PDA

View Full Version : CD Decks Vs. Turntables

GreenLude
11-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Which would be the best choice for someone trying to get into DJingt?
CD decks or Truntables?

little_wan
11-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Turntables are the real deal. You get the joy of collecting records and you get a lot better control of the technical skills involved in DJ'ing. Downside is records get expensive

CD turntables are convinient, and the nice ones can do just about anything, but it just doesn't have the same feel.

I myself prefer turntables, but that's just me

DJ Lazy
11-24-2004, 08:42 PM
If you are tight on money, I would recommend CD tables for getting started as you won't have to pay for vinyl for awhile... if you have constant cash flow coming in then go with TT's, as you will be able to afford vinyl, OR your third option is to get one of each.. I know my buddy has one of each, and it works for him... that way you the best of both worlds kinda...

I am actually looking to sell my whole setup soon. PM me if you want more info.

64SON
11-24-2004, 09:45 PM
why not both . . . :bigpimp:

DJ Lazy
11-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by 64SON

I thought thats what I said... :dunno:

little_wan
11-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Both would be expensive
the CDJ's are not cheap
the 1000's run for like 2200 or something don't they?

2 turntables + 2 CDJ 1000's + mixer + headphones+ speakers + needles=:eek:

GreenLude
11-25-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by 64SON

Yeah i wish i could have both

Thanks for your input guys

DJ Lazy
11-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by little_wan
Both would be expensive
the CDJ's are not cheap
the 1000's run for like 2200 or something don't they?

2 turntables + 2 CDJ 1000's + mixer + headphones+ speakers + needles=:eek:

Hmmm my idea of both, was one of each, not 2 of each... :drool: . I could be wrong but I though the 1000's were down at like 15-1600 nowadays... :dunno:

The EquAzn
11-25-2004, 10:53 AM
If you want to really get serious

get your regular decks and a mixer
then buy "scratch pro" or "scratch logic" (forget the name)

which is hardware/software that lets you plug your laptop into your mixer and actually cut over and mix mp3s... that's like 600 bucks.

You can get "the NEW SHIT NEW SHIT!" on mp3 before you get your record from your record pool... it will save you moneys on both records and CDs -

This is under the assumption you already have a laptop, but everyone has one nowadays and you can get old ones for cheap.

GreenLude
11-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by The EquAzn
get your regular decks and a mixer
then buy "scratch pro" or "scratch logic" (forget the name)

Do you mean Final Scratch?

The EquAzn
11-25-2004, 12:11 PM
^^ lol, yeah that's the one
Either way, it eliminates the need for a CD mixer too.

little_wan
11-25-2004, 02:06 PM
^i think you still plug it into the mixer. Its just MP3's played on a special vinyl disk
No mixer would eliminate the need for a DJ all together :P

But definitley a good choice as well. Dumonde used final scratch at impact.

DannyO
11-25-2004, 07:27 PM
If you go the way of the Vinyl Control units like Final Scratch, go for Serato Scratch Live instead, its really good, has proven itself many times, but if you want the latest and greatest tracks before most people, go the real vinyl route, you can't find most of the shit thats on vinyl in mp3 form, plus if you end up trying to promote yourself or want to get into clubs, theres 2 things, 1) unless the MP3 is 192K or higher bitrate...it will sound like shit for sure, and 2) don't rip of the guys who make this great music, be legit, plus if you get found in a club playing some MP3s you downloaded, well thats not gonna go down to well.

The vinyl route will be cheaper for the good gear vs good CD gear, but vinyl is of course a shitload more than a CD, but honestly, theres nothin like record hunting and spinning a big round peice of wax under your fingers.

My advice, get a couple credit cards and max the fucker out.:D :D

GreenLude
11-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by DannyO
, but honestly, theres nothin like record hunting and spinning a big round peice of wax under your fingers.

My advice, get a couple credit cards and max the fucker out.:D :D

I am leaning more towards TT's. It seems almost everyone i have talked to said the same thing.

Mr_John
11-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Turntables are much better than cd's
like the rest have said, the feel of vinyl is just a lot better and more fun to spin with.

Final Scratch is good for DJ's that travel around a lot but, for the home DJ's and not so big DJ's, I think $500 would be better put into a better mixer or more vinyl.

Dont buy Final Scratch and think that you can just download all your songs and mix with that, because 1. like DannyO has said, the quality will SUCK if its not at a high bitrate and 2. lots of downloadable mp3's dont have a begin and end thing in their songs that is needed to work on Final Scratch. (read this on a forum awhile back)

You decide what kind of turntables and mixer you're gonna get yet? and what kind of music are you planning to spin?

My advice is get Technics turntables.

