PDA

View Full Version : Mitsu EVOIII banned

CryoCarnage
11-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Is it banned in Canada? If it is then my friend is gonna be screwed when he finally gets it in from Cali. :( :whipped:

talonboi
11-25-2004, 11:33 AM
i believe if the vehicle is 15yrs old u can bring it into canada, i could be wrong:dunno:

QuasarCav
11-25-2004, 11:39 AM
The bumpers dont pass safety in Canada. When your budy gets it tell him not to drive it or else it goes into the impound lot.

Isn't that something you would look into before buying this supposed car?

CryoCarnage
11-25-2004, 11:49 AM
He still thinks that those are legal. Im pretty sure that the one he thinks is legal is an EVOVII but i think he thinks its an EVOIII :dunno:

heavyD
11-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
He still thinks that those are legal. Im pretty sure that the one he thinks is legal is an EVOVII but i think he thinks its an EVOIII :dunno:

It doesn't matter if it is an EVO VII or VIII. They aren't legal in Canada. Just another way the Canadian government can screw us. Preventing us from having one Japan's best exports.:thumbsdow

bspot
11-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

It doesn't matter if it is an EVO VII or VIII. They aren't legal in Canada. Just another way the Canadian government can screw us. Preventing us from having one Japan's best exports.:thumbsdow

How bout they spend the extra $100 to build one with decent bumpers? Its not that hard, most manufacturers seem to get it no problem.

cboyspimp
11-25-2004, 12:20 PM
buy an evo turbo?:thumbsup:

SwitchBlade
11-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by bspot

How bout they spend the extra $100 to build one with decent bumpers? Its not that hard, most manufacturers seem to get it no problem.

I think the problem they had was that they couldnt design a different bumper that would accomadate the large front mount intercooler. The designers at Mitsubishi are working on it for next model of the EVO last time i heard.

dsmer
11-25-2004, 12:34 PM
He would have to get the Evo registered and insured in the USA and then bring it here with US plates.

heavyD
11-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by bspot

It isn't the bumper, it's the intercooler. A front end crash with an EVO costs more to fix due to the intercooler being damaged. There are no new cars with FMIC's in canada or the US with the excepiton of the SRT4.

Aleks
11-25-2004, 12:45 PM
I find it hard to believe the engineers couldn't figure out how make a better bumper when they can design a whole damn car. If I were Mitsu I wouldnt do it either. Screw Canadian gov. If it's good enough for the US market why shouldn't it be good enough here. :bullshit:

JAYMEZ
11-25-2004, 12:58 PM
^^^ Because the US gov thinks a lot of crap is safe when its not.

7thgenvic
11-25-2004, 01:33 PM
i hope your friend didn't buy the car off ebay! hahah, damn the shit they tell you when your about to buy a car "is the car legal in canada" oooooo yaaaa

its alot harder then you think to register a car in the US and then drive it in Canada! ALOT HARDER, i know this because we have 2 cars in the garage registered in the US

bspot
11-25-2004, 02:15 PM

It isn't the bumper, it's the intercooler. A front end crash with an EVO costs more to fix due to the intercooler being damaged. There are no new cars with FMIC's in canada or the US with the excepiton of the SRT4.

So is there a safety concern with this?

I'm assuming so, because it is the govenments job to ensure that its citzens are safe in the vehicles they purchase. If they are safe, but it just costs a shit load to fix thats where insurance steps in with bigger premiums.

:dunno:

JCX
11-25-2004, 03:37 PM

The PT Turbo has a front mounted IC as well. I think Cobra's and Lightning's have front mounted heat exchangers for their IC's, granted much smaller than FMIC's.

The point is, if other companies can build cars that comply, Mitsu should be able to as well. If the Evo complied with our standards, they could sell it. Blame Mitsu.

SwitchBlade
11-25-2004, 03:43 PM
I dont think they will re adjust the bumper for Canadas specifications. My bet is that its not worth is as sales would not increase that much. One of the reasons we dont get the Ford Gt is because there are more in sales in California alone than in Canada. They probably dont think its worth it in the long run to produce a EVO for Canada. :thumbsdow

Sorath
11-26-2004, 12:11 AM
just tell ur friend to use an american plate, tis all good

t-im
11-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
just tell ur friend to use an american plate, tis all good

yeah, and then when he crashes..there goes 50k + if it's with another car, his ass being sued for no insurance..or something of the like

Zephyr
11-26-2004, 12:49 AM
dont you guys just wish you live in this war loving country now?;)

boi-alien
11-26-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
dont you guys just wish you live in this war loving country now?;) nope at least we don't have a monkey running our country! ;)

GoChris
11-26-2004, 10:23 AM
ya the pt cruiser turbo as mentioned also has it, as it uses the same engine/setup as the srt4.

the srt4 has some sort of bar above the fmic since its not that tall of one, which is for the safety i think. it has to be removed when peeps put in larger after market fmic's which I am assuming wont help them in a crash.

