PDA

View Full Version : S7...can drive upside down ?

Moe Man
11-26-2004, 11:16 PM
i was watching this show about super cars and they where talking about the saleen S7 and how it can create a downforce of its own weight. so in other words if you got the right speed, you would be able to drive on a roof of a tunnel or something.

is this true or was i day dreaming ?

crazydriver
11-26-2004, 11:24 PM
yea i heard the same thing for the Mcleran F1's, pretty sweet thing.. but how would u ever test it??:dunno:

Skylinelover
11-26-2004, 11:26 PM
^ By giving me 100 million dollars

Phy
11-27-2004, 12:08 AM
It'd be pretty tough to drive it though. For one, if it's generating it's own weight in downforce, then once it's upside down, those two forces should cancel, and you've got an airplane instead of a car. So you'd want to generate more than its own weight. Even then, you've got a car that is pretty much pressing against the road with less than it's normal force - like always driving over the crest of a sharp hill.

Still it'd be fucking hilarious to watch.

Z_Fan
11-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Unfortunately it would need to create far more downforce than the just weight of the car. If not, it would be like driving on ice, because there would be no friction for the tires. The smallest of 'bumps', in fact, even just having the force from the tire wanting to turn, would cause the car to drop to the ground. In fact, it would have to create several hundred pounds more downforce than what the car weighs. I'd say about 800 lbs. Just to keep the car in the upsidedown state and still be able to hit imperfections on the road....err....roof...

Zero102
11-27-2004, 01:40 AM
LMAO, this thread cracks me up, but only because I watched MIB the other night....

ZorroAMG
11-27-2004, 12:57 PM
The F1 and the Enzo can also do it....theoretically.

Seanith
11-27-2004, 05:55 PM
I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to try it with cars worth that much.

kanjus_paki
11-27-2004, 06:19 PM
so if ur going fast enough youll just turn upside down?

dsmer
11-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by kanjus_paki
so if ur going fast enough youll just turn upside down?

no you need a tunnel and slowly edge upside down

iceburns288
11-27-2004, 07:52 PM
The F1 can't do it, that's how it gets a crazy top speed because of the low-downforce pacakge. It actually creates lift at speed, obviously not more than the weight of the car but enough so that the car weighs less at 200mph than still. The Enzo is quite the opposite, it weighs more than 5000 pounds at 186mph...:eek:

Team_Mclaren
11-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
The F1 can't do it, that's how it gets a crazy top speed because of the low-downforce pacakge. It actually creates lift at speed, obviously not more than the weight of the car but enough so that the car weighs less at 200mph than still. The Enzo is quite the opposite, it weighs more than 5000 pounds at 186mph...:eek:

.... this statement is quite misleading.. how's the enzo design different from the F1 Areo wise? they are BOTH build for top speed

It began with the fitment of their GTR-inspired High Downforce Package which dramatically improved high speed road holding and stability. Later additional improvement was requested to increase the aerodynamic capability of the car in an effective but visually subtle manner thus it was decided to add louvres to the tops of the front wings and balance the rear end of the car with a 4mm 'Gurney flap'. Documented testing at Bruntingthorpe proving ground in May 2000 evaluated these additions and the conclusion was the following; `The additional downforce enhances the existing levels of grip and stability and provides a great feeling of confidence and security, particularly at high speed.

ryder_23
11-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

Low downforce? dont f1 cars generate madd downforce? thats how they actually stick to the ground at those speeds, and when they hit a bump, they can loose downforce, which sends them possibly spinning off the track? isnt the enzos design very similar to f1 car? (within some retrospec)

please correct me, cause now i'm confused

AcuraTl
11-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Lol who would try it? going that fast, then going upside down, then ur foot slips, OMG!!! gravity takes affect and u fall to your death :poosie:

CKY
11-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by AcuraTl
Lol who would try it? going that fast, then going upside down, then ur foot slips, OMG!!! gravity takes affect and u fall to your death :poosie:

for fame? why do you think they have guiness book of world records

DUBBED
11-28-2004, 12:00 AM
They should just make a big version of the pipe at millenium for shits and giggles and drive the enzo around and around. I could watch that for hours. :thumbsup:

Primer_Drift
11-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23

Low downforce? dont f1 cars generate madd downforce? thats how they actually stick to the ground at those speeds, and when they hit a bump, they can loose downforce, which sends them possibly spinning off the track? isnt the enzos design very similar to f1 car? (within some retrospec)

please correct me, cause now i'm confused

Absolutely right, iceburn must have been smoking something. The introduction of sideskirts to f1 cars in the 70-80s (?not sure when) started increasing the speeds the cars could run because of an increase in down force. Air travelling under the car faster than over the car causes downpressure (bernouli affect). The sideskirts got so low they were practically touching the ground, unfortunetly the extra downpressure made it very difficult to turn and some major accidents started happening. The rules were changed regarding chassis design and a limit was placed on sideskirt height.. sorry for the trivia watched that on TLC or somethin a while back.

Edit: Lol just look at an F1 car.. do the spoilers look like they are tilted up at the front? I've seen video of these things get airborne when they loose downpressure. Its essential for speed, period.

962 kid
11-28-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift

Absolutely right, iceburn must have been smoking something. The introduction of sideskirts to f1 cars in the 70-80s (?not sure when) started increasing the speeds the cars could run because of an increase in down force. Air travelling under the car faster than over the car causes downpressure (bernouli affect). The sideskirts got so low they were practically touching the ground, unfortunetly the extra downpressure made it very difficult to turn and some major accidents started happening. The rules were changed regarding chassis design and a limit was placed on sideskirt height.. sorry for the trivia watched that on TLC or somethin a while back.

Edit: Lol just look at an F1 car.. do the spoilers look like they are tilted up at the front? I've seen video of these things get airborne when they loose downpressure. Its essential for speed, period.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the mclaren f1, not formula one cars lol

Team_Mclaren
11-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the mclaren f1, not formula one cars lol

the think is, Mclaren F1 was based on the Formula one car...

Primer_Drift
11-28-2004, 03:03 AM
^ I thought it was a Le Mans prototype, wasnt it? And the reason the Mc-F1 isnt being made anymore, because they lacked enough public sales to classify it as a production car.. Nevertheless I stand by my statement of needing downforce for speed, otherwise be prepared to fly!

^SkylinE^
11-28-2004, 03:18 AM
Give me a car the creates enough down for and i will try it! but youll have to make me a crazy ass tunnel to do it in!!!! One big full pipe.:thumbsup: hahah lol better yet build me a hotwheels track like you had when you were a kid with the loops and all that good stuff!:rofl:

C4S
11-28-2004, 12:33 PM
By the way, how many S7 already in town ? :confused:

I only know one, and he doesn't even drive that car !

Suppose 3 or 4 to Calgary ? :dunno:

BumpinTalon
11-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Formula One cars generate enough downforce they could most definitely stick to the roof of a tunnel. it helps that they only weigh ~600kg to start with.
The Enzo actually has more downforce at just under 200mph then it does above 200mph. The magazine (Car and Driver??) that did a top speed comparison between the Enzo, Carrera GT and Ford GT talked about that, how it generated a lot of downforce until a certain speed before it started to generate lift again in an effort to raise its top speed. It might not have been the top speed comparo, it might have just been a regular road test of the Enzo, I'm not sure anymore :)

Moe Man
11-28-2004, 05:28 PM
it not who is going to do it its just nice knowing that my car can drive upside down :nut:

Seanith
11-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
it not who is going to do it its just nice knowing that my car can drive upside down :nut:

YOUR car? :rofl:

jaysas_63
11-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

YOUR car? :rofl:

yo man those bonnevillies are the shit....espesially the doubles o's....they make F1's look like bitches lol.....jokes