DannyO
11-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mr_John
2. lots of downloadable mp3's dont have a begin and end thing in their songs that is needed to work on Final Scratch. (read this on a forum awhile back).

This is very true, and without these intros and outros, you can't really do a smooth transition, like my buddy the other day got 2 CDJ1000s and a DJM600, he doesn't have any music to mix, and nor do I on CD, so I took over a couple mix CDs like Ministry Of Sound and the like, well these have already been mixed, so the intros and outros are basically used and gone, and let me tell ya, trying to mix with these tracks are insane, you just can't make it sound good.

Also, like I said, if you want the best in EDM music, it nearly all comes out on Vinyl before CD or even being able to find it as an MP3, unless its been ripped from a liveset.

The EquAzn
11-26-2004, 07:31 PM
oh, I see

GreenLude
11-26-2004, 07:48 PM
You decide what kind of turntables and mixer you're gonna get yet? and what kind of music are you planning to spin?

I was thinking of looking for some used turntables and a mixer. I don't know what i plan on spinning yet, i like such a wide range of music that it's hard to pick one to start with.

DannyO
11-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by GreenLude

I was thinking of looking for some used turntables and a mixer. I don't know what i plan on spinning yet, i like such a wide range of music that it's hard to pick one to start with.

Well your style only comes into play really when you get a mixer, if you plan to spin vinyl, you get pretty much the same thing as anybody spinning any other type of music, either the popular Tech12s or the TTX or Vestaxs, which have some more options but are kinda gimmicky for me.

But for mixers it really depends on what you wanna do, if its hiphop or EDM or turntablism, then it makes a huge difference in what you will get.

GreenLude
11-27-2004, 11:18 AM
So If I decide to spin Hip Hop I would get a different mixer than if I decide to spin something else like Trance?

DJ Lazy
11-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Precisely... If you are spinning hiphop you with be doing more scratching and really won't need ane effects unit. For scratching you would want a mixer with a really good Crossfader made for scratching and takin abuse. Whereas Trance DJ's use the upfaders more than a crossfader aswell as an Effects unit.

Just two different styles of mixing. same concept but done differently.

DannyO
11-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Well hip hop DJS still use effects but not as much, for a EDM DJ, they would be lookin at DJM600, Ecler Nuo5, Denon X1500, Vestax PCV-275, where as a Hip Hop DJ could use these but would want a mixer with more features in the crossfaders and upfaders like Lazy said, the Nuo5 is good for this as it has a conductive xfader, from there Hak320 scratch mixer, its prolly the best xfader in the world, but I see most hiphop and turntablist would use something like a Rane TTM56, but let me know what style you wanna go into and I'll give recommendations as to what mixers to look for.

CKY
11-27-2004, 11:33 PM
say if i had some interest in DJing, is this something cheap or easy to get a start on?

Mr_John
11-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by CKY
say if i had some interest in DJing, is this something cheap or easy to get a start on?

cheap: not really.... it gets pretty damn expensive
once you get the equipment, it doesnt get cheaper either
Each vinyl is 1 song usually, and that'll cost $15 + per song.

Easy: Far from easy, DJ'ing is harder than some may thing.
Hip Hop/Electronic
it doesnt matter, its pretty hard for the first little bit.

DannyO
11-28-2004, 02:39 PM

cheap: not really.... it gets pretty damn expensive
once you get the equipment, it doesnt get cheaper either
Each vinyl is 1 song usually, and that'll cost $15 + per song.

Easy: Far from easy, DJ'ing is harder than some may thing.
Hip Hop/Electronic
it doesnt matter, its pretty hard for the first little bit.

What he said.

Buying the equipment is the cheap part, and that can still run you afew Gs, but when you gotta keep getting vinyl, it adds up fast and soon passes what you paid for your equipment, my gear is about $3400 brand new, yet my vinyl collection is worth about $6000 or more (got some expensive rare records).

As for learning, it depends on how far you wanna go, what style you do, and it also depends on the individual, some people can get the basics down pretty fast, like afew months, others can take years, its a hobby you got to commit yourself to for well many years :D if you really wanna get good, and then you will end up getting addicted to vinyl, and thats bad, it honestly would be cheaper for me if I was a crackhead.

mike_papps
12-03-2005, 01:36 PM
so i myself as well have been looking into djing or starting.. but i just wanna mix tracks and maybe end up buring them onto cd for my personal collection. i will be doing more hiphop then anything else as i absolutly love the old school vibe. scratching will be a large part but still mixing and fading.. i want to be able to see if its something i should get into.. im not scared of the money issue.. i just dont wanna buy something and not like it.. if im into it ill stay... any suggestions with buying a setup used? how much should i be looking at for 2 turntables and a mixer just to see if i like it.. I live in medicine hat so unfortunatly the scene here isnt as good as calgary so i just cant go play around with someones or test anything out...

mike_papps
12-03-2005, 01:37 PM
and as well... does anyone know any local hiphop dj's mixing tracks that you can buy or hear? id like to support the locals...

