PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice regarding my new job...

serusnak
11-23-2004, 08:10 PM
I need some advice.

I got hired to work at the best shop (supposedly) in town called Maranello's (VERY high end cars) and I was told that they were unsure of what to pay me since they didn't know what my capablities were. I felt that it was fair enough so I went ahead and started working there for a few days.

Yesterday and today, a couple of guys who's been working there for at least a year were complaining how they were being underpaid. There's one guy who has a similiar job as I'm doing right now (detailer/prepper, except that I'm not an apprentice, I'm on a probation right now). He's worked there for a little over two years and only makes 9.50.

I knew that I'd probably make minimum wage until I become an apprentice, but I was hoping I'd make at least 8 dollars a hour as an apprentice. From what the guys have told me, it seems like I'd be making minimum wage or close, (6.50 to 7.00) for a very long time. But then, it's the guys' word against the shop's.

My problem is that I would not mind working there, it's the pay that sucks, especially when I know my managers are getting away with murder. (see all those cars parked in front of the shop??) Even the journey men there are underpaid, only making $16 to $18, and in my opinion, that is really crappy for a shop that's supposedly the best in town. It also tells me that I won't move up much no matter how hard I work. They don't pay overtime, everyone isn't on a flat rate. No vacation either, one guy there had a baby and asked for the day off to go pick up his wife and his baby from the hospital and got attitude from the owners for asking. (apparently he hasn't taken vacation yet in a little over a year and worked all weekends in the summer)

It's very hard for me because I've tried so hard to find a job in the autobody field, and I was really excited when the shop in town hired me. Should I suck it up and accept an apprenticeship there (if they offer) with really poor pay? Or should I go on and see if another shop would hire me? What would you do?

I don't mind the job, it's the pay that bothers me and the fact how it's supposed to be a really good shop and yet they treat their employees like crap. I don't want to get stuck working there for three years and still make 9.50. It's like a sweat shop there. Help!

CelicaST-162
11-23-2004, 08:22 PM
If that is the case, then If I were you I would be ready to quit. If they treat the longtime employees like that what makes you think they will you any better? Have you checked out any of the dealers in town? I can certainly check at the dealership I work at and see if there is a position as a detailer and so on.

Vic

R-Audi
11-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Hang on to it, and look for others while you are gaining more experience.

^SkylinE^
11-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Lifes to short to live unhappy. Keep the job while you look for another. Or if you can aford it QUITE! I learned this one very quickly and i love my jobs at the moment!:thumbsup:

ninspeed
11-23-2004, 08:42 PM
hey, if you are new to the trade, and have not been enroled in the apprenticeship program, then they can pay you what you want. until you have your little blue book you kinda float down low on the pay scale.. when i started, i was making 10$/hr before i was enroled... my manager is a great guy, and once i was enroled, he gave me 2nd year wages.
The other guys should be geting payed based on the alberta apprenticeship pay scale.

1st year = 55% of journeman wages
2nd year = 70%
3rd = 80%

the journeymen are making industry average (16$-20$/hr)... but you have to remember its flat rate... average journeyman in my shop makes 14-20hrs/day.

Another thing to look foward to is the fact nobody is getting in to the trade with SKILL..... right now for every 3 journeymen that leave, only one come in, and they are not all very skilled, so if you strap up, and learn all you can.. you will make good coin (80k a year plus for a good bodyman right now....)

check out www.tradesecrets.org for some more info

serusnak
11-23-2004, 08:59 PM
If that is the case, then If I were you I would be ready to quit. If they treat the longtime employees like that what makes you think they will you any better? Have you checked out any of the dealers in town? I can certainly check at the dealership I work at and see if there is a position as a detailer and so on.

I know, the fact they treat their long time employees like crap made me have doubts. I took the autobody course (pre employment course) at sait last march and that's how long I've been looking for a job. So, yes, I have checked various places only to be told that it's too slow or that they're not interested, etcera. Could very well have something to do with the fact I'm female, though I'm not giving up. If there is a position available, that would be nice, though I'd need info about the job and I'd go apply. Thanks! It's nice to be able to rely on a fellow beyonder!

I plan on that, I've decided to keep working there anyway and look for another job.

hey, if you are new to the trade, and have not been enroled in the apprenticeship program, then they can pay you what you want. until you have your little blue book you kinda float down low on the pay scale.. when i started, i was making 10$/hr before i was enroled... my manager is a great guy, and once i was enroled, he gave me 2nd year wages.

I know that I'd probably get the lowest pay out of everyone, but minimum wage doing crap work for 6.50 a hour with no overtime pay? Fuck that. I barely made 600 dollars a month working at a ski resort, I'm not willing to live on minimum again when I know other shops pay out a little better.

