PDA

View Full Version : Acura oil change is expensive Part: 2

rsxboi
05-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Two days ago when my new acura reached to 24000km, i brought it to Acura Delaership to do my oil change, after that they told me the next oil change service will be 32000km and they have to charge me $188.00 plus gst. I was so pissed and ask them why so expensive, they show me the service schedule called type c, they have to do a lot of checking for my acura. I told them the acura we bought is still under warranty and this is their job. I got the answer from them is " This is nothing to do with the warranty" If I refuse it in the future if anything wrong with my acura they will not take any respondsility anymore...don't you think this a joke?
So far I know i have bought three brand new Ford already, every 5000km I bring it back to the dealership for oil change service and I never pay any extra money for all the checking like Acura asking for. So far what I know all my fords above 45000km I need to change my automatic transmission oil and it cost me about $140.00 plus that is!

Weapon_R
05-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Is this Silverhill Acura?

That.Guy.S30
05-06-2004, 12:15 AM
my subie at 24000 costed me i think 200 and some odd bucks. but it was for everything including an oil change. maybe thats whats included in your acura too?

hjr
05-06-2004, 12:22 AM
get them to explain all the charges to you. they may be justified but they should definetely tell you before hand that that is what they are going to do. Remeber, try to stay calm when dealing with ass-holes. the only way to win is to go above their head.

Hakkola
05-06-2004, 12:29 AM
LOL, that's a rip off, I got an oil change on monday; $90 for synthetic oil, $30 for the check up...

rc2002
05-06-2004, 09:00 AM
hjr is right, find out what they're charging you for in the type "C" checkup. I bet it's stupid things like tire rotation, checking fluid levels, brake pads, etc. etc... Things tha tyou can do yourself.

When I get my oil changed at Honda, I supply my own synthetic oil, and they just charge me $15 for labour and $5 for filter.

Khyron
05-06-2004, 11:21 AM
AHAHA my VW 32KM change is over 300 bucks if you do everything. As long as you just do your oil changes, you're fine for warranty stuff.

Mine is, for instance:

Engine Oil - change
Engine Filter - change
Windshield Washer Fluid - check level
Automatic Shift Lock-check operation
Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
Wheels - rotate from front to rear
Air Bag System - check function/damage
Battery - check electrolyte level
Engine - check for leaks
Pollen Filter - replace
Cooling System - check level
Transmission - check for leaks
Tires/Spare - check condition
Driveshaft - check boots
On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory
Door Hinge - lube
Headlights - check and adjust if necessary
Exhaust System - check for damage and leaks
Sunroof Frame - clean and lubricate
Road Test-check system functions during and after

So I'm telling them to do none of it except the oil. So it's not a rip off, assuming they are doing more than JUST an oil change, and the customer doesn't know to check basic things.

Khyron

max_boost
05-06-2004, 11:50 AM
That's scheduled maintenance for you!
Yah it is pretty much a rip off, unless you drive into a puddle of mud or go offroading with your car or run into any curbs, I don't think anything is going to fall off:rofl:

I usually do only oil changes which is why Mr.Lube is the bomb:thumbsup: and I'll bring it back to the dealer every 48,000kms for one of those maintenance packages where they are actually doing something like changing coolant, fluids etc.

Anyway, good thing about BMW and this is my plug, brand new car, next service in 25,000kms:eek: hahaha:thumbsup:

nickyh
05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
AHAHA my VW 32KM change is over 300 bucks if you do everything. As long as you just do your oil changes, you're fine for warranty stuff.

Khyron

LOL Kyhron - I just had my 32K service done and even after a $12 coupon off the VW site it still only came to $179.
The service advisor kept stressing the fact that it was between $250 and $300 so when i saw $179 - SCORE! :thumbsup:

GSR Zero
05-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Look at the bright side, you are only getting your car serviced every 8000km unlike some other cars like my bros Lancer, every 5000km. Savings add up after a while.

Oh ya, you might as well get used to more expensive services in the future. As you get into the Type D & E services you are looking over $300 for some services. Add on the replacement of plugs and your timing belt, it will be even higher.

