitment in supporting the work of the church. This is completely VOLUNTARY. As in you dont need to become a member to attend the church. It is merely just a display of commitment. Similar in comparision to marriage vs common-law relationships.

In Christian circles it is general accepted that a believer will give a portion of their income supporting the church. This is the MAJORITY of the churches income. Fundraisers are generally directed to a specific project within the church (new carpet, new drum set etc).

There is really no set percentage in which someone should give, the only real stipulation is that they do it with a cheerful heart.

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

First off, there are a variety of expenses that this giving covers. These are things like the rent or mortgage of the building, various bills (heating, electricity etc) and property taxes.

Then there are salaries for the staff (pastors, custodians and other counsellors etc).

Many churches are sometimes affiliated with a conference or specific denomination. Very often the church will have a portion of their income to go towards the work that the general conference or denomination. This work benefits all of the churches under it. My church for example is a part of the North American Baptist Conference.

Beyond that, churches will often support many external charities and ministries. Our church funds scholarships for aspiring pastors, we support the Mustard Seed and several others.

In the end, it is up to me and the members to decide where the money that comes into the church goes. Every year we have a membership meeting in which the budget for the previous year is discussed and voted on (for approval) for the following year.

hockeybronx
03-30-2005, 12:33 AM
I go to Centre Street Church which is the biggest (size wise and population) in Western Canada, and second biggest size wise in Canada.

Obviously with a multi-million dollar facility like this there is a huge financial structure behind the operation.

Each week the budget of the church is posted, including previous weeks tithing donations, year to date tithing donations, and where the budget stands because of that.

I tithe 10% of my income.

DEREK57
03-30-2005, 03:41 PM
I go to a small church on 16th. And, at least considering my church, this whole "Churches are for profit thing" is really a joke...and cannot apply to a single church I have gone to, but possibly only the Catholic church.

My church runs on donations, they are for the most part anonamous, the only people that see who donates is the accountant, because he has to allocate receipts to them. It is a common belief among Christians that you should give about 10% of your income, but it is really up to the person to give more if they can, and less if they really cant afford it.

As far as spending goes, everyyear everyone in my church is invited to a financial meeting, and there the church must explain where every cent they have spent goes. The spending is usually decided by a council that the parishoneers vote for, but the people always get to see how it is spent. Mostly they spend it on paying the pastor, and accountant, and sometimes a few other paid positions (usually paid less than they would somewhere else), for the Church building, and maitenance, also usually for a denomonational organization which prints literature and such, and then the rest is usually allocated to different charities. Missions organizations, organizations like Samaritans purse, or local organizations like the Mustard seed.

Unless the Church is part of a massive organization with a huge bureaucracy, I dont see how 'profit' can be made.

Ben
03-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Ah Catholisism, one of the worlds largest businesses.

Tyler883
04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Isn't a "tith" synonomous with 10 percent ???

Are churches still preaching tithings or have the re-written their scyptures so that tithings means 20 percent or more?

Mr. Burns
04-01-2005, 03:23 PM
I worship at the church of Mike... they get 100% of my income :D

JAYMEZ
04-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Ah Catholisism, one of the worlds largest businesses.

And probably the richest one at that.

Tyler883
04-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

money...one of the worlds largest religions

DEREK57
04-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
Isn't a "tith" synonomous with 10 percent ???

Are churches still preaching tithings or have the re-written their scyptures so that tithings means 20 percent or more?

:rolleyes: Ya, its 10%. But that the point is to give what you can.

googe
04-01-2005, 11:43 PM
personally i think its kinda shady how snoop dogg's and don juan's showcase of bling is pale in comparison to the pope :dunno:

he could probably feed a 3rd world country if he sold his wardrobe and those heavy gold staffs

Redlyne_mr2
04-02-2005, 12:28 AM
I love the church near my gf's condo. They have a massive lot and tons of room but if you park in their lot they will tag and tow you. I thought Churches were supposed to be generous and open to all?Thats another Thumbs down for Western Religion :thumbsdow .

eb0i
04-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

I always thought the Baptists were the richest out of christians.

DEREK57
04-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I love the church near my gf's condo. They have a massive lot and tons of room but if you park in their lot they will tag and tow you. I thought Churches were supposed to be generous and open to all?Thats another Thumbs down for Western Religion :thumbsdow .

Odd way to judge the religion of a hemisphere. I can understand why you might be upset, churches are supposed to be giving and all, but theyre supposed to give to the needy, that hardly sounds like you are your lack of parking spaces. I mean people still pay for that land like every other peice, and no private organization just lets people use the parking without using the organization...but then again if any should, it should be the church. :dunno:

Tyler883
04-04-2005, 10:13 PM

So, if IMPARK lowers their rates, are you going to start praying to the parking clerk?????

sputnik
04-05-2005, 07:20 AM

What an ignorant comment. If the building with the parking lot was an engineering firm would you put less trust in bridges and buildings? There is a Buddhist temple near downtown and I am sure that if I parked there daily and walked to work that they would ticket and tow me as well.

I hear that churches have lots of chairs that are used only on sunday. I should be able to borrow a bunch for large functions at my house. Dont worry, I will return them for Sunday morning.

AsianCaucasian
04-05-2005, 07:48 AM
What is with all the Catholic bashing in this thread?
It is NOT mandatory for Catholics to tithe 10%, it is COMPLETELY mandatory. Most of it goes to maintaining the actual facilities of the church, the various programs such as youth groups, RCIA programs and a lot of it goes to helping out local charities such as the Mustard Seed. The money that does go to the Vatican is used for international charities.
The Catholic Church is NOT the richest church in the world, hell, in fact it's closer to being the poorest than the richest. The most wealthy churches are those that impose mandatory tithing such as the Mormon Church, which if memory serves me correctly is #1 richest.

thich
04-05-2005, 09:10 AM
the mormon church is probably one of (if not) the richest church organizations in the world.

Tithing is 10%, you're expected to give at least this much if you are earning income and then after that, you can continue to give based on your heart.

I'm not sure where money in the Catholic Churches go, but i'm sure a percent goes to the national branch and a percent goes to the Vatican. The rest prolly goes into building funds. Most Catholic churches are very big and very old, many are stone buildings at that, thus their maintenance costs is pretty high.

I'm protestant and I know a percent of our cash inflows goes to our national denomination, a percent goes to our provincial denomination, we also give to several parachurch organizations for relief work and since we are a Vietnamese church, we also have a North American Vietnamese conference of churches that we pool resources into so we can help with finances in Vietnam. (i'm sure other ethnic churches do the same)
There are other programs that our church holds as well including Vietnamese language program for the 2nd gen kids at our church. A lot of money is also pooled into giving for local parachurch organizations as well and to hold provincial/national conferences.
Other churches fund missionaries and their families who go to Africa, South America, Asia etc etc.

Most churches aren't big churches. If you take into consideration, it is prolly quite opposite - most churches will be 200 ppl or less. (My church started out with 20 ppl)
And realistically, there are likely more churches outside of North America and they are predominantly poorer than the ones we have here.