So, what, if I'm new to the trade and haven't become an apprentice, they'll pay me what I want until I become an apprentice? Your statement does not make sense. It should be the other way around, shitty pay till I become an apprentice.

So are you all in either mechanics or autobody? It sounds like you're all in some sort of automotive related trade.

ninspeed
11-23-2004, 09:09 PM
sorry, i meant they can pay you what THEY want. I am 2nd year auto body now just finished chalenging the first year exam. Another thing to look for in a shop is how caring the journmen are... some are assholes and will go out of their way to make sure you dont learn from them, some are the otherway around.. i have been quite lucky, and all the guys (but the one i stay away from cuas he does shit work) showed me the ropes.... last 6 months i have been on my own mostly doing my own jobs ect

max_boost
11-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Wow, that's too bad. Considering the quality of work they produce, and the premium they charge, they would at least pay their workers better????

With all those fumes you are inhaling in that atmosphere, they better be paying you more than minimum wage. I'm not familiar with that industry but I imagine the type of labor involved is probably much more intense than a Starbucks employee who starts out at $10 or even a Poker dealer who can easily rake $20/hour with tips.

maximus
11-24-2004, 02:38 AM
I don't know, I would probably give it a shot. Let it play out for awhile and get your own feel on the managers and environment. You probably don't know the whole story behind that specific situation etc. Stay for awhile and see how things work and how people really are.

Also, if you are expecting to get the same wage elsewhere, you should seriously consider staying and toughing it out. Why? Because given their reputation and the cars they work on, they obviously know what they are doing and have highly skilled workers. You will probably learn a lot more from them then a lower end type autobody. Its probably better to take $9/hr and learn everything properly then get $10/hr and learn half-assed. So maybe learn the skills with them and then decide. If you can prove yourself and your work, I'm sure they will treat you right.

And if all else fails, pm me. I know the owners of a very reputable shop here in Calgary.

:thumbsup:

serusnak
11-24-2004, 07:51 AM
yeah, well, I'll figure it out eventually but I really doubt I'll stay very long. The fact that most of the people who work there does crack does not help.

Ugh.

googe
11-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by serusnak
The fact that most of the people who work there does crack does not help.

Ugh.

Yikes! Careful with comments like that, even if its true, you could find yourself in some trouble. :)

Mckenzie
11-24-2004, 09:52 AM
I would run far away from a place like that. If you are new and already you have heard others complain I can almost garantee that you will be unhappy there. I was in the exact same boat in a different job a few years back.

When worker moral is low and every hates the management, the working environment is terrible. There is so much negativity that floats around places like that it makes just showing up to work a chore.

When the management treats its employees with respect, working becomes enjoyable and not drudgery....when its the other way around, you will hate every minute of it and all of your workplace conversations will revolve around how crappy the place is to work.

I hope you find a place to work that you wont have to worry about getting screwed around at...it makes the job much more enjoyable.:thumbsup:

Shaolin
11-24-2004, 10:16 AM
look for a new job in the same industry, but keep the one you have now.. like you said, you looked this long to finally get the job you want if you don't like it because of the company, there are numerous other ones out there..

maximus
11-24-2004, 05:13 PM
yeah, well, I'll figure it out eventually but I really doubt I'll stay very long. The fact that most of the people who work there does crack does not help.

Ugh.

Wow.....you have a very negative attitude. Didn't you just say that they gave you a chance when noone else would??

Anyway, You may be staying shorter than you think with those types of comments on public forums.....but the decison probably won't be up to you.

Good luck to you in this job and the industry as a whole!

Weapon_R
11-24-2004, 05:36 PM
So, you have no papers, you're not an apprentice, and you are doing prep work. What did you expect to get? $7.00/hour is fine, because if you wont do it, other people will.

After you get your papers, you can look for higher paying jobs. Fact is, there arent a whole lot of high end shops in Calgary, and i'll bet that Maranello's is paying their guys the industry average, because the guys there wouldn't stay otherwise.

JAYMEZ
11-24-2004, 06:01 PM
Ya I agree with weap , I went there to get my wing painted for the rx-7 TODAY , and wow , with all the money they are making , you think they would have a better waiting room , its basically a room with a desk hehe:nut: .... But if guys with Lambos and high end cars take there cars .... It must mean they do awesome work.
Someone is making money , hrmm i wonder who it is :rolleyes:

cycosis
11-24-2004, 06:42 PM
my advice, dont discuss wages with coworkers, doesnt make good employee team work when everyone knows who is geting payed what

Superesc
11-24-2004, 06:57 PM
I would stay, gain some experience and suck it up for a while. I would think having this shop's name on your resume would be a good 'investment'.