I would think if mitsu made a smaller fmic and had some bar for reinforce or something it might pass? :dunno:

redline
11-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by boi-alien
nope at least we don't have a monkey running our country! ;)

no we just vote in assclowns!

fist
11-26-2004, 11:05 AM
a cop would not be able to tell that the bumpers on the mitsu evoIII are not legal in canada.

"oh look at that car down the street there!!! ITS BUMPERS ARE NOT WITHIN SPEC ACCORDING TO CANADIAN LAWS!!! LETS GET HIM!!!"

JCX
11-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by rlde.us
ya the pt cruiser turbo as mentioned also has it, as it uses the same engine/setup as the srt4.

the srt4 has some sort of bar above the fmic since its not that tall of one, which is for the safety i think. it has to be removed when peeps put in larger after market fmic's which I am assuming wont help them in a crash.

I would think if mitsu made a smaller fmic and had some bar for reinforce or something it might pass? :dunno:

The PT Turbo's motor is indeed nearly the same, main difference being the intake manifold. The FMIC is slightly smaller as well I believe. On the SRT-4 there is a bumper beam above the FMIC. This does have to be removed to put in a larger IC, but some companies offer replacement beams as well. If you ever see an SRT-4 look above the IC and you'll see a black strip. That's the bumper bar.

You're right, Mitsu should be able to work around the regulations but chooses not to.

heavyD
11-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by redline
no we just vote in assclowns!

I totally agree. What's worse; a president hell bent on defending his country from terrorists or a priminister and party that blatantly steals money from hardworking taxpayers living the high life with our money. I'll take Bush!:D

hjr
11-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by dsmer
He would have to get the Evo registered and insured in the USA and then bring it here with US plates.
that wont work

Originally posted by fist
a cop would not be able to tell that the bumpers on the mitsu evoIII are not legal in canada.

"oh look at that car down the street there!!! ITS BUMPERS ARE NOT WITHIN SPEC ACCORDING TO CANADIAN LAWS!!! LETS GET HIM!!!"
the car itself is not allowed to be imported. the police would not have to measure the bumpers, just look at its registration. then the car is impounded and destroyed, hurray.

S14maniac
11-27-2004, 02:50 AM
canadian law is weird, well i see r32 rolling in vancouver now, and people were saying it was impossible a year ago, but now its abused, as for the bumper safety issue, yea thats very true, same with RX-7, they have the bumper issue with the US model i think.

7thgenvic
11-27-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by hjr

that wont work

the car itself is not allowed to be imported. the police would not have to measure the bumpers, just look at its registration. then the car is impounded and destroyed, hurray.

hahah word!! i love reading how retarded nooBs can be on this site, not just nooBs but people who don't really think about what they are saying before they type it! Yes there are R32's rolling in vancouver but the new ones do have american plates on them, and its not so simple just to SLAP A plate on that has washington or oregon on it!

fist you just made my nite with your stupidity! thanks for your 14 year old ideas! and S14maniac, are you talking about the RX-8????

Skylinelover
11-27-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by S14maniac
canadian law is weird, well i see r32 rolling in vancouver now, and people were saying it was impossible a year ago, but now its abused, as for the bumper safety issue, yea thats very true, same with RX-7, they have the bumper issue with the US model i think.
It was impossible last year.

S14maniac
11-27-2004, 12:22 PM
no im talking about rx-7, i was considering of importing a rx-7 a while ago but never got the chance because its alot of hassle... the bumper thing for example. I have a package that i reqested from the customs, it tells you what car you can import and what cant, but it also tells you what mods needs to be done in order to import it. The booklet is called "Transport Canada's
List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States" it will tell you everything you need to know

Sir Lancerlot
11-28-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by fist

True, but if he ever asks for your registration, which you don't have because you cant get it, you're in trouble :(

I really want an evo.. but it just can't happen yet. The next best thing i can do is to go JDM Source and throw a few bills down for a 4G63, and a tranny, and evolve my Lancer into an Evolution.. then I can top it with cherries by getting the evo VII conversion kit off eBay.:love:

2.0turbo
11-28-2004, 02:18 PM
This guy from mitsu told me that the evo9 is comming to canada. It will be based on the srt4 platform and run the infamous 4g63t. Basically a new bread of DSM's but not really. I hope it doesn't represent an awd turbo neon. That should be out in about a year and a half.

///M3
11-28-2004, 02:25 PM
A guy who used to work where i do owned a evo 8 and got it insured b4 they banned it. :dunno: hes got bc plates and everything.

H4LFY2nR
11-29-2004, 07:04 PM
^He must have lied to the insurance company about what exaclty the car was ( ie telling them it is a mitsubishi lancer). They would not let him register the car without insurance, and he could not get it insured as a evo. There was no time when it was legal, the government didn't just ban it, it was never allowed to be insured or registered in Canada, which really sucks for us.

toyboy88
11-29-2004, 07:57 PM
The day the evo FINALLY comes to canada = :clap: THANK YOU GOD!!!:clap: