PDA

View Full Version : Santa vs the Grinch

GucciBoy
11-26-2004, 08:52 PM
I love Christmas, but I also hate this time of year. Too overhyped, too over rated (sorry dont mean to contractict myself there LOL)

1. Malls too busy, kids screaming, long lineups, peoples attitude and impatience.
3. Too much stress within family,
4. too much grief and people just wanting this, wanting that,
5. People taking things for granted,
6. Seeing the relatives that see maybe once every 10 years and they pretend to like you
7. Everyone expecting everything perfect
8. Being single yet again this Christmas
9. When people say..."So what did you get for Christmas" AHHHHHH this drives me nuts, It really pisses me off! It is not what I got, cause I don't want anything but happiness in life! I give to others and the ones who need it most! But when I hear a person complain about what they got "I only got socks from my auntie", I find it very disturbing!

and most of all...

People not realize the true meaning of Christmas, its not about what you get, its about what to be thankful for in life and the people in 3rd world countries.

GingeRRRBeef
11-26-2004, 09:03 PM
well being an adult sucks ... I remember Christmas used to be so exciting when I was a kid. But now, you realize that Christmas is a tool that the big corporations use to scam more money off us. What can ya do tho? :dunno:

GucciBoy
11-26-2004, 09:04 PM
True silver.

I know when I have kids, I am not going to buy them everything they want in life. It's all about discipline. My kids will appreciate each and every thing given to them in life.

no_joke
11-26-2004, 11:23 PM
That's a good way to look at things. :thumbsup:

My buddy's family doesn't even celebrate Christmas. They don't even buy gifts for each other but I've never seen a guy who gets more excited about Christmas. He's cheerful and always humming Christmas carols. He just sees Christmas as a festive holiday to enjoy his time off. Interesting, eh? Merry Christmas with no presents.

YCB
11-26-2004, 11:28 PM
i didn't realize christmas, valentines day, fathers day, mothers day ,, etc was all a scam until i watch the simpsons and they introduced "love day" haha..

people say christmas celebrates the birth of christ.. which is true.. but christ was born in the summer.. according to lunar calender.. haha

treg50
11-26-2004, 11:33 PM
I agree. Christmas has become commercialized and big-business is exploiting the sentiments of the season. It's basically supposed to be a good, simple, giving time of year. It's rarely about just enjoying and spending time with those close to you -- I know this is a problem for some people. Luckily (I guess) for my family we/ my parents never really had the money to even consider asking for amazing, cool, expensive items. So from early on as kids, we learned about not being able to get whatever we wanted. Boxing day was when I'd get a few things that I wanted only if they were on sale.

As an adult work and the company's most of us work for, just ruin the whole season. As a kid, you'd be setting up for Christmas early in November!!! It was awesome! Christmas really did seem like a season. As an adult Christmas seem to pass by before you realize it!! :( :guns: And I hate that. I remember Christmas as a kid as just time off. A slow time, waking up and not rushing to school or anything, to go and play in the snow in the front yard, to just go and play videogames or watch TV in the basement in my pajamas right after breakfast. As an adult, it's like "where the hell is my slowtime?" my company is open to half-day on December 24th! As an adult I don't even care about what I get, I just want to feel the relaxation, the simpleness, the goodness, just the spirit of the Christmas season again, like it used to be. I want to spend a lot of time with my lady, I don't even care if I get presents! :)

Here's the important part of my wish list (as I put in this other thread: Christmas Presents (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66396&perpage=40&pagenumber=2))

Here's my wish list of important things that I'd want above anything else:
- lots of time with my gf
- a safe and enjoyable Christmas time
- a white Christmas!!!! (it's been a long time since I've seen a really snowy Christmas)
:)

civic_stylez
11-27-2004, 12:32 AM
christmas is a time to relax and enjoy time with your family...but i must admit this is the most stressful time of year both financially and time wise. and the only people who really benefit from christmas is the credit card companies...its hard to name one person who isnt broke after christmas....

Melinda
11-27-2004, 02:53 AM
I've always LOVED christmas, everything about it actually. I look at the crowds, the attitudes ect as a sign of people wanting to make their loved ones happy (even if it is a pain or an inconveniance) Putting up the tree is always awesome fun, the music is awesome cause you only get to listen to it for a mmonth a year. I LOVE buying gifts for my family and friends that I know will make them super happy or will mean alot to them and always put lots of thought into what I buy. Seeing their faces when they open it up is priceless to me! Working at the malls kinda sucks around christmas time (I did this alot in high school) but usually if you stay positive and dont let the busyness get to you than people are usually pretty nice to you!

I'm unsure of what I believe religiously, but to me, christmas has, is, and always will be an unbelievable time with my family. Christmas eve, christmas day and boxing day are all spent with those closest to me and I wouldn't trade those three days for any other day of the year :)