PDA

View Full Version : Hit and run: Would you stop?

g-mcstud
11-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Here is the situation:

You are driving down a road, and you somehow manage to hit a parked car. I don't know how, it doesn't matter. Anyways, would you be honest enough to find the owner or leave a note or something, or would you book it out of there?

I'd be honest and I'd stop for sure. I'd hate to have that happen to my car, and I wouldn't do it to anybody else.

What about you guys?

Sorath
11-22-2004, 10:27 PM
if u didnt, i`d hate u. my back bumper was because of a hit and run situiation, like fuck man, have more responsibility

jaysas_63
11-22-2004, 10:31 PM
yea hit and runs are a huge pain in the ass...my moms SUV got rear ended by something, and there was this massive hole in the rear bumper.....and the asshole diddn't take credit for it

el_fefes
11-22-2004, 10:53 PM
happened to me at market mall...w/ my parents' car too...not even a note :banghead:

3G
11-22-2004, 10:53 PM
If you're ever in a hit-and-run situation, POINTTS can help you out :rolleyes:

markymark
11-22-2004, 11:16 PM
lol hehe im an idiot.
:rofl:

Zero102
11-22-2004, 11:31 PM
^^^

Hmm, and if your friend knew you were telling everybody about this.....

Speaking of this,
I witnessed 4 hit and runs the other day on 20th ave. I can't think of which day it was off hand, but it was last week, when we had the freezing rain. I saw 4 people hit parked cars, and not one of them stopped. I wrote down their plates, the car they hit's plates, and the make/models and the rough address. I went back to leave notes later (I was already late for school), and only found 2 of the cars still there, so I reported the other 2 to the cops.

4 dumb-asses will get what's coming to them.

I hate hit-and-runs. It's happened to all 3 cars I've owned in my life, and I've never gotten a note or anything.

That said, if I hit a car, I'd at least leave a note. I'm sure there are other people in this city like me, and with my luck, if I ran they would find me. It's better to just fess up to it, deal with the consequences. Life goes on.

pixil9
11-22-2004, 11:42 PM
i've had it happen to me twice so fuck it.. i'm never stopping

Freebs
11-22-2004, 11:56 PM
never had it happen to me.. but i know i would report it.. i couldnt imagin the feeling of coming out and seeing your cars bumber/door/hood what ever got hit just fucked up...

kanjus_paki
11-23-2004, 12:00 AM
sure everyone on here will say they would stop, but i bet 50% of the people on here would even

GTS Jeff
11-23-2004, 12:04 AM
i made the mistake of hit-and-run once when i was a teenager...with the beastmobile flying into the fence and bushes...

never again tho.

PH1PH1
11-23-2004, 12:22 AM
i believe in karma so .. i'd stop

teamPR0
11-23-2004, 12:30 AM
id stop. hit and run costs you i believe 6 demerits. as a GDL driver. thats like almost half your fucken limit. id never run. too much of a risk.

BigBearWest
11-23-2004, 12:38 AM
this happend to me today. yes i did stop.

dsmer
11-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by BigBearWest
this happend to me today. yes i did stop.

how much damage? i was sliding out of control at 20 kph !!! ice!! didnt hit anyone though

vietdood
11-23-2004, 12:51 AM
happened to my friends car today outside of my house, ran outside just as they were taking off but were smart enough to stop

Gspotracer
11-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by pixil9
i've had it happen to me twice so fuck it.. i'm never stopping

:werd: Its happened to me & cost me a lot of money

SpoonEK9@STRD
11-23-2004, 01:09 AM
happened to me several times, people dont care even if they are seen. Now why would I be differnt from them.

digitalshogun
11-23-2004, 04:06 AM
In your scenario ... how much damage is there?

bspot
11-23-2004, 11:08 AM
My parents had their 1 year old car side swiped while parked in the lot at Earl's on 16th. The girl had just totalled a car the week before and did over $3000 in damage to theirs. Even though it probably destroyed her insurance, she went into the restaurant and asked around until she found my parents and apologized and gave her info. Pretty decent of her if you ask me. Much better than just a note. I still want to know how she f*cked up that car so bad in a tiny parking lot like that... confuse the gas and brake?

Khyron
11-23-2004, 11:37 AM
I've been hit in a parking lot while I was in the car (by an old man) who just took off. I followed and wrote his plate, but later saw there was no damage at all.

I've witnessed one, and I too will go out of my way to make sure the hit & run driver gets nailed. I believe in jail time so I would even go as far as to testify. Don't run - it's not worth it.

Khyron

googe
11-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Personally I think the mods should look at the list of people that voted theyd run and hand out bans. 38%? Thats ridiculous.

g-mcstud
11-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by googe
Personally I think the mods should look at the list of people that voted theyd run and hand out bans. 38%? Thats ridiculous.

No kidding. Its ridiculous.