AllGoNoShow
11-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Im with Supersec, stay get exsperience, get into the scene more, I know lots of guys who are emchanics, and they go out for lunch or to buy tools and get job offers all the time, so once your in you will have opportunitys popping up all over the place.

BebeAphrodite
11-25-2004, 01:08 AM
my opinion is similar to what I'm reading...
I would stay until you can find something better.
And also I wouldn't write things like this on a car forum because things like this travel around and it's not good to be talking badly of your work place.
Sometimes a little step is better than no step at all.
I'd just suck it up and keep doing this crap work because no one else has taken you for so long.
And also agree with others. I wouldn't discuss pay and etc with co workers unless I was 100% dead sure that these people are chilling.

Melinda
11-25-2004, 01:54 AM
I dont know if this was your intention, but you've just done some VERY bad PR for your company. I've heard nothing but good things about your company's work, but what you have said in this thread would definately make me look elsewhere if/when I ever need their services. And it's probably safe to assume that if you've changed one person's opinion regarding future work at Maranello's, I'm probably not the only one...You may have just shot yourself in the foot because there are a number of people on the forum who get alot of work done there and would probably not hesitate to tell your bosses what you have posted regarding their company.

Good luck, hopefully everything works out for you but next time you'd be smart to leave a lot of the personal opinions and "behind the scenes" tidbits out of your posts.

PH1PH1
11-25-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

^^very good advice ..neva had this kinda advice back in the day .. would've helped so much :banghead:

googe
11-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by cycosis
my advice, dont discuss wages with coworkers, doesnt make good employee team work when everyone knows who is geting payed what

i disagree completely, companies like to keep this a secret to get away with paying everyone minimally. disclosure keeps them fair.

serusnak
11-27-2004, 10:51 PM
all right thanks for the heads up people.

I have no access to the internet right now as i just moved into a new place, which is why my post was delayed. I'm at a friends house right now posting here, as i feel it is important to post.

It was not my intentions whatsoever to badmouth the company I work for, I agree one hundred percent that we do good, honest work and the quality is certainly worth the money. So keep it coming guys.

I posted because I needed advice from you guys as I knew some of you were in the trade and you would at least give me some direction.

I agree, I shouldn't probably have posted some of things i have said about Maranello's, however I felt some of them played an important factor in my doubts.

I know I have no papers, I have no problems working minimum wage until I become an apprentice. Then I expect to make about half of the journeymens wage, but since the journeymen there are paid really low, I'm still stuck working minimum wage. I would rather work at a shop where I can see myself learning a fair bit and still earn decent pay, not still making 9.50 as a second year apprentice. You can't tell me that is the norm for a second to third year apprentice. Besides, I can't live on 6.50 for a long time as I do have bills to pay for, I don't live at home so this makes things difficult for me.

Also, there's another factor I didn't include in my post. I'm hearing impaired, so I write via pen/paper for communciation, and since Gerry and Silivio cannot write english (they're italian, I think), this puts me in a bit of a disadvantage. I cannot ask them questions and use the vocabulary I learned in SAIT. They cannot teach me as well as someone who could write in english. Yes, there is some people there who can write english, but one of them is a frame tech and the other an apprentice. They have their own work to do, and I don't want to have to ask them questions while I full well know that it is mostly Gerry's or his brother's responsiblity. It is working out so far, but I'm not saistified, I need to know how things work and why, and apply that to my work. I guess either that, or I'm just full of bullshit, lol.

Thank you for your advice, I will keep in mind not to post things that would hurt my company's image/reputation. I've decided to ride it out anyway, and see how things go, while keeping in mind I probably don't know the full story behind all this. If I still feel this isn't working out, I'll look for a job and quit later.

Thank you!

(I will check back as soon as I get access to the net or am at a place that has the net, so post away!)

Melinda
11-28-2004, 12:55 AM
Hmm I see where you have a bit of a drawback...If that's the case, you might get someone who can come to work with you a few times to ask questions to them to understand what they say and then write or sign it for you. It might help for a few days to get some of the barebones taken care of

ninspeed
11-28-2004, 02:00 AM
Also, there's another factor I didn't include in my post. I'm hearing impaired, so I write via pen/paper for communciation,

hey dont worry about being hearing impaired, anyone who has been in the trade more than 5 years starts going deaf... i am allready 40% in one ear, and 30% in the other.

I am glad you are sticking with it... its hard to start, but it will pay off in the end... espically if it is something you enjoy and have a heart for. I am on my own as well, and sometimes things can be a little tight on the wallet, but i would not trade my job for anything