PDA

View Full Version : Bartending courses

custommx
11-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Does anyone know of any bartending courses here in Edmonton. I called up the fine arts bartending school but there hours don't fit my schedule, so is there any other ones here?

ryder_23
11-24-2004, 05:31 PM
i believe in calgary sait does...so maybe nait (or whatever it is in edmonton) :dunno:

00sir
11-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Bartending courses are a waste of time, don't even bother. All they teach you is how to make drinks that nobody ever orders.

ryder_23
11-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Ya, hes got a point

goto the bar, order a shot or what not, and 90% of the time, they dont make it right.

you can just pick up a book or go on the net, and memorize a bunch.

custommx
11-25-2004, 02:40 AM
So you don't need a "certificate" in order to become a bartender?

mo_virgin
11-25-2004, 02:50 AM
No you don't... your best bet is to work in a restaurant or club and just hang around and learn the ropes.

custommx
11-25-2004, 02:51 AM
alright thanks

2002civic
11-25-2004, 12:22 PM
haha biggest waste of money ever,
If u wanna be a bartender you should buss at a club and eventually youll move up. You wont learn dick all at a restaurant cuz youll be doing something else and too busy and you dont move up to bartender, they hire bartenders straight up.
Just apply at a small lil place and gain experience or go to a night club. if u wanna work at a club youll have to start as a busser, then move to b.a. and eventually after a year or so youll be bartending.
Theyll never hire straight to bartending or b.a. even with experience(unless your blonde with a nice ass and huge tits).
ive worked at lounges to restaurants to golf courses to clubs and its a good job with decent pay and you meet a lot of people. clubs are definatly where the money is, i never made it to bartending there because i moved but i know the good bartenders amde 200+ a night in tips, and you learn that you never get 1 oz in a drink at a nightclub ;) thats how the moneys made

00sir
11-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Sure money in night clubs can be good, but it can also be shit. Night clubs are really all over the place as far as money goes. If I were you I'd try being a BA at a pub and move up from there, cause the money's alot more consistent.

2002civic
11-25-2004, 01:23 PM
thats true, plus the hours at a club suck(cash out done by 4-5 am) plus i know some owners liek to screw employees over, starting as a b.a. at a pub with no experience is difficult though, u need to know someone to get in half the time

ryder_23
11-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
, and you learn that you never get 1 oz in a drink at a nightclub ;) thats how the moneys made

No, you can get a 1oz drink. Just never order in multiples, and dont let them mix it in the shaker thing :D

2002civic
11-25-2004, 06:26 PM
haha even if u get one drink they short pour, speed spouts pour an oz every 4 seconds and bartenders go so fast with the shot glass they turn it when its half full and you cant even tell, shaker tins add water into the mix as the ice melts so i thnk its every 3 0z's of alcohol that goes in makes 4 oz's of liquid come out and they charge you for 4 shots

00sir
11-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
haha even if u get one drink they short pour, speed spouts pour an oz every 4 seconds and bartenders go so fast with the shot glass they turn it when its half full and you cant even tell, shaker tins add water into the mix as the ice melts so i thnk its every 3 0z's of alcohol that goes in makes 4 oz's of liquid come out and they charge you for 4 shots
Soo true

'93 SR-V
11-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Yeah, the course isn't needed, and probably won't land you a job. (Not to say that it won't help, but a resume with experience is going to take the job over the resume boasting "tar bending 101"). I know a girl who took a mixology course at SAIT here in Calgary, and she said it was a load of crap. They teach you a bunch of particulars, but most of it you won't use often enough to retain for any extended period of time.

For the most part, bartending is a pretty simple job, I mean any shit-tard can figure out what goes in a vodka seven, you don't need to go to school for that.

The way I see it, you can start at the bottom, work hard and try to move up the chain, or you can lie out your ass and plaster your friends all over your resume (Personally I sugest the later of the two).

badseed
11-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Yeah......I took the course about 4 years ago and it was a waste of time for the most part. Basic drinks and cocktails, bar etiquette, bar terms, basic wine knowledge, liquor and how it's made shit like that. Most of the time your mixing drinks at the restaraunt in sait (forget what it's called). It didn't land me a job but at least I got drunk a few times for free.

Oh yeah!! One project is to invent your own drink, I made "the panty dropper". Pretty much a strawberry juilius with 3oz mailbu in it that could not be tasted, hence the panty dropper!!

danno567
11-29-2004, 10:56 PM
get some experience, and you can take that job
around the world. I did and its fun to bartend
in different countries.

legendboy
11-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Fine arts bartending school will not get you a job as a bartender.

Unfortunatly, you kind of need an "in" somewhere. Or start off at some ass burger pub somewhere.

rebiffal26@aol.
05-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Bartending schools are indeed a waste of time...and money. However, there is an online course I have seen, and it is completely free. Not sure if we are allowed to post links here, but here is the site:
www.totallyfreebartending.com

Either take a free course like this, read a good book on the matter, or find someone willing to take you on with no exp and learn as you go!