PDA

View Full Version : Porsche going Hybrid?

benyl
11-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Porsche Looking to Toyota's 'Hybrid' Technology
AFX News Limited - November 23, 2004

Motor Trend

German sportscar maker Porsche is seeking hybrid electric-gasoline power technology from Japanese auto giant Toyota to develop eco-friendly vehicles, the Asahi Shimbun reported.

The newspaper said Toyota Motor Corp, which has already supplied its hybrid system to domestic rival Nissan Motor Co. and Ford Motor Co. of the United States, is willing to launch talks soon with Porsche on the technology transfer.

Porsche AG apparently approached Toyota because it would be too costly to develop its own hybrid technology, the newspaper said.

No official was immediately available at Toyota's head office to confirm the report. The German maker believes that a gasoline-based system befits the image of sportscars better than diesel engines, common in Europe as an answer to tightening emission controls, Asahi said.

A hybrid system combines an electric motor with a standard gasoline engine. It provides relatively pollution-free and silent travel at low speeds in urban areas using the electric motor, with more power available on open roads from the standard engine.

In 1997, Toyota became the first carmaker in the world to mass-produce hybrid cars when it unveiled the Prius. The company put on the market a modified Prius a year earlier which won the European car of the year award. The second-generation Prius runs an average 35.5 kilometers per liter, according to Toyota.

George_Reyes
11-29-2004, 11:25 PM
i dun think itd work out. hybrid means no power. porsche is all about german engineered power. not toyota hybrid engines. spit on porsche if this goes thrugh. What??? a 100hp 911. idont think so

ninjak84
11-30-2004, 12:18 AM
I think it's fantastic.

It's like having the popular quarter-back in High School promoting literacy. Making eco-friendly cars "cool" was probably the biggest problem up until now.
Porsche has the power to set trends and influence the market. Glad to see they're using it responsibly.

George_Reyes
11-30-2004, 12:33 AM
i think porsche shouldnt change anything. i mean porsche is one of the only companies that havent been bought out or merged with another company and seeing as how its toyotas hybrid system, not a good idea. Porsche should keep it real and stay porsche.

benyl
11-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by George_Reyes
i think porsche shouldnt change anything. i mean porsche is one of the only companies that havent been bought out or merged with another company and seeing as how its toyotas hybrid system, not a good idea. Porsche should keep it real and stay porsche.

Um, you do realize that the Cayenne is a complete departure from its "roots." Porsche also regularly co-ordinates with VAG (Volkwagen Audi group) and there are parts from VW in Porsches.

On your other point, hybrids actually produce way more power than a gas engine alone. Might want to do some research before you make that kind of a statement.

Porsche continues to make money because it is innovating. This is just another innovation to keep them going.

statick
11-30-2004, 12:34 PM
i just hope cuzza all this hybridness theres no immense lack of power

cycosis
11-30-2004, 03:20 PM
maybe they'll just hook up an electric motor to the turbo so it wont run off the exhaust:D , saw that at SEMA, it was like a nitrous button on the steering wheel! instant boost anytime, anywhere

George_Reyes
12-04-2004, 04:50 PM
yah. i had a look at those things. they cost about 1000 dollars and you have to recharge them all the time.