I hope karma is real in the cases of the people who voted they'd leave.

finboy
11-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by googe

:werd:

its like saying "someone stole my stereo equiptment so i have no problem buying hot car stereo's"

unbelievable

BumpinTalon
11-23-2004, 06:01 PM
i backed up into somebody once. no damage. I got out, left my info just in case, and left and never heard anything about it. it was in my old car too.
that same car got hit and ran, except since it was such a bad ass car the car that hit me had way more damage then my car (a 4" wide scratch the entire length of the car), and he would have run but somebody saw him and even waited up for me to come out to the car and let me know what happened. I didn't care :D
if my new car got hit and the guy left, I'd be fuckin choked but on the samae hand, if I hit somebody I would probably be so fuckin choked at myself for being an idiot I would leave and probably come back half an hour later when good sense got the best of me.

BigBearWest
11-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by dsmer

how much damage? i was sliding out of control at 20 kph !!! ice!! didnt hit anyone though

no damage to there car. my car has about 100-250 in damage if i can find used parts

Strider
11-23-2004, 09:41 PM
my car got hit and run by a drunk.... the dent is still there :cry:

MenteL
11-23-2004, 10:15 PM
i had my motorcycle pushed over by a group of kids coming from an east indian cultural gathering at the community center down the road from me. I would have ran out there swinging my bat but me vs 10+ punks isn't worth it. cops were in the neighborhood and pulled them over down the street after i reported it. apparantly they knocked out a bunch of car windows and tail lights, headlights and stabbed tires with pocket knives. hope they got what they had coming.

in that note, ive never had a hit and run, however i had a woman leave a note on my car telling me not to be such a dickweed for taking up 3parking spots :nut:

aZnBlooD
11-24-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
i made the mistake of hit-and-run once when i was a teenager...with the beastmobile flying into the fence and bushes...

never again tho.

haha...i remember that...

ryder_23
11-24-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by teamPR0
id stop. hit and run costs you i believe 6 demerits. as a GDL driver. thats like almost half your fucken limit. id never run. too much of a risk.

thats more than half of it. Your aloud 8.

Running is just stupid, and it all comes back to bite you in the arse one day.

freakin
11-24-2004, 09:27 AM
You people that would run are pathetic. Own up to your actions. If you hit something, you're responsible for it. This is why I hated parking downtown. I used to have to park on the street and I'd always find new dings on my bumpers. My personal favorite was a truck that backed over my hood and caused close to $3,000 damage then took off. Luckily there's a cafe across the street and a couple of people on the patio got his license plate. I still spent over 8 months fighting with ICBC over that one just to get paid out. If I ever saw someone hit a car and take off, I'd make sure you were held accountable for it.

In case you were wondering, I voted to let them know what I did.

NiteRider
11-24-2004, 12:56 PM
my brother ( R-Audi ) was a victim of a hit and run, last summer.
what a pain in the ass, it was
people
please leave a note or something

abyss
11-24-2004, 01:13 PM
My car currently has damage from TWO hit and runs on it! :cry: I mean seriously! There is nothing worse than coming out to find your car damaged from a hit and run. I almost wanted to cry after the first one, and then a month later I did cry about the second one. Even just an apology would've been nice.

[end rant]

So for the record, I will ALWAYS stop if I've hit someone. Just because I know how much it sucks otherwise.

CRDAONLINE.com
11-24-2004, 01:19 PM
I wouldn’t because my license is suspended for illegal street racing

But i would leave a check to cover the damage

7thgenvic
11-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by CRDAONLINE.com

and here comes the flaming!
its fuckers like you why i have to pay for my car to get fixed every winter or whenever i come back to my car and the bumper is haning off. Have some fucking respect and leave you phone #. I wish i would have caught the bastards to backed in to my car twice.

its really simple to leave you # when its your fault, because whats worse is if you think you get away with it, and then police come to your house and press charges on you for hit and run!

CRDAONLINE.com
11-24-2004, 01:35 PM
My car was in a hit in run too

they cliped my hole side when i was parked

i chased em but my car overheated and i had to stop

i've never got any money for it

it's life things happen to people

cars get crashed all the time

my car was crashed about 4 times now you just gota learn how to fix it

and im in chicago no one has insurance over here and every one drives a rammer so cars don't last

i'm sorry your you had to pay for your car but you should of shopped smart

got a car from a auction that was totaled and just rebuilt it .thats what i did

then get full insurance and when someone hits you they'll give your more money then what you payed for your car

googe
11-24-2004, 01:53 PM
My car was in a hit in run too

they cliped my hole side when i was parked

i chased em but my car overheated and i had to stop

i've never got any money for it

it's life things happen to people

cars get crashed all the time

my car was crashed about 4 times now you just gota learn how to fix it

and im in chicago no one has insurance over here and every one drives a rammer so cars don't last

i'm sorry your you had to pay for your car but you should of shopped smart

got a car from a auction that was totaled and just rebuilt it .thats what i did

then get full insurance and when someone hits you they'll give your more money then what you payed for your car

thats retarded logic, you should be banned too.

izzoblitzo
11-24-2004, 02:01 PM
I see hit and runs all the time.

out the window at my office, people always hit each other when they park... usually while backing up.

I saw a woman hit a parked vehicle, then you see this sour look on her face, and then she high tailed!