DJ Lazy
12-04-2005, 11:43 AM
This thread is over a year old... :rofl:

A set of used Technics go for about $700 on average...

mike_papps
12-04-2005, 01:37 PM
is there different kinds of turntables that i should use for different styles of music? like for instance im going to be doing hiphop.. or are they all the same... and what kinda mixer should i be looking at? i dont want anything expensive.. i just wanna find out if it is something im gonna be into longterm...

DannyO
12-04-2005, 03:57 PM
No, a turntable is a turntable, that said, you want one that works perfectly, and the only ones that have proven this over time are the technics 1200/1210, it doesn't matter what MK you get aslong as it is that model number, as for mixers, well since you wanna do hiphop, you should be looking at scratch mixers, these are normally 2 channels and don't have much in features except a very good crossfader which is the most important with scratching, do see some good mixers, check out the new Gemini UMX mixers, they are cheap but work good, if you want slightly better, check out the Ecler Hak series of mixers, these are very good and very well built, but if you want something that your not gonna want to upgrade then go get the Rane TTM 56, this is the king dingaling of scratch mixers, there are other top notch ones otu there, but this mixer is like the Technics of mixers, well built and has proven itself, also if you are only wanting to get some good beginner stuff, also check out Denons new scratch mixers, have heard some good things about them, but they haven't been around too long to really be tested.

EK 2.0
12-04-2005, 04:00 PM
One werrd...

Serato...

My homie is hooking me up with his old shit...and dun showed me the Serato. And strait up...that shit is ill. You basically get two "digital" LP's and then on your record turntables that USB into your laptopn or desktop, you can spin any MP3 file and DJ like Flex...its wow...

Street_Soldier
12-04-2005, 04:54 PM
listen to DannyO

DannyO
12-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
One werrd...

Serato...

My homie is hooking me up with his old shit...and dun showed me the Serato. And strait up...that shit is ill. You basically get two "digital" LP's and then on your record turntables that USB into your laptopn or desktop, you can spin any MP3 file and DJ like Flex...its wow...

:werd: Serato Scratch Live is a killla app, I'd recommend you check it out, the only real alternative to that program is Final Scratch 1 and 2, I'd stay clear of these, they just ain't as good as Serato IMO, this program and gear is about 850 bux, if thats too much, look into Ms Pinky, DJDecks, these are cheaper alternatives, but require certain hardware like a top notch ASIO soundcard, but if you want a decent card or already own one, then this would be your best route, especially if you got into producing.

If your interested in more vinyl control apps, also check out PCDJ Scratch, MixVibes DVS2 and D-Vinyl 2020, these vary in prices, and I also don't know how they compare to Serato and FS2, but if you want to play it safe, go for Serato, unless you want to go the CDJ route.

Mr_John
12-04-2005, 07:26 PM
those type of apps are pointless for the beginners... no?
you still need to buy the vinyl and record them onto the computer which is a hassle and a bitch unless you play on the road a lot

and you cant download due to quality and the way a song is built, downloads dont have a start or end or something? (was interested in final scratch but read a thread on it @ another forum)

EK 2.0
12-04-2005, 07:32 PM
those type of apps are pointless for the beginners... no?
you still need to buy the vinyl and record them onto the computer which is a hassle and a bitch unless you play on the road a lot

and you cant download due to quality and the way a song is built, downloads dont have a start or end or something? (was interested in final scratch but read a thread on it @ another forum)

With Serato no. Because they give you 2 "LP's", and then you provide the music. Your turntables are hooked up to your PC via USB, and you use the LP's provided as "blanks". They will playback whatever music file you are currently playing on your PC. Whether you ripped it off of a CD or D/Led it.

Just wait till EK 2.0 is a wicky-wickying...

Mr_John
12-04-2005, 07:38 PM

With Serato no. Because they give you 2 "LP's", and then you provide the music. Your turntables are hooked up to your PC via USB, and you use the LP's provided as "blanks". They will playback whatever music file you are currently playing on your PC. Whether you ripped it off of a CD or D/Led it.

Just wait till EK 2.0 is a wicky-wickying...

but then you would still need to buy the vinyl and record the song onto the computer

i guess its more convienent cuz you dont need to find the record, bend over, and its all there for you. plus your record wont get all worn and torn.

since you're getting it from your friend thats awesome
but for a beginner i dont think it would be worth the extra 7-900 bucks.

i guess my point is
unless you're a superstar dj i wouldnt really buy it unless you have money to burn

Mr_John
12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
ek spinning.... hip hop?

