PDA

View Full Version : Derek's 7 second Small Radial Street Tire run.....

Toma
11-22-2004, 07:15 PM
....was denied by an unfortunate accident.

We kept things quiet to keep the mouthpieces away, but last wednesday, Derek got his car back together with bigger injectors (160's) and a bigger fuel pump. We threw it on the dyno, and I re-tuned the car. With very little effort, the car jammed out 1138 RWHP!!! The big news was at 7500+ rpm wher the car was almost 250 rwhp stronger then ever before.

So, we packed it up Thursday night and headed to the PSCA Finals in Las Vegas.

He ran an EASY 8.22 at 168.96 mph on his first qualifying run. He made the 8.22 pass as a "feeler" pass for the new tires (325/50/15 ET Street Radials). Everything went perfectly.

Being short on time, and with only one qualifying run left, we decided to bring the boost in more agggresively everywhere, and to run 3 psi more across the board. I also added a couple degrees more timing, and upped the 2 step from 4800 to 5000 rpm.

The car launched well, but as the boost came on, the wheels never came down, and actually began to climb. Derek got out of it just slightly, but the front cam crashing down, he lost control, and hit the wall. Later examination showed on the "landing", the car was straight, but hit so hard, it put a hole in coolant hose he had running under the front rad support. Antifreeze musta went under the rear tires, and the car's rear end sidestepped hard.

Derek is fine and in good spirits, and more excited then ever KNOWING the car will go 7's!!!

Sorry about the videos, I suck. But hopefully Larry from HorsepowerHeaven will have some professional ones up in a few days.

Here is the launch from the front http://members.shaw.ca/sophisticated/derekwheelie.jpg
The 8.22 pass Video 8.22 Run (http://members.shaw.ca/sophisticated/derek8.wmv) 1/8th mile mph was 137+mph!!
The "Would be 7 Second pass" Video Wheelie (http://members.shaw.ca/sophisticated/derek7.wmv)
Derek could not believe how hard the car was pulling on this run...

and here is the car "after" playing tag with the wall http://members.shaw.ca/sophisticated/derekcrash.jpg

And Vegas fucking rules!!! What a track. Very professional, they treat you like you SHOULD be treated. Tech was a breeze.

We went to the "Street Legals" Friday night, and made a "low boost" 8.51 pass just minutes after the anouncer was promoting some Supra as "Las Vegas' fastest Street Car" lol. The NICE Supra ran an 8.91 and then blew here up ;)

Get this. Friday night street race (they call it Midnight Mayhem), $10 to race, NO HASSLES, at least 500 cars showed up!!!

GoChris
11-22-2004, 07:19 PM
damn thats too bad about the crash. but holy shit fast car

DefektiveVibe
11-22-2004, 08:01 PM
damn thats fast

what happened in the second video?...

turbo'dGSR
11-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Wow, thats fast, sounds beautiful! too bad about the wall mishap...

Alpine Autowerks
11-22-2004, 08:45 PM
that's awesome

theken
11-22-2004, 09:31 PM
too bad, oh well u guys will fix it in a week or so, no engine damage??

habsfan
11-22-2004, 09:32 PM
shit that sounds evil :devil:
too bad about the crash, but i'm sure all will be forgotten when that 7 second timeslip happens :burnout:

Toma
11-23-2004, 01:52 PM
the second video is when the crash happened.... I put the camera down.

No engine damage.

repairs depend on how bad the car is, and if there is frame damage...

Primer_Drift
11-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Big :thumbsup:! Too bad about the accident, hope everything works out - Time to invest in some good wheelie bars?

PS. Please tune my car :D

THREE40SEVEN
11-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Impressive!:thumbsup:
Do bunyaks do body work too?:D
Good luck gettin her back together!

vegas2005baby
11-23-2004, 06:11 PM
thats bad ass.:D

Texas
11-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Jesus... that thing really came together, good for you guys:thumbsup: Nice to see some Canadian muscle outflexing down in Vegas. Huge congrats Toma and Derek

Toma
11-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Texas
Jesus... that thing really came together, good for you guys:thumbsup: Nice to see some Canadian muscle outflexing down in Vegas. Huge congrats Toma and Derek
Thanks!

BUT, Derek did all the work. I have never seen anyone with such crazy dedication.

I'm just the tune-up guy.