Another time, a guy backed into another car in his infiniti, he gets out, looks at the damage on his car (without looking at the other vehicle) and then he high tailed too.:banghead:

FiveFreshFish
11-24-2004, 02:03 PM

But i would leave a check to cover the damage

You would leave a blank check or would you estimate the damage? Either way makes no sense.

Better off leaving your name and phone number because your check will still lead back to you whether or not it has your personal info printed on it.

A_3
12-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Sorry to bump this but I have to rant...

I went out with some pals last night and I decided to leave my car at a friends house. After the big night we call a cab to pick us up from her house but he never shows, I agree to let the girl drive us home in my car and then drive herself in it back to her house and i'd come pick it up in the morning. Letting someone else drive my car (even though it's only a civic) is a big step for me, a select few have done it but she seemed like a good enough driver and is a fairly close friend. Anyways go to pick it up in the morning and notice a huge smudge on the front bump... I think odd that wasn't there last night, go in for closer inspection, someone hit my front bumper and scrapped down the front of it for about a foot. They managed to crack a bunch of paint on the bumper and knock off one of my front liscence plate caps but there was surprisingly no dent. It's fairly obvious that one of her parents (or someone that was leaving her driveway) hit the car as pieces (the liscence plate plug) was lying on the ground in front of the car. However I can't really prove anything, i'm pretty choked about it though, wouldn't even leave a note for one of there daughters friends. I'm especially angry because a little over a month ago I love tapped another car without a driver in it. Easily could have run but decided to do the right thing, ended up costing me $1600 cause I got taken advantage of BIG TIME. I

A_3
12-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Sorry to bump this but I have to rant...

I went out with some pals last night and I decided to leave my car at a friends house. After the big night we call a cab to pick us up from her house but he never shows, I agree to let the girl drive us home in my car and then drive herself in it back to her house and i'd come pick it up in the morning. Letting someone else drive my car (even though it's only a civic) is a big step for me, a select few have done it but she seemed like a good enough driver and is a fairly close friend. Anyways go to pick it up in the morning and notice a huge smudge on the front bump... I think odd that wasn't there last night, go in for closer inspection, someone hit my front bumper and scrapped down the front of it for about a foot. They managed to crack a bunch of paint on the bumper and knock off one of my front liscence plate caps but there was surprisingly no dent. It's fairly obvious that one of her parents (or someone that was leaving her driveway) hit the car as pieces (the liscence plate plug) was lying on the ground in front of the car. However I can't really prove anything, i'm pretty choked about it though, wouldn't even leave a note for one of there daughters friends. I'm especially angry because a little over a month ago I love tapped another car without a driver in it. Easily could have run but decided to do the right thing, ended up costing me $1600 cause I got taken advantage of BIG TIME. I'm thinking if the paint is cracked i'm probably SOL. i'm going to take it in to Honda in the next couple of days here. I assume I can't really do much in a situation like this 1) because I can't prove anything and 2) because she is my friend and accusing her parents of something might not go over so well especially if I asked the police to make a report. Just angry because you hope that if you do the right thing you will be rewarded by someone doing the right thing back, guess that's not how the world works though.

End rant

Edit: thanks for the tip Jaret... acohol must be doing a number on my brain still, stupid draft!

ryder_23
12-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by A_3
I'm thinking if the paint is cracked i'm probably SOL because it will oxidize etc.

didnt know bumpers could rust :poosie:

anyways alex, honda will charge you a boat load to fix. If paint is cracked, you will possibly need full respray of bumper. I know a guy who just fixed my sis's car from her stupid friend who hit it. 1/2 the price that toyota quoted us at, and did excellent work.

Z_Fan
12-03-2004, 02:22 PM
About 10 years ago, my then girlfriend hit someones car while it was parked. She was in a crappy little Firefly - going around a corner with huge snow ruts - the car got stuck in the ruts and swung around. Her nose of the car struck a parked car and made some minor damage on the other vehicle. No damage to speak of on hers.

Being the good, honest person she is, she goes to the door of the house...lets them know what happened. Person was a complete asshole. Extremely rude. For this incident, she would have been better to take off. You'd think you'd be grateful for the person at least having the courage to stop - as opposed to just taking off. Understandable to be upset though...but christ...if the person who hits your car doesn't stop, you are screwed...

To be honest, if I hit someone and there was no major visual damage - I'm outta there. Not because that is the right thing to do, but because 95% of society will just take off if they think they have done no damage. Do to others as they will surely to do you!

Reality is that if the cars hit, you will have paint scuffs, scratches etc. at a very minimum. And you know damn well this happens all the time. Hell, even door dings...no one cares. You buy a $50k car and some asshole will ding it because they have no respect.

Anyhow...the right thing to do is stop - if we all stopped, it wouldn't be an issue now would it?

Curious
12-03-2004, 02:38 PM
I've been a victim many times, now I always remember the make/model/L.P. of cars that are parked around me just in case. After you keep doing this it becomes a habit just like putting on your seatbelt. For those who have good memory that is.

RedBull
12-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Sigh.... our new 2004 4Runner with 8000km got "hit and runned" last weekend. Thankfully Toyota desigend a 4-piece bumper so instead of $1600 to replace, its only $270 for a rear corner section. :guns: to hit and runners!!!