Redlyne_mr2
05-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Wow owning a new car sucks

Akagi Redsuns
05-06-2004, 08:35 PM
It's not about owning a new car because any car is going to need preventative maintence, the problem is taking it to the stealership for service. Basically all you need to do is follow the maintence schedule, but do it yourself or get it done by a independent shop. Just make sure you have documentation if anything goes wrong and you need to prove it was maintained to get free warranty work.

max_boost
05-06-2004, 09:14 PM
The thing I don't understand is, why do they threaten you by saying, if you don't get the maintenance done, it will void your warranty.......LOL

Are you supposed to instill fear into your valued customers?:rofl:

I usually reply with something along the lines of, I'm sure Acura or Toyota doesn't manufacturer products that break so easily. I'll bring it back when it breaks down haha:devil:

rsxboi
05-06-2004, 09:44 PM
I understand that is a schdule maintain, but remember that when the factory sell you the car, they have to taking care of the car, because the car is still under warranty, that's mean when you drive to certain mileage, this is thier job to do the checking to fine out is that any wrong with the car or not. This is really bullshit. Why we have to pay EXTRA money to them...This is rid off too!
For Acura Type C is only $180.00 don't forget when you reach to type D and Type E and you will never belive how much they are charging you.....I am from Edmonton.

Treaten me is because they want the business lol...
Toyota also the same thing but they don't charge like Acura....maybe Acura concern they are high class car lol.........

pinoyhero
05-06-2004, 09:48 PM
at silverhill i bought 6 oil chages for 100

ntv1980
05-07-2004, 12:16 AM
I'm a newbie at owning a new Honda too. So I think basically owning a new car is like getting caught by Honda's bait. They make money not only on selling the car but also the maintenance $$$ on the so called "required service". Oil change service is cheap, but for the next levels of service at 12K/24K/36K/48K/60K/72K... (oil change + inspection craps + some little lubrication & tires rotation) it's $200 & up.

I'm pretty confused when Honda Canada says on its web site "Factory RECOMMENDED Maintenance" and the column header says "Regular Maintenance REQUIRED" => translation: it's REQUIRED to pay more $$$ for these maintenance in order for Honda to honour its warranty & hope that warranty matters would not be settled in court.

In my car, they also mark some red paint on some screws (of engine mounts, etc) & I heard from the original owner that the dealer says if you touch those, you'll void the warranty :dunno:
Also, if you do any maintenance not from places authorized by Honda Canada, you'll also void the warranty.

So I guess we'll have to bite the bullet and pay for these services in other to not messing the warranty up.

Another approach is to call Honda (Acura) Canada and ask them to explain the policy.

If anybody who owns a new Honda/Acura and have experience with these matters, please share your understanding.

GTS Jeff
05-07-2004, 07:46 AM
wow, an oil change every 12000km?

max_boost
05-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
wow, an oil change every 12000km? Is that alarming? BMW next service 25,000kms:D

Seanith
05-07-2004, 04:45 PM
wow, an oil change every 12000km?

Thats the recommended drain interval for amsoil too!

LancerShelby
05-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Buy a used car then guys and do the work yourself.

rsxboi
05-07-2004, 05:40 PM
LancerShelby,
Why you take it so F**King serious in here man!.......

RSRT-4
05-07-2004, 08:43 PM
LOL I always laugh at you people that think warranty covers everything on your cars. You do not have to do any of the maintaince on your car if you don't want to . You can only come in for oil changes and thats it but the mech is not goin to waste his time checkin your car out for free he is tryin to make a living aswell. Remember that. I would recommend keeping recipts for any work done to prove you have maintained your car if anything does go wrong.

Remember Warranty cover Defective parts Not failures due to abuse or lack of maintaince READ YOUR WARRANTY BOOKLET AND STOP BITCHIN

rsxboi
05-07-2004, 09:29 PM
maybe only for japanese cars you have to pay for this kind of money. I know America car can't compair with jap car but I've been buying two brand new Ford Winstar using for 3 years and they never charge me this kind of money. So far I know both of them when my mileage over 45,000km i have to change my automatic transmission oil and they charge me about $140.00 only. The rest of that I am just paying about $45.00 for my winstar oil change that is!....believe it or not there is alot of different.

