PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 problem

srt-4newb
11-27-2004, 01:31 AM
Im new to the whole turbo engine thing and when i giver my car hops like a mf i mean i know ppl hop there srt-4's bad but mine hops higher then flood pants what are some quick ways to remedy this motor mounts maybe .... im just guessing since i know dick lol

Daxin
11-27-2004, 02:18 AM
Motor mounts can help it a little bit but not cure the problem. The reason why your hopping is because One wheel is spinning faster then the other.

vegas2005baby
11-27-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Daxin
The reason why your hopping is because One wheel is spinning faster then the other.

ummm, i think thats incorrect.

7thgenvic
11-27-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by vegas2005baby

thanks for the fucking stupid reply keep on being a post whore!

one solution may be to get stiffer motor mounts, if you pop your hood, rev and see how much play you engine has. a company called energy mounts makes a very good product.

the ghetto way is to use polyurethane and fill in your existing mounts which will work, but for you engine and since your putting alot of power to the wheels in that srt, i would say, find a mopar product that completly replaces your existing motor mounts with a full polyurethane mount! this will take away most wheel hop as well as engine movement!!!

GoChris
11-27-2004, 10:11 AM
ya man wheel hop in these cars is bad. motor mounts will help but not completely fix it. I need to fix mine too

Daxin
11-28-2004, 07:51 PM
You should also keep in mind that when you replace your mounts with Polyurethane, the car will vibrate like a bitch.

If you have a lot of cash, and wanna get rid of your wheel hops, one other method is to get LSD installed in your tranny OR does it already have something silimar?

gpomp
11-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

a company called energy mounts makes a very good product.
i think you mean energy suspension

finboy
11-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by vegas2005baby

i might have to agree here, the srt comes factory with an LSD to prevent wheel hop and lack of traction, so you don't get one wheel peel :burnout:

motor mounts, and i'm not sure if the srt still uses a bobble strut for the rear tranny mount, but you might want to get a stiffer one. also stiffen up the rear suspension.

keith303
11-29-2004, 01:56 AM
lsd

finboy
11-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by keith303
lsd

Originally posted by finboy

the srt comes factory with an LSD to prevent wheel hop and lack of traction

:devil:

kevie88
11-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Tires and suspension settings also have a role in wheel hop... more damping in the suspension usually helps.

rice_eater
11-29-2004, 12:07 PM
let off the gas a bit?? a lot of srt owners are getting horrible times at the track because they dont know how to launch and just spin the crap out of their tires :dunno: front motor mount and stickier tires will also help

GoChris
11-29-2004, 12:53 PM
there is quite a few threads on wheel hop fixes, I have been looking into some myself, but, i'd rather save $$ for stage 2 than to fix wheel hop. My solution is to not floor it in 1st gear.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97711&highlight=wheel+hop+fix

slans
11-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey guys,

I good way to fix your wheel hop is Traction Bushings. They are available at PSI. Check them out.

Instal DOG bones .. w/that

Bobs your uncle ! Zero wheel hop !

heavyD
11-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by finboy

i might have to agree here, the srt comes factory with an LSD to prevent wheel hop and lack of traction, so you don't get one wheel peel :burnout:

motor mounts, and i'm not sure if the srt still uses a bobble strut for the rear tranny mount, but you might want to get a stiffer one. also stiffen up the rear suspension.

1st year SRT4's didn't come with an LSD.

90_Shelby
11-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

1st year SRT4's didn't come with an LSD.

First year was also only offered in the States, so thats irrelevant up here in Canada Eh!!!;)

jersturbo
12-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Go to motor mount inserts or poly-filled mounts.

LSD are not for wheel-hop prevention, they are for torque distribution.

Wheel-hop is a function of the compliance (movement) between the suspension and chassis.

Next thing after motor mounts would be urethane suspension bushings.

PM...I've an extra set of motor mount inserts.

Originally posted by srt-4newb
Im new to the whole turbo engine thing and when i giver my car hops like a mf i mean i know ppl hop there srt-4's bad but mine hops higher then flood pants what are some quick ways to remedy this motor mounts maybe .... im just guessing since i know dick lol

CanadianR
12-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Caster also plays a big part in wheel hop. If you can add more positive (i believe, can't remeber if it's + or -) this will help eliminate the hop. Of course, i'm not sure if you can adjust this, but seeing as you've got MacPhersons i would guess you could somewhat (i can't do anything about mine with double wishbone suspension). If not, you could buy a camber kit which also allows caster changes.

GoChris
12-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by CanadianR
Caster also plays a big part in wheel hop. If you can add more positive (i believe, can't remeber if it's + or -) this will help eliminate the hop. Of course, i'm not sure if you can adjust this, but seeing as you've got MacPhersons i would guess you could somewhat (i can't do anything about mine with double wishbone suspension). If not, you could buy a camber kit which also allows caster changes.

yes but then arent you going to have uneven tire wear?

jersturbo
12-21-2004, 01:05 AM
Mostly wheel hop is a function of the weight shift, to rear suspension...and because the drive axles are no longer on plane with the lower control arms or the ground level.

Ideally, if the drive axles are in line/on plane with the control arms and ground level, then wheel hop and more so torque steer are decreased/gone.

Increasing castor would increase tire scrub radius, and reducing castor the opposite and would provide a 'twitchy' steering at speed.

I think weight jacking would be most effective (after change to stiffer motor mounts and suspension bushings) as reducing the rear end squat would allow less weight transfer to the rear, keeping it over the front drive tires.

You may be thinking about camber setting, where the alignment being done to zero toe and zero camber, with the front end jacked up to the heightest point at launch.

Originally posted by CanadianR

jersturbo
12-21-2004, 01:09 AM
rlde.us,

Like the "ABW" at screen bottom...want to scare friend :eek: with it...can you send me URL link please.

Thanks

iceburns288
12-21-2004, 01:31 AM
Just right click it to find out... it won't bite you...

jersturbo
12-21-2004, 01:42 AM
When I right-click and copy, I end up with a freeze frame of the pic...need the URL.

Originally posted by iceburns288
Just right click it to find out... it won't bite you...