PDA

View Full Version : Am i hurt?

three.eighteen.
11-24-2004, 01:39 AM
About 3 weeks ago, in a drunken table climbing incident i landed straight on the small of my back on carpeted concrete floor, it still hurts like a bruise, mainly when im in a slouch position, seems to get better a little at a time, but it still hurts, i also have full range of motion. I'd really like to get back into the gym, but i'm worried about hurting myself more.

hockeybronx
11-24-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
About 3 weeks ago, in a drunken table climbing incident i landed straight on the small of my back on carpeted concrete floor, it still hurts like a bruise, mainly when im in a slouch position, seems to get better a little at a time, but it still hurts, i also have full range of motion. I'd really like to get back into the gym, but i'm worried about hurting myself more.

Hey Playa...

Back injuries are serious. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago after being checked from behind into the boards in hockey. I ended up fracturing 3 thoracic vertebrae. It hurt to lay down, and especially to walk.

Desire can heal such injuries though. I really had to push myself. I developed a 30 min stretching routine which I did everyday (and still do 3 times a week), which really helped everything. When I felt comfortable (which you will) I began incorporating weights and cardio.

It took me about 2 weeks to heal enough so I could lie to my parents and hockey coach so they would let me play. It probably took about 4-5 months till I didn't feel any pain.

Three imperative things I would suggest for quick healing:
- do some research on effective stretches, and make up an extensive routine to do daily.
- drink lots of milk
- sleep on the floor flat on your back (it will feel great in the morning)

Mckenzie
11-24-2004, 09:39 AM
:werd:

I am no stranger to back injuries either. Avoid back loading injuries in the gym such as squats, cable rows, the calve push up machine, and even situps.

Also avoid impact cardio such as running.

I found that after my back injury in the summer, when I got back to the gym, my back pain decreased dramaticly after I stopped doing squats with the bar and running on the treadmill.

Go for core strengthening excercises at a physio clinic such as panther.

Use lots of cold and hot therapy.

Stretching is super important as well.

Thats all for now....if it gets really persistent, go see your family doc for Xrays.

hockeybronx
11-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Hey Playa...

I also wanted to add, if your back is still pretty bad and you are itching for exercise, swimming is pretty good for low impact cardio.

Also the post-swimming steam room works wonders as well.

three.eighteen.
11-24-2004, 04:38 PM
its not intense pain or anything, it just wont go away, but yeah i figured i should probably just stay away from squats and anything else that would load the lower back