GTS Jeff
05-08-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Is that alarming? BMW next service 25,000kms:D how do u sleep at night?!??

dameon_star
05-16-2004, 09:46 PM
I feel really sorry for you guys, we charge $20 for oil changes and check ups are $45 christ im glad I do what I do otherwise id hate to see the bill if I couldnt do the work anytime it needed to be done and oil changes we suggest every 5000 km or 3 months

Dennis1982
11-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Just to let you all know the service pak is bullshit and the dealer charges to much all of the stuff can be done at your loc Mr. Lube including tire rotation trany fluid rad fluid fule system cleaning and it is not going to void anything that is where i take my car and when the engine blue at 58,000km and i had record of all my oil changes from Mr. Lube the ford fuckers had to replace it so there you have it you dont have to go to the dealer for ENEYTHING

GTS Jeff
11-23-2004, 07:00 PM
update....i found out that the factory recommended oil change interval for an ae86 gts is 16,000km.

CelicaST-162
11-23-2004, 07:09 PM
update....i found out that the factory recommended oil change interval for an ae86 gts is 16,000km.

lol are you sure? More like 6000:thumbsup:

dsmer
11-23-2004, 07:09 PM
all honda's are the same, a civic is costly too. in the long run though you will be thankful.

Deetz
11-23-2004, 07:16 PM
I own an RSX and do all my own oil changes myself during the summer about every 4000-5000kms. Once the weather is worse i bring it in to the dealer for a regular change for $30.

I never pay for the BS maintence intervals every 25,000kms. I've owned 24 Honda's over the years and never had a single breakdown except for a throwing a rod while on NOS runing on an engine with 250,000kms, he he, a few years back.

GTS Jeff
11-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

lol are you sure? More like 6000:thumbsup: maybe you should check your copy of the corolla owners manual, ass.

5.9 R/T
11-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
LOL, that's a rip off, I got an oil change on monday; $90 for synthetic oil, $30 for the check up...

I don't know why you're laughing, 120 for an oil change and minor checkup (ie kick the tires) ain't much better.

euro_racer
11-23-2004, 08:22 PM
i dono if honda dielership is same as acura, but if you wanted just an oil-change you should have gotten a type 1 service, type 4 is stuff like oil-change, tire rotation and balancing the front 2, brake fluid flush, brake service, windshield fluid, and loobing doors

edit: this whole service will cost you maybe 2-3 hours, but is easily done in less than 30 min

fast95pony
11-23-2004, 08:50 PM
I just had the 40K oil change and inspection on the SVT Focus. It cost $240 . That the biggest inspection on the SVTF . All the other 5k oil changes are $35. Once the warranty is over it's Mr Lube time.

Nix87
11-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Ive had a great expierence at Northwest Acura they gave me coupons for my first 8 oil changes to be free :thumbsup:

rsxboi
11-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Bring your car to THE TIRE WAREHOUSE, They willl take care of your car. So far so good I like their service. Forgot to tell you with FREE TIRES RETATION eh! Acura will charge you for the tires rotation. I am happy now, everytime I bring my car to do oil change, I tell them to do my tires rotation. Acura will suggest you every 16000 KM (if I am right?) to do your tires rotation, why should I have to wait for 16000KM? Why not every 8000KM tires rotation?
Have fun guys

Boost Infested
11-24-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by RSRT-4
LOL I always laugh at you people that think warranty covers everything on your cars. You do not have to do any of the maintaince on your car if you don't want to . You can only come in for oil changes and thats it but the mech is not goin to waste his time checkin your car out for free he is tryin to make a living aswell. Remember that. I would recommend keeping recipts for any work done to prove you have maintained your car if anything does go wrong.

Remember Warranty cover Defective parts Not failures due to abuse or lack of maintaince READ YOUR WARRANTY BOOKLET AND STOP BITCHIN

LOL so F'king true, i work in parts/service department. "I need brake pads?" "Wouldnt that be covered under WARRANTY?" :rofl:

xrayvsn
11-24-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by rsxboi

I am from Edmonton.

Bring your car to Autotech. Its an independent shop that won't rape you, and they specialize in Honda/Acura, and Toyota. Honest shop, I've been going there (the southside shop) for nearly 9 years now.

7232 76 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6B0B2
(780) 466-1160

http://www.wilsonsautotech.com/

Skyline_Addict
11-24-2004, 04:05 AM
uhhh, there's no need to start two threads about the exact same thing....
anyways.... they charged me 30 bucks for my oil change.....i think that's all they do for me when I bring it in for "maintenance".

cloud1314
11-24-2004, 11:58 PM
i thought that if you buy a new honda "oil/filter change" are free if you follow the schedule maintenance.

or you can buy higher end cars where maintenance comes with the vehicle such as Audi 4yr maintenance free