EK 2.0
12-04-2005, 07:45 PM
but then you would still need to buy the vinyl and record the song onto the computer

i guess its more convienent cuz you dont need to find the record, bend over, and its all there for you. plus your record wont get all worn and torn.

since you're getting it from your friend thats awesome
but for a beginner i dont think it would be worth the extra 7-900 bucks.

i guess my point is
unless you're a superstar dj i wouldnt really buy it unless you have money to burn

No, Ima have to cop Serato on my own...hes setting me up with his turntables and a truckload of vinyl to get me started...

From my understanding, cause he used to DJ, all the jockeys now use Serato or the like, instead of having to lug like 10 krates around and shit. Now its one krate for back-up and then your PC. Because I know that most club DJ's get promo albums from record companies. So instead of them hooking you up with vinyl axe for compacts...and you should be good to go right??

ek spinning.... hip hop?

and I won't be spinning per-say...just goofing around...Always wanted to scratch and shit...so now I get the chance to see if I can be Cut Creator...

Mr_John
12-04-2005, 07:51 PM

From my understanding, cause he used to DJ, all the jockeys now use Serato or the like, instead of having to lug like 10 krates around and shit. Now its one krate for back-up and then your PC. Because I know that most club DJ's get promo albums from record companies. So instead of them hooking you up with vinyl axe for compacts...and you should be good to go right??

krates are heavy and a bitch
but you're right
if you play at clubs or parties often
it would be good to have a app. such as that

little_wan
12-04-2005, 08:01 PM
as far as bitrate goes, you can pay for high quality mp3 downloads now.

DannyO
12-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by little_wan
as far as bitrate goes, you can pay for high quality mp3 downloads now.

Yup, you don't have to buy the records and then convert them to MP3, as for the issue with shitty quality and not being full tracks, thats when you download the illegal shit from P2P software, pay the small amount and get some good 320k full version tracks from certain sites and your good to go, there are plenty of these sites on the net.

EK 2.0
12-04-2005, 08:30 PM
a-wicky wicky...:D

Mr_John
12-05-2005, 03:34 AM
ok time to sell my TT's and get some cd-decks!
damn

2000_SI
12-06-2005, 12:36 PM
:hijack:

Ok, so Ive wanted to start recording some of my sets onto my laptop, as well as rippin my vinyl, but it doesnt have Audio In jacks.

Anyone recomend a good peripheral for my laptop?
(It would have to be USB)
I was looking at the Creative SB Live! 24-Bit External Sound Card, but I heard the sound quality isnt that great, so i was jsut wondering if I had any other options...

DannyO
12-06-2005, 01:49 PM
If you want pure sound quality, I'd check out the Echo Indigo range, especially the I/O model, plus its cardbus so is nice and portable and doesn't take up much room.
http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/p23319d-301db5a28c0f29dd6451b117283cee36.jpg

I'd only recommend the Sound Blaster range if you play alot of games, they also have a cardbus version of there Audigy 2 ZS.

2000_SI
12-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah no this is purely for sound quality. The main thing I need this for is recording onto my laptop.

Thanks man :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
12-06-2005, 09:58 PM
awicky-wicky...

DannyO
12-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
Yeah no this is purely for sound quality. The main thing I need this for is recording onto my laptop.

Thanks man :thumbsup:

I'd definately go for the Indigo then, its true 24/96k quality, unlike SB that just claims that they are.

If you want something with more features or has to be external, check out what M-Audio has to offer and also look into the Audio Trak Maya 44, this is a top quality card that has very good sound quality and many inputs, it can even be used for some of those Final Scratch type apps like djdecks or Ms Pinky.

Toms-SC
12-07-2005, 11:29 AM
awicky-wicky...

scratching ftl....

mike_papps
02-16-2006, 07:04 PM
So i was looking around and came across various stanton and numark dj kits? No i know right away people are gonna say there crap.. but why? Like i said previous ill spend the $400 that the kit is to get a ok mixer and learn if i like it. why are they so bad? I'm only going to be using it to mess around with and learn.. if im really into it and want to play with crowd and clubs ill step up to technics... are they really that bad for beginners? anyone learned on them?

EK 2.0
02-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by mike_papps
So i was looking around and came across various stanton and numark dj kits? No i know right away people are gonna say there crap.. but why? Like i said previous ill spend the $400 that the kit is to get a ok mixer and learn if i like it. why are they so bad? I'm only going to be using it to mess around with and learn.. if im really into it and want to play with crowd and clubs ill step up to technics... are they really that bad for beginners? anyone learned on them?

the hard part and trust me on this is beat matching...and I mena if you can learn to match in shitty gear think what you could do on a set of 1500 tecnics right??...

I am just cutting my teeth with matching and a lil wick-w-w-wicky but thats about it...