PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Nissan Pathfinder Transmission

hardevw
11-24-2004, 08:59 PM
I have recently bought a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE (automatic 4X4) from a private sale only couple days ago. Today, everything was working fine. But when I stopped it and tried to put in Reverse gear- the vehicle did not move. But it runs fine in Drive mode.
I am shocked. Is it the transmission problem? If yes, then I think, it should not move in Drive mode also.
Can anyone help and let me know what could be the cause. Also i will appreciate if someone can tell me the cost of transmission and labor in CAD.

cartechguy
11-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Check the tranny fluid level first,
/http://www.samarins.com/check/transmission.html/
if the level is OK, the tranny may be on its way to quit.
It moves in Drive mode because there is specific clutch pack responsible only for reverse gear, which is probably gone.
You can get a used one or rebuild the one you have.
The prices may vary from $1000CAD to $2500 for the part only and labor may be from $400 to $800 roughly.

Weapon_R
11-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Did you use the reverse gear before you bought it? You may be entitled to some help by the seller if you can prove that this problem existed before the sale.

And yes, it is definately a transmission-related problem. As for cost, you shouldn't pay much more than $1000 for a rebuilt transmission. I use this number because my parents replaced their Caravan transmission twice (3.3L V6 engine, so its not a small tranny) for about $800 each time.

hardevw
11-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. it has given a lot of consolation. Yes, the transmission had gone bad and i got it replaced with a used one for about 1100 CAD and labour was about 500. hope now the car moves well. can you give me some tips on how to maintain the transmission well so that it does break down again. i know that the fluid has to be changed after every 50-60K kms.
i will greatly appreciate your suggestions.